Why do poles have such sloppy tolerance?

Discussion in 'Tutorials & DIY' started by fenderjaguar, May 22, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. fenderjaguar

fenderjaguar Well-Known Member

What I am talking about here, is why there is so much play between the poles, as one pole slots into another? I understand it's not going to be like an old style car aerial, but there could be much closer tolerances than this.

Most of the wobble in a nearly fully extended pole comes only from the play that there is between the connections of the pole, not from the strength of the aluminium itself. I noticed this right away when I used a single 10 foot section of a pole and compared to it 2 x 6 foot sections on another pole extended to 10 feet.

I took my unger teleplus and carefully, tightly wrapped selotape many times round the outside of the pole that goes into the bigger pole, right at the end, to give a closer fit. The difference is immediately noticeable, when you give yourself a couple extra mms (see crude diagram I posted). They could even have some kind of nylon washer (not washer, but I can't think of a word). I mean, I can understand them not wanting to get the tolerance too close, otherwise it could end up being hard to extend the poles, but the amount of play there was, as stock, on my teleplus was just ridiculous.

http://i.imgur.com/O6eiz4e.jpg

Advertisement
  2. cheapncheerful

hmmm yes....and then only a tiny bit of wear makes soooo much difference....poor banana is defo poorly with a spinning head sending me mad....

of course suppose you could just keep buying a new one....thats what they want...:D

I had expected on the small amount of work I do my pole to last a bit longer...

paintbrush where for art thou...:D

3. adamangler

adamangler Wakefield Window Warrior

buy a proper pole you tight :alien:

4. fenderjaguar

So you're saying there are other poles which have closer tolerance than the teleplus?

5. cheapncheerful

may be aimed at me but....

slx will come my way one day...

just need the work to justify it..:D

besides...me likes a muscle workout..

6. Smurf

Smurf Banned

Best follow tench0771 about then and you just might bag one as you pull his hose down the road trapped under yer car :D

7. tench0771

tench0771 Grand Master

8. Smurf

Smurf Banned

A lot of chaps seem to prefer to use hybrid or carbon wfp poles that can be used for trad, internal cleaning or wfp work rather than ali poles these days as like you say the clamps etc tend to be shite on ali trad poles. Which goes for harris type painting poles too.

I use my wfp's for all of the above also for guttering/roof inspections by mounting a gopro on the top and even gutter clearing using progutter tools on them.

A hybrid or full carbon wfp can be used for so many things but best you don't buy a banana (fibreglass pole) as the name suggest is whippy and heavy.

9. Jake

Jake Grand Master

Never had that problem with my gardiner or facelift poles,

Perhaps it's time for an upgrade op?

10. fenderjaguar

So jake and smurf, I should clarify I'm talking about trad here, not wfp.

But you're saying you can use a wfp as a trad pole as well?

Advertisement