Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Winter Work Gloves 2020

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I don't work if there's any chance of water freezing on the windows or pathways so that usually means 2 - 3 degrees minimum. I try to do as much WFP cleaning as possible until I break out the trad gear. I use my old ski gloves, if you keep them dry they're about as warm as you can get. Pointless wearing any gloves when the trad stuff comes out though (the later the better as it's only cold early on usually).

I just pay £1.99 a pair for crappy ones that last a week maybe 2 if im lucky, i dont suffer from cold hands so aslomg as they keep my hands clean im happy.

I just buy 5 pairs at a time they are elasticated backs with like a rubber palm and fingers

Cracking up at some of these comments . Good gloves really are the holy grail .

Christ knows the amount of pairs ive worn over the years . I've tried nitrile gloves underneath another pair as recommended above . Bit of a pain though and not the most comfortable all day long . Currently trying some thermal gloves from here : https://www.prontodirect.co.uk/thermal-work-gloves the grippy palm is great to be fair  . Holding up pretty well so far , will keep you posted though ?

Today I started out with Crewsaver sailing gloves with open ended thumb and forefingers. I couldn't work for more than a few minutes as I have reduced circulation in my hands. I then tried a pair of SITE KF 350 work gloves less than £5 I think, from screwfix. I've had them in the van for ages but had never worn them. They made a huge difference. My hands were warm enough for my liking and they weren't difficult to work and drive in and they seem quite robust. They aren't waterproof. I'd rather them not be so my hands can breath. My hands don't tend to get wet anyway, only slightly damp.

Thanks Scottish, I've just ordered a pair of SITE thermal gloves. I'll see how they are and probably try a pair of your suggested ones after. ??

I had a real bad day on Friday with gloves, went through 3 pairs including a £25 pair of seal skins, all just not suitable.  I've come to the conclusion that the problem is, with virtually all gloves, although they might keep your hands dry often the outside of the glove is not waterproof so they absorb water, this water then acts like a chilled blanket around your fingers which makes them cold, even with nitriles underneath it doesn't make a difference.

What I'm now going to do is order some extra large nitriles and put them on the outside of the gloves to see if it stops the gloves getting wet.  On a dry day the gloves are fine, but days like Friday where it was freezing rain it was impossible to work in with them, just lost all sensation in the fingers.

I had a real bad day on Friday with gloves, went through 3 pairs including a £25 pair of seal skins, all just not suitable.  I've come to the conclusion that the problem is, with virtually all gloves, although they might keep your hands dry often the outside of the glove is not waterproof so they absorb water, this water then acts like a chilled blanket around your fingers which makes them cold, even with nitriles underneath it doesn't make a difference.

What I'm now going to do is order some extra large nitriles and put them on the outside of the gloves to see if it stops the gloves getting wet.  On a dry day the gloves are fine, but days like Friday where it was freezing rain it was impossible to work in with them, just lost all sensation in the fingers.
Just get some cotton glove inserts (around £1 a pair) and wear these inside a pair of cut down industrial marigolds (around £2.50).

Warm and completely waterproof. Can even use these tradding 

Unfortunately Sealskins are not man enough for our use, expensive too.

Unfortunately Sealskins are not man enough for our use, expensive too.
Strange isn't it, you would expect a good brand to be able to design something suitable.  I'm sure we could design the perfect glove for all conditions, doesn't seem that difficult.  Steve's suggestion is a great idea.  Guess the people who design them never actually use them.

Argon extra- cost about a 5r... fleece lined and warm and still going after 2 years...

close thread 

I use a pair of disposable gloves (3 pairs a day normally lasts me), the plastic surgeon kind. These I tend to keep on between jobs as they aren't an issue and you can still use your phone with them etc. I then put a pair of cheap gloves (1.99) and a pair of thicker seal skin gloves over the top of those. Certainly don't feel the cold and my hands stay dry thanks to the disposable gloves. It was a necessary evil for me as my skin started to suffer from my hands constantly being wet.

I just use a cheap pair of thinsulate gloves with a pair of disposable over the top, make sure the disposable are larger else they split.. It's a cheap alternative and saves the faff of looking for the ideal pair... which lets be honest don't exist.

I use a pair of disposable gloves (3 pairs a day normally lasts me), the plastic surgeon kind. These I tend to keep on between jobs as they aren't an issue and you can still use your phone with them etc. I then put a pair of cheap gloves (1.99) and a pair of thicker seal skin gloves over the top of those. Certainly don't feel the cold and my hands stay dry thanks to the disposable gloves. It was a necessary evil for me as my skin started to suffer from my hands constantly being wet.
While you've got the gloves for it, I could do with a bit of a face lift. ?

Ahem! And a bit of augmentation lower down. ?

Back