Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

Pump problems

JoelLancaster

Been having trouble with my shurflo pump or possibly my digital controller today. I've got a flow valve on my hose and normally when I close it up the pump will stop but today it wasn't having any of it. It kept going and the hose ended up getting a hole in it from the pressure building up. Any one any ideas what it could be?

I second that, try recalibrating your controller. What controller is it? Normally I have my varistream around pressure setting a, no need to build up pipe bursting pressure. 

Also are you using a pressure switch with your pump? Because that has a manual setting on it that can be adjusted with an Alan key. Best to have the digital controller dead ending though (shows a red light) and use the pressure switch as a backup

varistream-digital-vsd6-user-guide-may-2011.pdf

Had this problem the past 2 days with one of mine. Was tearing my hair out over it. Had it working perfect this morning and then second house it played up again!!! Sure as hell as soon as I got home it started working again. Play with the callibration and it should get It going. 

My controller was initially looking like it was losing power and fading. Checked all connections etc and no problems. After I disconnected it and tried my other controller on the pump it magically worked again. I'm bringing a back pack tomorrow just incase it dicks about again 

Yep mine isn't working brilliantly either. Mine is a pure freedom pump. Tried calibrating it this morning but when I press the up button and enter button together it flashes 0.0 for a second and then goes back to showing my battery voltage. Am I doing something wrong?

Sounds to me like the pressure switch in the pump is burned out. They are pretty simple to change.

Then again I have no experience in how "smart" controllers work, I just use a pwm controller.

Sorry I meant pure freedom controller and shurflo pump. Anyone know why the controller would just flash 0.0 and then not go back to the voltage when trying to calibrate it?

6 hours ago, JoelLancaster said:

Yep mine isn't working brilliantly either. Mine is a pure freedom pump. Tried calibrating it this morning but when I press the up button and enter button together it flashes 0.0 for a second and then goes back to showing my battery voltage. Am I doing something wrong?

Ring Pure Freedom, they'll talk you through it.

You need to press the down button and enter to calibrate.

So I auto calibrated mine last night and all was well. It buggered about first thing this morning. I disconnected the pump from the controller as the controller wouldn't turn on and then reconnected it up again and it all magically started to work again. About 2pm today it just stopped and the controller wouldn't turn back on even with the pump disconnected. Not long home and I push the button and the controller turns on like nothing is wrong!!!

Is a new controller on the cards or what is the problem??? Doing my scone in 

On 24/08/2017 at 15:57, CHWS said:

So I auto calibrated mine last night and all was well. It buggered about first thing this morning. I disconnected the pump from the controller as the controller wouldn't turn on and then reconnected it up again and it all magically started to work again. About 2pm today it just stopped and the controller wouldn't turn back on even with the pump disconnected. Not long home and I push the button and the controller turns on like nothing is wrong!!!

Is a new controller on the cards or what is the problem??? Doing my scone in 

Any luck with your pump and controller mate? Just about to look at mine while I have got a day off today. 

like a few on here, I'm using a 20a pwm speed controller from eBay £4 and using the pressure switch on the pump. The micro switch on the pressure switch needs replacing every 1-2 years but I've just bought a pack of them for £1.65 each and takes a few mins to change.

3 hours ago, JoelLancaster said:

Any luck with your pump and controller mate? Just about to look at mine while I have got a day off today. 

I wired the pump directly to the battery and it was fine. And had a problem with my backpack and the dealer contacted me and they said if the controller is working and then not working its a wiring issue possibly due to corrosion. So I rewired everything And it seems to be fine. Will know tomorrow for sure if it's ok 

10 minutes ago, CHWS said:

I wired the pump directly to the battery and it was fine. And had a problem with my backpack and the dealer contacted me and they said if the controller is working and then not working its a wiring issue possibly due to corrosion. So I rewired everything And it seems to be fine. Will know tomorrow for sure if it's ok 

That would all make sense with my issues as well then. Seems like we have been having the same problem and when mine goes funny I fiddle with one of the connections and it all goes back to normal. Must be right that it is wiring troubles. Hope yours is all ok now. 

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.