Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Barrel cleaning

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Dominic roberts

Hi. I am new to this forum and indeed window cleaning. 

I am am using the wfp method and working out of my car with a backpack and barrels. 

I have just acquired 15 x 25l containers from a car wash near me and they have had chemicals in them. 

Can anyone suggest the best way of cleaning them out please?

many thanks. 

Dom. 

I get mine from car wash also

Fill 2 3rds full with tap water

Put lid on and shake well

Empty and then refill and empty

Usually that is enough

What i then do is pump a couple litres of pure from my ibc and shake that around with the lid on and empty again

Fine after that

If one is still full of bubbles after filling and emptying from the tap do it again

That’s great, thanks Dave 

i was thinking also of maybe steam cleaning them. I have a hand held steamer and was just going to tip each barrel upside down and steam them out too

thanks again for your response Dave. 

Dom. 

Be careful, had a couple from car wash been used for hydrochloric acid, didn't read label, flushed out 5 with a bit of hypo, no problems, went to do these, violent reaction and cloud of Chlorine gas!! House stank for about 2 days, and I did it out back, could have killed myself.

Be careful, had a couple from car wash been used for hydrochloric acid, didn't read label, flushed out 5 with a bit of hypo, no problems, went to do these, violent reaction and cloud of Chlorine gas!! House stank for about 2 days, and I did it out back, could have killed myself.
Why did a car wash have barrels of HCl? Wonder what they use it for.

Last edited by a moderator:
"i was thinking also of maybe steam cleaning them. I have a hand held steamer and was just going to tip each barrel upside down and steam them out too"

If you steam them they will likely melt. I put hot water in mine in winter and they can only take about 45-50° before they buckle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for your help in this. 

Thanks marko067 too. I was literally just about to go out and do this now. 

Ill just try rinsing first first and then fill them with pure water and then check the TDS reading. 

Thanks. 

Yeah. As long as they haven't had anything greasy in them the rinsing with water till there are no suds should be fine.

Another tip when using barrels; I found when I used to leave mine in the garden exposed to daylight, any water, even a little will cause algae to grow. So when you've finnished for the day make sure they are completely empty, or stored in a dark place.

Back