Jump to content
chris70

yellowing of upvc sills

Recommended Posts

chris70

Can anyone tell me what causes yellowing of upvc frames please would it be anything to do with the hot weather 

Share this post


Link to post
THL4KEL

Low grade recycled plastics.

Share this post


Link to post
Pjj
5 hours ago, chris70 said:

Can anyone tell me what causes yellowing of upvc frames please would it be anything to do with the hot weather 

 

 

Generaly old plastic, or poor  quality plastic , or it’s been cleaned with a strong chemical that has stained or damaged the surface 

Share this post


Link to post


chris70

Cheers guys is there anything out there to remove the yellowing back to white

Share this post


Link to post
Pjj
9 minutes ago, chris70 said:

Cheers guys is there anything out there to remove the yellowing back to white

 

 

There are a variety of products that claim to restore plastics but we generaly dont do that so dont have personal experience of these products but UPVC solvent or a cream cleaner like ciff may help , we generaly suggest that the customer gets it replaced as usualy it will go like it again so they are better off spending money replacing rather than trying to restore it , I carry a tub of this stuff on the van it’s ok but I wouldn’t rave about it 

473CC104-4DA1-4B07-9AD0-91AC2876A08B.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
chris70
3 minutes ago, Pjj said:

 

 

There are a variety of products that claim to restore plastics but we generaly dont do that so dont have personal experience of these products but UPVC solvent or a cream cleaner like ciff may help , we generaly suggest that the customer gets it replaced as usualy it will go like it again so they are better off spending money replacing rather than trying to restore it , I carry a tub of this stuff on the van it’s ok but I wouldn’t rave about it 

473CC104-4DA1-4B07-9AD0-91AC2876A08B.jpeg

Thanks for ya help mate maybe invest in this and see if it works 

Share this post


Link to post
Incheck

What he said ^ also unger rub out is very very good, if that doesn’t get any marks off, then they aren’t coming off. I quoted an FSG on a large bungalow last week, if the plastic was salvageable the job would’ve been a good earner, but the plastic was heavily degraded and had tiger stripes all over it and had turned a deep battleship grey colour pretty much everywhere. I did a few test patches with unger rub out & degreaser/magic sponge also. No luck whatsoever. I told the custy they should replace the lot as it wasn’t salvageable.

My mrs sills are orange/yellow ish, nothing & i mean nothing i’ve tried will ever bring it to whiten. I reckon its naff plastic.
If in doubt always do a test patch, as if you take on the job and it dont look how you want it to at the end and you’re charging for it then you’re in a bit of a predicament


Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.