Welcome guest/lurker! Read more... ×
dmw

Nationwide Window Cleaning. How???

Looking a the general consensus on here about NWC and how they've got the blue chip sector sewn up in little over 11 years. Haven't crossed paths with this company, but I've been looking at their website, and it's very professional (the bosses are even sleeping under the stars in November to help homeless people).

Anyway, they've got a large business with many employees doing these jobs for a small return that most of us wouldn't entertain, I struggle to grasp how it's profitable, or do they just fly through the work without caring for quality and get away with it?

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

You can get away with poor quality if the person in charge is primarily looking after numbers. Not a business model that is sustainable when the outlook changes to quality. 

Here's an example.   I used to work for a commercial firm that had the contracts for Greg's the Bakers, Premier Inn Hotels, Nationwide Building Society, Toby Carvery etc etc.......  

All contracts are negotiated through some bod at head office. This person never leaves head office is simply there to negotiate the lowest possible price for highest possible return for shareholders.   

At local level branch managers don't care as they have an order to follow from HQ which is pretty much 'do as we tell you to do' 

So the nationwide firms send somevpoorly trained min wage bods out to clean..... branch manager signs to say they been and HQ pays out the least amount of money possible. 

Vince and I used to drive 2.5 hours to Skegness. 30 mins for an ice cream. 5 mins to do 2 front doors on nNationwide building society and 2.5 hours drive back.  

6 man hours at £8 per hour. £48 for a job that our firm got paid £9 for.  

Worth it? Not to you and I but when you have EVERY nationwide high street business on your book sooner or later it becomes worth while.  

We used to do every Greg's in Leicester town centre. 5 branches in and out 40 mins.   That's where the money starts to add up. 

For self employed small lads like us I still believe the profit lies in residential and not commercial so I stay away from commercial. 

I decided early on I would stick to residential in the main. The only commercial I do is stuff owned by excisting residential customers for a example one owns a social club/ sports centre one on committee of church halls. I'm happy to do them if it suits me. But I'm not getting up silly early to go into the pedestrianised  high street for a 5 quid window no point for me as there are nationial companies doing most so couldn't even build up a good run of 5 quid windows. Also heard of others doing commercial and waiting 30 days plus to be paid so doesn't appeal. I had a hair dresser recently call me happy to pay a good price for in and out and flat above once a fortnight but told me I could only come between 8.30 when staff arrive and 9 before customers!no thanks. I would rather bang out houses all day and any free time to squeeze the add ons in

Never came across NWC but damn even my local windies are doing our local high street for rock bottom prices ..... I was recently asked to take over a barbers shop 3 large windows in and out every Monday morning before 9am it is minutes from my house and I clean the owners house windows but when he told me he gets them done now at £4 !!! I couldn't believe it

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Just checked their website, they are paying £8.94 an hour. They hang on the benefit that they include a company van etc and fair play to them. The thing is they're offering a different service to what we do. If this was the furniture industry they would be the IKEA. Some of us would be comparable to small independent furniture makers, others to Oak Furniture land or something... Basically we are offering quality.

I look at it like this, if someone starts window cleaning with them and gets £8.94 an hour, after 6 weeks he/she is fully trained and out doing the job. As soon as he/she realises that the customer that just took half an hour pays £20 the cogs will start turning. They will go home and do a bit of research and realise that they could do this on their own. Unlike any other job I have done you can start up with relatively little capital.... almost every other industry keeps you grounded by the amount of money required to start on your own. Employees are focused on the goal of gaining a promotion to work for slightly more of the companies profits than they do now, or they are lazy unfocused people who ain't gonna progress.

There was a chap in Gloucester who had one of their vans on his drive every morning for around 6 months when I worked at my last job. At first I worried they would come in and take over the town, I was only a part time windy then so it concerned me that my investment would have been in vain. I drove past the other day and he has his own van on the drive, some magnetic stickers on the side with a mobile number on. Anyone with any drive working for them will do the same and the ones that don't have the drive won't provide the quality we do because its just a job to them!

What really annoys me, and I mean really, is we have to compete against people that don't have to pay their employees enough money to live on. I bet 90% of their employees are getting benefits. So basically we have to work harder and do better jobs to compete against companies that the UK tax payers are subsidising. Rant over 

What really annoys me, and I mean really, is we have to compete against people that don't have to pay their employees enough money to live on. I bet 90% of their employees are getting benefits. So basically we have to work harder and do better jobs to compete against companies that the UK tax payers are subsidising. Rant over 

Agreed mate. They have pictures of the directors on the website. All in suits looking like they belong on the board at a major high street chain! If I turned up like that my customers would laugh me out of the place.

I never realised they did Tesco. I used to do a Tesco express in central Gloucester. At my last job I went there every day for lunch and badgered them for months to hire me. They told me they had a windy and eventually they made a call to the area manager who told them to go ahead and hire me. After 3 months of being paid in store they said I needed to send invoices on to head office. I sent them with a 30day payment term and they got back to me and told me it was 6 months, after the invoice was due!!!

The problem is all of the unreliable windys out there. We do have a right to be annoyed at how they are taking the large retailers but unfortunately there are too many unreliable window cleaners who let those firms down in the past.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app