Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Startup Equipment (Can someone clear something up)

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Joshyouare

Hi there,

I'm new to both the forum and window cleaning - although I have been trying to do a fair bit of research.

I have business cards, a unger squegee, an applicator, bucket.

What I think I need to startup is a ladder, business insurance and maybe a few other things.

My main problem is this ladder situation. I have absolutely no clue which ladder to buy. I've been looking around forums and youtube a lot recently and am still a bit confused.

My business is traditional, so i'm wondering if theres windows which I can't get to with a ladder then what should I do (do I get one of the extension poles?).

And what's the minimum height and max weight that I should be looking for. On a fairly tight budget too.

Sorry if this is a stupid thread, I have honestly tried to find lots of stuff similar on the internet but can't get my question answered.

Firstly - welcome!!! From my experience ladders are a personal thing and pretty open to difference in opinion. Try and assess what kind of areas you are going to canvass as - if you are doing new estates and 3 story work you will need a triple extension ladder, the benifit if getting a larger ladder is you can break it down into a double when you are doing every day run of the mill stuff. The majority of areas I’m in you can reach 1st floor with a standard 12 rung ladder - which can be a bit of a burden when you need to do an old farmhouse or cottage that a 12 rung ladder is too tall for. Have a look on your local second hand sites (gumtree, eBay etc) as you can quite often find a double 12 rung for less than £50. Lyte ladders are regarded as pretty decent and value for money. When it comes to windows that are out of reach you have two options, miss them or try to trad pole them- the second option is an art worth mastering as once mastered you can nearly get away with being ladderless. Water fed pole is obviously the way forward long term but if money is tight initially get yourself up and running first.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Welcome to the forum

As your on a budget, I'd suggest something like an abru 6.92m triple from b&q, think they £98. I've had mine 3 years, and although I now am mainly wfp I use it most days. When cleaning windows take the top section off and use as a double, then if needed for high windows/gutter clearing put the top section on.

As for awkward windows I'd use a trad pole. It's a challenging skill to master, but well worth it. The main thing with trad poling is you use a decent squeegee with a swivel action. The best 2 brands currently on the market are most wagtails and the moerman exelerator (my choice).

I'd suggest targeting 'easy' jobs to start, then invest in trad pole gear and mastering it before going for more challenging jobs. I would suggest going wfp as soon as budget allows, definitely 100x safer.

Hope this helps, any questions feel free to ask

Welcome to the forum

As your on a budget, I'd suggest something like an abru 6.92m triple from b&q, think they £98. I've had mine 3 years, and although I now am mainly wfp I use it most days. When cleaning windows take the top section off and use as a double, then if needed for high windows/gutter clearing put the top section on.

As for awkward windows I'd use a trad pole. It's a challenging skill to master, but well worth it. The main thing with trad poling is you use a decent squeegee with a swivel action. The best 2 brands currently on the market are most wagtails and the moerman exelerator (my choice).

I'd suggest targeting 'easy' jobs to start, then invest in trad pole gear and mastering it before going for more challenging jobs. I would suggest going wfp as soon as budget allows, definitely 100x safer.

Hope this helps, any questions feel free to ask
Thanks for the welcome and all the great information guys!

Targeting the easy jobs first makes a lot of sense and that's what I think I will do. Can you give me a few examples of easy jobs? And do customers ever just want the front windows done for example?

I appreciate all the ladder recommendations and have had a look at all of them!

My car is quite small so previously I was looking at something like this:  http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4287458

Would this be suitable?

Targeting the easy jobs first makes a lot of sense and that's what I think I will do. Can you give me a few examples of easy jobs? And do customers ever just want the front windows done for example?

My car is quite small so previously I was looking at something like this:  http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4287458

Would this be suitable?
Regarding the ladder in the link it's a 100% NO, you need a roof rack for on your car the transport professional ladders also you need inform your insurance to be covered by for business use otherwise you will be driving uninsured

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Would this be suitable?
What car is it? I use a car, a set of roof racks is a must, anything that folds up/is telescopic is no good for tradding. Access for wfp, where rarely used they'd be fine but they won't handle the abuse of day in day out use. 

As for easy jobs, bungalows or straight forward 2 up 2 down no extensions, Conny's etc

Last edited by a moderator:
What car is it? I use a car, a set of roof racks is a must, anything that folds up/is telescopic is no good for tradding. Access for wfp, where rarely used they'd be fine but they won't handle the abuse of day in day out use. 

As for easy jobs, bungalows or straight forward 2 up 2 down no extensions, Conny's etc
Hi, it's a citroen C1. And right, I see now.

I'm fairly young so changing my car insurance to business use will be annoying but it is what it is!

Hi, it's a citroen C1. And right, I see now.

I'm fairly young so changing my car insurance to business use will be annoying but it is what it is!
Have fun, I used by bro in laws Aygo once, make sure you get a rectangular bucket, or it ain't going in! At worst business should only add about £50-100 a year on, but most will do it for nothing.

Latest Posts

Back