Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Do I need to keep previous data ??

WCF

Help Support WCF:

CM Cleaning Services

Evening all 

Just a random thought I am currently in the process of making the switch from Smartround to Squeegee and wondered do I somehow need to keep all previous data stored from Smartround ??? For legal reasons ( HMRC ) or whatever ?? 

I haven't gone down the route of data transfer from Smartround to Squeegee due to Smartround data being incompatable for a quick upload into squeegee so the manual input is in process ( lucky I'm not full and have hundreds of customers to do plus it gives me time to get a feel for squeegee setting up how I like ) but means I'm am inputting customers with no previous history got me thinking maybe I need keep the previous ????? 

All the best ?

If you have the ability to take a back up then do it. I'm going to be cancelling Quickbooks in April, I discussed this with my accountant. He will take back ups but reassured me by explaining they have a responsibility to keep backups for 7 years incase HMRC require them. Although they wouldn't make them readily available for me they would hand them over should HMRC ever request them.

If you have the ability to take a back up then do it. I'm going to be cancelling Quickbooks in April, I discussed this with my accountant. He will take back ups but reassured me by explaining they have a responsibility to keep backups for 7 years incase HMRC require them. Although they wouldn't make them readily available for me they would hand them over should HMRC ever request them.
What’s your reasons for cancelling quick books? I’ve been looking into signing up as there are some features that will let me do some of my accounting whilst on the go saving me time at home. Would you say it’s a waste of money if you’ve already got a good system in place?

What’s your reasons for cancelling quick books? I’ve been looking into signing up as there are some features that will let me do some of my accounting whilst on the go saving me time at home. Would you say it’s a waste of money if you’ve already got a good system in place?
I used to use QuickBooks for everything. It’s cool that you can scan receipts in but wholly unnecessary. If you want to keep a photograph record of receipts as well as the real one you can scan them into Dropbox as a PDF document. Put them into folders for each type of expense and this would make finding the correct receipts much easier. It’s very rare that the tax man only wants to see one receipt.

i started using the Squeegee app a few months back. Find it much easier to send invoices etc. They have a section for expenses. As yet I haven’t used the expenses part and I’m still getting my money’s worth from QuickBooks.

i booked myself a day off in the diary to get up to date with all my expenses and they were down, couldn’t access the system all day. Then recently they put the price up to £18+VAT from £15+VAT that’s a 20% price increase.

In the end a spreadsheet is just as acceptable to HMRC as the whole QuickBooks effort.  

I used to use QuickBooks for everything. It’s cool that you can scan receipts in but wholly unnecessary. If you want to keep a photograph record of receipts as well as the real one you can scan them into Dropbox as a PDF document. Put them into folders for each type of expense and this would make finding the correct receipts much easier. It’s very rare that the tax man only wants to see one receipt.

i started using the Squeegee app a few months back. Find it much easier to send invoices etc. They have a section for expenses. As yet I haven’t used the expenses part and I’m still getting my money’s worth from QuickBooks.

i booked myself a day off in the diary to get up to date with all my expenses and they were down, couldn’t access the system all day. Then recently they put the price up to £18+VAT from £15+VAT that’s a 20% price increase.

In the end a spreadsheet is just as acceptable to HMRC as the whole QuickBooks effort.  
Thanks for that. ? Don’t think I’ll bother with quick books then. I also use a spreadsheet format to record everything down. 

Quick books self employed is a about £6 a month.

Track mileage, scan receipts and record income and expenses direct from your mobile app.

It's all you need for a sole trader. 

I'm ltd so I use quickbooks self employed in conjunction with a spreadsheet for my profit and loss accounts.

Other than that I use cleaner planner to record all work data, just make sure it reconciles with the spreadsheet.

Quick books self employed is a about £6 a month.

Track mileage, scan receipts and record income and expenses direct from your mobile app.

It's all you need for a sole trader. 

I'm ltd so I use quickbooks self employed in conjunction with a spreadsheet for my profit and loss accounts.

Other than that I use cleaner planner to record all work data, just make sure it reconciles with the spreadsheet.
Just looked at that. They've put the price of that package up to £8+VAT too. Seems like that covers everything I have ever used QuickBooks for. When I signed up I had some access issues and couldn't make head nor tail of that self employed thing so I called them. They recommended my current package but it would appear i've been wasting a tenner a month for the last couple of years ?

Can you send quotes with that package? That is something I will miss from my current package. Not to fussed on mileage etc as I have access to a car too so the entire cost of the van is put through. I use Squeegee to record sales and just transfer the amounts to QuickBooks for my accountant  but it is handy to know all my receipts have been saved.

The one I'm using us £4 a month for 6 months then goes up to 8. It might be plus vat I'm not sure.

I don't think you can send quotes not something I would use.

The app links to your bank account so when money comes in or goes out you can mark it as income or expenses and categorize it from the app. 

It then shows you the profit and your estimated tax .

I think it's a you need for a sole trader.

Download the self employed app on a free trial I think you'll like it.

The mileage tracking is very good but it does miss the odd trip out.

I've always done the mileage rather than actual costs as you usually end up making a profit on it. You can charge the business 45p mile.

100 miles costs about £15 of diesel in my van and reclaim £45 tax free. I do about 200 mile a week so 800 a month. That's fuel cost of £120, £30 insurance and £20 road tax. So £170 running costs and reclaim £360 profit of £210. Ok you need to cover any m.o.t, services and repairs yourself but you have £2500 a year to play with essentially, so will make a tax free saving.

The one I'm using us £4 a month for 6 months then goes up to 8. It might be plus vat I'm not sure.

I don't think you can send quotes not something I would use.

The app links to your bank account so when money comes in or goes out you can mark it as income or expenses and categorize it from the app. 

It then shows you the profit and your estimated tax .

I think it's a you need for a sole trader.

Download the self employed app on a free trial I think you'll like it.

The mileage tracking is very good but it does miss the odd trip out.

I've always done the mileage rather than actual costs as you usually end up making a profit on it. You can charge the business 45p mile.

100 miles costs about £15 of diesel in my van and reclaim £45 tax free. I do about 200 mile a week so 800 a month. That's fuel cost of £120, £30 insurance and £20 road tax. So £170 running costs and reclaim £360 profit of £210. Ok you need to cover any m.o.t, services and repairs yourself but you have £2500 a year to play with essentially, so will make a tax free saving.
Yeah thats the one I tried first. I wonder if they could just change my plan to that instead of having to cancel. It's a much more professional way to send commercial invoices, it's cool that you can set the date it's due etc.

I claim full cost because I got the van on lease. Once I take out the monthly lease costs and any excess milage I am not making much on claiming per mile. I also sold my previous van for a few grand and wouldn't have been able to claim the lease deposit which off set some of that income. If you own the van its normally a cracking idea though!

When I switched from Aworka to CP almost 4 years ago I downloaded files but also printed off client list profit and loss etc as for the previous history from one provider to another all it shows is a balance of debt etc if my memory serves me correctly the entire previous history daily data income and expenses isn't transferred. 

I would think a back up of all your data would be a good idea.

Not sure if Squeegee works offline but what happens when no internet is accessible?

Plus I don’t have permission from my customers to supply their data to a third party...

Might think of writing up a privacy policy

I would think a back up of all your data would be a good idea.

Not sure if Squeegee works offline but what happens when no internet is accessible?

Plus I don’t have permission from my customers to supply their data to a third party...

Might think of writing up a privacy policy
I've got one on the website, relatively hidden but just so I can say it's there. The companies we use like Stripe and GoCardless have their own policies but Squeegee is a strange one as we input the customers details and they potentially have access to it. I'm sure that Squeegee have a policy themselves that covers not passing the data on to third parties etc but yeah with GDPR it is a good idea.

Latest Posts

Back