Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Lacquer or PTFE spray on poles?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Moor

My pole is due it’s regular strip down and clean tomorrow.

I usually give it a spray with PTFE spray which keeps it at bay but not for long, it’s getting even less these days too, Im thinking a light coat of lacquer might give a more long term fix.

Good idea or shall I stick to PTFE spray?

PTFE doesn't do much really, it's much more important to flush the pole regularly.

There is also a technique to build up a new outer layer on worn poles with clear spray paint. I can't recall the video, but someone on here posted it. I do it whenever needed, and have prolonged the life of my poles with a couple of years so far.

https://windowcleaningforums.co.uk/topic/28330-the-best-wfp-pole-spray/    Personally I would give 2-3 coats of light lacquer then PTFE spray 
What he said ?

For a newer pole lacquer would not be needed, but regular cleaning and PTFE will prevent premature wear. However once a pole has worn somewhat then the outer layer can be coated with a good quality lacquer to prolong the life. It is important though, as Iron Giant said, to then still use PTFE spray as well as this reduces friction on the new laquer surface, but also helps continue to prevent wear on the inside of the sections.

Like most things in life, there are different grades of Dry-Film PTFE spray - it is good to source a commercial grade that dries quickly and completely. We have found that the WD-40 branded dry-film PTFE spray is not really suitable as it does not dry fully and does not properly coat the pole.

Last edited by a moderator:
PTFE doesn't do much really, it's much more important to flush the pole regularly.

There is also a technique to build up a new outer layer on worn poles with clear spray paint. I can't recall the video, but someone on here posted it. I do it whenever needed, and have prolonged the life of my poles with a couple of years so far.
Thanks, will have a look for the video.

https://windowcleaningforums.co.uk/topic/28330-the-best-wfp-pole-spray/    Personally I would give 2-3 coats of light lacquer then PTFE spray 
Exactly my thoughts 

What he said ?

For a newer pole lacquer would not be needed, but regular cleaning and PTFE will prevent premature wear. However once a pole has worn somewhat then the outer layer can be coated with a good quality lacquer to prolong the life. It is important though, as Iron Giant said, to then still use PTFE spray as well as this reduces friction on the new laquer surface, but also helps continue to prevent wear on the inside of the sections.

Like most things in life, there are different grades of Dry-Film PTFE spray - it is good to source a commercial grade that dries quickly and completely. We have found that the WD-40 branded dry-film PTFE spray is not really suitable as it does not dry fully and does not properly coat the pole.
I will continue with the PTFE, I have the stuff supplied by you, it’s good stuff.

I stripped the pole down and cleaned it inside and out and removed the stop tape, it was a bit windy to do the lacquer today so will do it tomorrow and re-apply the stop tape.

I managed to break my uni-valve whilst I was at it though ?

Back