Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Which Pole, SLX or Extreme.....18ft or 22ft?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Like you, Spruce, I held off from getting the Extreme pole until the change from the SLX was was forced upon me. Only for that I'd still be using the SLX 22 as my daily pole. In my case the Extreme made a big difference to my ability to keep working. One thing though is; having used the lighter, Extreme for a few weeks now I think it gave me a chance to regain some of the strength and stamina I'd lost. I find I'm now able to work with the SLX 22 again. I now use the Extreme 22 for maintenance washes and the SLX 22 for gfs. We did a big job yesterday, large detached house with a big conservatory and I found I was ok with the SLX 22.

We still use manual reels as like you we want to keep fit, also, upto now, we don't have to bench-charge our dual leisure batteries. I suspect that will change if we go electric.
I really think it would be worth you investing in electric reels it does make a huge difference to the working day , especially if you have health issues well worth the money , I certainly dint regret getting them , I have some fit guys working for  me and they say it makes a big difference. 

I really think it would be worth you investing in electric reels it does make a huge difference to the working day , especially if you have health issues well worth the money , I certainly dint regret getting them , I have some fit guys working for  me and they say it makes a big difference. 
Yeah, Paul. We probably will at some time. We use the metal clover reels. They were stiff to use initially but we sorted that by bolting through the two sides using 6mm threaded bar and nuts. This stopped the sides from spreading and made winding much easier.

This is my take on it in simple terms as I've just been through the same... Here goes

Between an xtreme 22 and slx22

Cheapest = slx

Lightest = xtreme

Life Span in relation to build and comparable usage = slx

Most likely to survive when pushing windows shut = slx

I have got so lazy I now have two extreme 18 on my van one setup for the new jet capsules the other is setup for the older Gardiner jets I’m tubless so it only takes two seconds to change poles. 

Very rarely use my sons slx poles I love my extreme poles and extreme brushes 

On the basis of the original post, the health issues and the reach needed, my choice would be the: Extreme 22, Extreme Sill Brush with the jets of personal preference (100 degree fan jets in my case. I also like the 50s), short Quick loc swivel, Univalve with Skxawng hose clamp and Hoseless.

This is my everyday set up, having up to recently used the SLX 22. I found I can work longer hours with the Extreme as I'm not yet back to full strength and stamina after a big operation in December. I would recommend the SLX to anyone in full health and vigour but the, perhaps modest weight difference has made a difference to me.

The Extreme is expensive and by all accounts is quite delicate, we just have to be mindful and careful.
Your setup sounds similar to myself, running the extreme sill brush with 100deg fan jets and univalve/hoseless. MY concern with the extreme is just how delicate it is, its a shame theres no quantifiable value for fragility!

For those who are reasonably fit probably won't understand what having a dodgy back means in reality in the same way I couldn't understand what its like to be pregnant.

At least we who suffer from back issues have our feet firmly on the ground whilst cleaning windows. We are gainfully self employed in a job which means we have to stay active and do some form of exercise. Having had 8 weeks off hasn't helped my back at all. In fact, its made my back and balance issues worse.

Whilst again it makes total sense to most of us to wait for a while before considering investing in a lighter pole, it maybe the only option @Robt100 has to remain in gainful employment. When I commented about removing the base section of his SLX27 I didn't know about @Robt100's back issues. What I do know is that there is a lot of difference in base pole diameter between the SLX22 and SLX27. It may only be a couple of mm but if you have arthritis in your fingers its very noticeable.

I have pondered an Extreme pole many times as I have pondered an electric hose reel. Will I be able to clean a couple of extra houses a day to eventually pay for my investment? Or is having a heavier SLX22 pole actually forcing me to keep a little fitter? Is manually winding in my hose reel of more benefit to me exercise wise despite the pain?

I used my SLX40 for some really high work this morning. When I dropped down to the level my SLX22 would reach I packed the SLX40 back in the van and used the lighter pole. That was a relief. I can imagine the feeling is similar between the SLX and Extreme poles.

And @Robt100, you are right about brushes. Its so easy to forget that we should use our hands and arms to guide the brush with our pole but to let the brush do the work.
Work wise, this is the 2nd easiest job I've done physically since leaving school 15 years ago. Its easy compared to lugging pallets weighing upwards of 750kg across carpet!

I think my main issue at the moment has been I had injured my shoulder back in late feb moving house, but it hasn't had too much time to recover, that mixed with using the pole more regularly than just casual work has amplified the problem. With current lockdown restrictions getting care for the shoulder has been much harder, but hoping to resolve that soon, but ideally I dont want to stress the injury once its 'fixed'.

What you say about the pole diameter is very true @spruce the CLX18 feels so much more comfortable to hold and from what I can tell puts less tension though my arm/shoulder just purely due to the grip needed. Which makes me wonder if it narrows me down to SLX18 or extreme18, 99% of the stuff I need more than the 18 for is a round im renting, so would only be temporary once we can start canvassing again. But depending on when that is, the pole might wear out before the round is done with?

How many people here have actually broken their Extreme poles? As the more 'vocal' users of an item are usually the ones who have a problem/negatives to say about it. I would think there must be a reasonable amount of people who have had their extreme poles over 18months without issues? Also, are they in use 5 days a week? Aiming to just be doing 3 a week (work to live, not live to work?) which may increase longevity.

Your setup sounds similar to myself, running the extreme sill brush with 100deg fan jets and univalve/hoseless. MY concern with the extreme is just how delicate it is, its a shame theres no quantifiable value for fragility!

Work wise, this is the 2nd easiest job I've done physically since leaving school 15 years ago. Its easy compared to lugging pallets weighing upwards of 750kg across carpet!

I think my main issue at the moment has been I had injured my shoulder back in late feb moving house, but it hasn't had too much time to recover, that mixed with using the pole more regularly than just casual work has amplified the problem. With current lockdown restrictions getting care for the shoulder has been much harder, but hoping to resolve that soon, but ideally I dont want to stress the injury once its 'fixed'.

What you say about the pole diameter is very true @spruce the CLX18 feels so much more comfortable to hold and from what I can tell puts less tension though my arm/shoulder just purely due to the grip needed. Which makes me wonder if it narrows me down to SLX18 or extreme18, 99% of the stuff I need more than the 18 for is a round im renting, so would only be temporary once we can start canvassing again. But depending on when that is, the pole might wear out before the round is done with?

How many people here have actually broken their Extreme poles? As the more 'vocal' users of an item are usually the ones who have a problem/negatives to say about it. I would think there must be a reasonable amount of people who have had their extreme poles over 18months without issues? Also, are they in use 5 days a week? Aiming to just be doing 3 a week (work to live, not live to work?) which may increase longevity.
No one can make our decisions for us. The questions were asked and they were answered very promptly and thoroughly. The SLX is light in comparison to what we were using before it. The Extreme is lighter again but quite delicate. From what I've studied on the forum, a few people have had sections break but if the SLX is too heavy, then there IS only one answer.

After that we all have to make our own decisions.

I've been using WFP's for 9 years and the only pole section I've ever snapped is on a newish Extreme, shutting a window.
I don't push windows closed. I generally clean them even if they're open. On the rare occasion when I close a window, I don't push it, I swing the pole gently towards the window and stop swinging it as soon as it touches. I let the momentum alone push the window, using the bristles as a cushion.The pole is kept straight the whole time, only the weight and momentum do the closing. If this doesn't work the window is either washed while open or it's left on this occasion.

@Robt100 I have never had an extreme pole so I cannot comment. I would like one but a bit expensive. 
so this is just my thoughts. ?. I’ve read through your posts about your back problems etc, and your other jobs. So here goes. If you could possibly have a go with an extreme locally that would be great. But in view of your back, shoulder etc would it be far better to splash the cash on an extreme? If you used a heavier pole might it add to your injuries and cause you to be off work for a few weeks with lost earnings, which would be more I would imagine than the initial cost of an extreme pole. Then eventually if you can manage to work three days, hopefully  you won’t be in as much pain, and you will be glad you chose the lighter pole. Hope all goes well for you. 

I think Mondays job is to find a way to secure poles in the van safely.
Then, I think I've finally made a decision to go for the extreme. I dont push/hit windows shut so thats not a concern, but seems to be the main way they break. Now its just measuring up to see if I can 'get away with' an 18 rather than a 22 for most work. Might take the CLX18 out on jobs on Wednesday just to see if it will reach where I need it to. As you say @Jango it may cost me a couple of hundred more, but if using the heavier pole looses me 20 or 30 a day in slower speeds I've made that back in a month or two, and if im off sick with injury its covered in a few weeks if the extreme would prevent it.

Yeah, Paul. We probably will at some time. We use the metal clover reels. They were stiff to use initially but we sorted that by bolting through the two sides using 6mm threaded bar and nuts. This stopped the sides from spreading and made winding much easier.
There’s nothing like reeling in 100m of hose manually to get you warmed up on a cold winters morning. Especially when there’s a few walls and car tyres to contend with.?? It reminds me of back in day fighting over a scrogger first thing. No one wants em at the end of the day though.?

There’s nothing like reeling in 100m of hose manually to get you warmed up on a cold winters morning. Especially when there’s a few walls and car tyres to contend with.?? It reminds me of back in day fighting over a scrogger first thing. No one wants em at the end of the day though.?
I've never fought anyone over a scrogger . Don't know if I should have? Scuse my lack of knowledge. What is a Scrogger? Is it mancunion for a bacon buttie or something? ?

I think Mondays job is to find a way to secure poles in the van safely.
Then, I think I've finally made a decision to go for the extreme. I dont push/hit windows shut so thats not a concern, but seems to be the main way they break. Now its just measuring up to see if I can 'get away with' an 18 rather than a 22 for most work. Might take the CLX18 out on jobs on Wednesday just to see if it will reach where I need it to. As you say @Jango it may cost me a couple of hundred more, but if using the heavier pole looses me 20 or 30 a day in slower speeds I've made that back in a month or two, and if im off sick with injury its covered in a few weeks if the extreme would prevent it.
You won’t make any more money. You’ll just feel better doing so. I remember when  I got my first window cleaning job and we all used to share the equipment. There was a ladder that nobody wanted, heavy as hell and a bit too big for domestic window cleaning. Every morning we used to do the old rock, paper scissors to see who would get it. Thing is, even though it was a ball ache to work with, you never really did any less work than anyone else and no one really complained. It was more cosmetic. I bet there’s some young lad on Monday morning somewhere out there that’s been lumbered with an old clx that spins to hell with a vikan sill brush just to add to his misery. ??I remember when they was standard equipment. Sometimes I think you need to experience the misery to appreciate what we have now. All this talk of electric reels and hi mod poles. Pft. I remember when drying your scrim and warming your hands on a custys heating outlet was a luxury. Cracking your scrim after a cold water wash out? 

I've never fought anyone over a scrogger . Don't know if I should have? Scuse my lack of knowledge. What is a Scrogger? Is it mancunion for a bacon buttie or something? ?
Haha. A scrogger is a full leaded property which when done trad is a right pita. For everyone that remembers the old mop and scrim.? A nice way of getting the blood flowing when it’s sub zero. I can’t believe they used to clean everything that way. Some say the same about a pad and blade these days. I wonder if wfp wil be the same one day. What method comes next???

As @Pjj said electric reels will save you a lot of physical effort. And @Jangois right the wear and tear on your body for the xtreme is going to be better. I don’t have enough work or the money for either at present but they’re on the list. All I can say is I went from an old fibreglass pole to an SLX and it made a big difference to upstairs windows - rigidity and control. For downstairs windows the CLX 4 is good because of weight, length and control. Both have been better for my own physical health - but the biggest difference to everything though was the swivel gooseneck. I don’t mind swapping between the two poles as an when I need to (don’t need to at every job though) but lots would as it does slow you down.

Haha. A scrogger is a full leaded property which when done trad is a right pita. For everyone that remembers the old mop and scrim.? A nice way of getting the blood flowing when it’s sub zero. I can’t believe they used to clean everything that way. Some say the same about a pad and blade these days. I wonder if wfp wil be the same one day. What method comes next???
64 years of age and I can still learn something new on a Saturday night!

Thanks! Cleanco. ?

ive done it all in 27 years of window cleaning....on ladders for 17 years,scrimming leaded/georgian windows,collecting twice a week,climbing on frosted roofs in the middle of winter just to clean an upper window!,2 ladder falls.....

get the best WFP equipment you can afford...ive been wfp for 10 years now...the easiest set up is a van mount with electric reel,hot water and xtreme poles...oh and NEVER use minibore hose!...it beggars belief that some of you guys are still using this hose,microbore is the way to go for an easier working day......

Latest Posts

Back