Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What's the difference

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I think you need to edit your post ? I was led to believe some years ago that a Shurflo pump is used in showers in caravans and motor homes and also what we use. if you are looking to pick up a cheap pump for a booster pump @spruce or @Dave B may be able to advise as I think dave has a cheaper chen pump. 

Last edited by a moderator:
In a electric shower pump an a pump for water fed polling? 
If you look at the specs of each you will be able to see the differences.

Caravan water distribution hoses are usually 1/2" and short lengths. The pumps can normally operate a lower pressure but need a higher water flow rate.

The original Shurflo water fed pole pumps operated at 65 psi because we used 1/2 hose. When we started using smaller bore hoses Shurflo had to increase the delivery pressure to 100psi. The 5.2 lpm Shurflo pump is the most widely used pump. We also ran a 3.8lpm pump (it's a spare now) for around 12 years on my previous van. 

There were a couple of cleaners who fitted 7lpm pumps which kind of worked. One was a local cleaner who has since reverted back to 5.2lpm pumps. 

This same chappie also tried either a 9 lpm pump or a 12 lpm pump from vyair ( those Chinese junk pumps). He found they didn't work. I seem to remember him telling me that the controllers didn't either as the pumps were drawing too much current and the controller kept dead ending.

I do know that Varistream controllers are designed around the Shurflo 5.2lpm pump. I assume the same is true of Spring controllers.

Then there are pumps that are made with diaphragms of different materials. These would be industry specific such a crop sprayers pumping insecticides etc.

I think you need to edit your post ? I was led to believe some years ago that a Shurflo pump is used in showers in caravans and motor homes and also what we use. if you are looking to pick up a cheap pump for a booster pump @spruce or @Dave B may be able to advise as I think dave has a cheaper chen pump. 
I presumed that the op was referring to our delivery pumps (polling.) 

I do know of a cleaner who used one of those pumps as a booster pump for his r/o. Its 24v not 12v. He had it on one of those manual timers; 15 minutes on and 15 minutes off to allow the pump to cool down.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E-Chen-Reverse-Osmosis-System-Diaphragm-Pump-RO-Booster-Transformer-100-GPD/332580585348?epid=6016277480&hash=item4d6f58ff84:g:epsAAOSwKX9aoWFF

I've tried to get onto Vyair's site on several occasions with no success. It seems that my computer's antivirus is reacting to that site. I've seen them on Ebay though.

Many years ago they were advertising a 5lpm as using 3 amps. I requested clarification as their 7lpm pump was drawing much more power. I was assured that the spec they advertised was correct.

I managed to find a spec sheet elsewhere and found out that this pump actually drew more current than our Shurflo pumps under load. The 3 amps was under no load conditions. Numerous cleaners also found that the Chen pressure switches weren't as 'bullet proof' as they advised they were. (In those days before controllers @francie, pressure switches on Shurflo pumps were the pump's Achilles heel.)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Apologies for my grammar lads, I was just interested in the two different pumps, got a bit technical there so il have to reread your reply an let it sink in thanks

I presumed that the op was referring to our delivery pumps (polling.) 

I do know of a cleaner who used one of those pumps as a booster pump for his r/o. Its 24v not 12v. He had it on one of those manual timers; 15 minutes on and 15 minutes off to allow the pump to cool down.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E-Chen-Reverse-Osmosis-System-Diaphragm-Pump-RO-Booster-Transformer-100-GPD/332580585348?epid=6016277480&hash=item4d6f58ff84:g:epsAAOSwKX9aoWFF

I've tried to get onto Vyair's site on several occasions with no success. It seems that my computer's antivirus is reacting to that site. I've seen them on Ebay though.

Many years ago they were advertising a 5lpm as using 3 amps. I requested clarification as their 7lpm pump was drawing much more power. I was assured that the spec they advertised was correct.

I managed to find a spec sheet elsewhere and found out that this pump actually drew more current than our Shurflo pumps under load. The 3 amps was under no load conditions. Numerous cleaners also found that the Chen pressure switches weren't as 'bullet proof' as they advised they were. (In those days before controllers @francie, pressure switches on Shurflo pumps were the pump's Achilles heel.)
Thought it was worth throwing up about a booster pump for an R/O as I think it was the op who asked about booster pumps previously, so wanted to hopefully have  @francie clarify also @francie be prepared for @spruce replies to totally baffle you ?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
When you think about it Shurflo have a large range of pumps for all sorts of applications. I'm sure they would try to standardize their range as much as possible if they could.

I do need to stop waffling on as much as I do @Iron Giant. ?

When you think about it Shurflo have a large range of pumps for all sorts of applications. I'm sure they would try to standardize their range as much as possible if they could.

I do need to stop waffling on as much as I do @Iron Giant. ?
Everybody is good at something and your good at waffling ? waffle away Sir Waffler 

Wonder if you could help me lads, I use a backyard tap to feed the ro, the pressure in kitchen tap is powerful, but when it feeds threw the wall under the sink to the outside tap the pressure seems to drop, it's a thin copper pipe straight from mains under sink, would the narrow pipe bring the pressure down. 

Wonder if you could help me lads, I use a backyard tap to feed the ro, the pressure in kitchen tap is powerful, but when it feeds threw the wall under the sink to the outside tap the pressure seems to drop, it's a thin copper pipe straight from mains under sink, would the narrow pipe bring the pressure down. 
Probably the connecting pipe is thinner, might need to get it reblumbed. I had to do this with my sons outside tap

The pressure will be the same when the outside tap is switched off. The pressure will drop if the outside tap is opened and the small bore diameter pipe to the tap causes a 'bottleneck'.

If you have a small r/o (450gpd or smaller) then I doubt that a smaller bore pipe to the outside tap will be the problem. The small r/o use very little water so flow through the r/o probably isn't going to be noticed. These r/o's are feed with 1/4" tube. On my old 450gpd r/o I had a built in pressure gauge.

You do need to remember that the cold water in winter increases r/o filtering time considerably.

What you need to identify is your actual water pressure. A water pressure testing gauge and flexible hose will be available from most plumbing outlets as seen in the video clip. Our closest supplier is Screwfix but don't know if they are represented in Ireland or not.

17 minutes ago, spruce said:

The pressure will be the same when the outside tap is switched off. The pressure will drop if the outside tap is opened and the small bore diameter pipe to the tap causes a 'bottleneck'.

Very interesting that @spruce, now I get it mate. 

Thanks for the info

I've been thinking about this in the bath. My tap water pressure is 50psi. The flow from our outside tap is 13lpm.

I have a 4040 r/o plumbed into the bathroom supply pipe work. My r/o consumers about 4 liters of tap water a minute. When the r/o is on the water pressure at the prefilters is still 50psi. But if the toilet in the house is flushed the water pressure at the r/o drops to around 15 psi. I'm not concerned as the pressure will be back up within a minute or so when the toilet cistern is full.

If the wife is home and she decides to put both sprays onto the gardens then I will switch the r/o off until we go to bed. With both front and back hoses on we have hardly any water pressure and this will mean the r/o won't work as the pressure is too low.

A proper sized 1/2" copper pipe plumbed into the pipe work with the correct T piece.

Some diy fittings just pierced a small hole in the pipe which doesn't allow much of a flow of water.
Thank you spruce, was just thinking about them DIY cut in taps, so are they no good, to small an opening? 

It will be for a 4040. I doubt it will be a major issue with a small r/o under 450gpd. 
Thank you spruce, I remember before I got a new kitchen in, that I put a DIY tap in myself with normal hose, I can remember my hose out back seemed to have more pressure then it does now with the small narrow copper pipe, might just try it again, but il be buying a gauge soon to test it. 

Back