Jump to content

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

Booster pump experiment, have a look at the picture


Baldmonkey

Recommended Posts

This is what happens when you have too much time on your hands and you start playing around in the workshop... What is it? Well the thought is that it's going to be a water cooled booster pump encased in foam to make it uber quiet.... Will it work, god only knows. 

 

What do you think so far?? 

20200819_170851.jpg

Link to comment

Must admit I was thinking the very same to keep a pump cooler just to reduce stress on motor. Bit of copper tube round it and let water flow through to cool pump. Looks like a good job there. I don't see why it wont work.

Do you have any way to measure the pump temp when you insulate it?

Please update the thread with your findings.

Link to comment
35 minutes ago, ched999uk said:

Must admit I was thinking the very same to keep a pump cooler just to reduce stress on motor. Bit of copper tube round it and let water flow through to cool pump. Looks like a good job there. I don't see why it wont work.

Do you have any way to measure the pump temp when you insulate it?

Please update the thread with your findings.

Yes its good on paper, the heat exchange will be beneficial to the RO as aswell due to the water being warmer and fluidity... Only way initially is to run it for a period and see what external temp is and then do the same with the cooling. Can eventually get a temp probe. Will do ?

Link to comment
27 minutes ago, Baldmonkey said:

Yes its good on paper, the heat exchange will be beneficial to the RO as aswell due to the water being warmer and fluidity... Only way initially is to run it for a period and see what external temp is and then do the same with the cooling. Can eventually get a temp probe. Will do ?

The water temperature won’t change the amount of heat will be minimal to the volume if water ,but it will help keep the pump cooler .

Link to comment
16 minutes ago, Pjj said:

The water temperature won’t change the amount of heat will be minimal to the volume if water ,but it will help keep the pump cooler .

Yeah the main objective is to cool the pump rather than heat the water, was just saying that a lot of RO manufacturers use warmer water for thier benchmarks. 

So should there be any increase it won't be harmful or detrimental ?

Link to comment

Dont the booster pump need to be open to air fully? cant explain it properly, but I mean like where you have a fan on the harddrive of a pc to keep it cool when running.

Link to comment
20 hours ago, ks789 said:

Dont the booster pump need to be open to air fully? cant explain it properly, but I mean like where you have a fan on the harddrive of a pc to keep it cool when running.

The pump doesn't need airflow if the heat is being dissapated, airflow is only essential for removing heat, the cold water inside the Copper will remove the heat the same as the air flow... But I'll definitely take notice of someone who tells me to do something but doesn't know why ??????... Sorry couldn't resist that last bit... Don't know why just couldn't resist??

Edited by Baldmonkey
Link to comment

They say that the above type booster pumps can be run continually which I don't believe as mine is warm to the touch after 30 minutes so I have a timer switch which you just have to suss out timings depending on speed of production so maybe 30 minutes on 15 minutes off for example. 

Link to comment
15 hours ago, Baldmonkey said:

The pump doesn't need airflow if the heat is being dissapated, airflow is only essential for removing heat, the cold water inside the Copper will remove the heat the same as the air flow... But I'll definitely take notice of someone who tells me to do something but doesn't know why ??????... Sorry couldn't resist that last bit... Don't know why just couldn't resist??

ok no worries, wasn't really telling you to do anything though ?, just what I presumed.' I know nothing, I come from Barcalona!' (in spanish accent) ?

Link to comment
9 hours ago, ks789 said:

ok no worries, wasn't really telling you to do anything though ?, just what I presumed.' I know nothing, I come from Barcalona!' (in spanish accent) ?

Barthelonaaaa ??????

36d7013583e626709486c9aa7823f489.jpg

Link to comment

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Ad Blocker Detected

Please disable your ad blocker

Our forum relies on ads to pay for the servers and our time maintaining and running the forum.

Sadly running a forum like this is not free, and due to our popularity, we need servers that can handle the amount of traffic and resources our forum uses.

 

If you do not wish to see ads on our site, please consider supporting the forum with a membership subscription.

 

Accept