Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Invalid Home Insurance

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Inked

I've seen it mentioned on here a few times that there is a new rule that's come in that says that your home insurance would be invalid if your gutters are not cleaned.

Is there any online resource for this as I can't find anything definitive on it?

Invalid!! not so sure about that, it is the homeowners responsibility to ensure that their property is maintained and yes the insurance may be invalid in some cases such as roof a been in a state of disrepair which is blatantly obvious as this would be a claim of £1,000's and can be beyond 10k plus 

As for gutters it's more likely that the insurance company won't pay out on any claim were damage has been caused and it has been obvious the gutters are jam packed and have caused water damage for example and maybe come down in some cases as well, insurance is for the unforeseen not the unavoidable or something like that, the insurance firm maybe hard ass and maybe cancel the insurance in some cases but I wouldn't use that as a scaremongering tactic to get people to have their gutters emptied 

Invalid!! not so sure about that, it is the homeowners responsibility to ensure that their property is maintained and yes the insurance may be invalid in some cases such as roof a been in a state of disrepair which is blatantly obvious as this would be a claim of £1,000's and can be beyond 10k plus 

As for gutters it's more likely that the insurance company won't pay out on any claim were damage has been caused and it has been obvious the gutters are jam packed and have caused water damage for example and maybe come down in some cases as well, insurance is for the unforeseen not the unavoidable or something like that, the insurance firm maybe hard ass and maybe cancel the insurance in some cases but I wouldn't use that as a scaremongering tactic to get people to have their gutters emptied 
That's what I thought and is why I started looking for proof of the rule online.

I could understand if the insurance didn't want to pay out for damp/mould...etc because of the gutter overflowing but I can't see it being a problem for anything unrelated.

But then insurance companies will try anything not to pay out...lol

The problem for the policy holder is insurance policies are worded in such a generic way the power is all with the insurance companies and the way they decide how to interpret the wording. 

Remember when covid struck and businesses tried to claim on their business interruption insurance? Most if not all claims were rejected as the companies said a pandemic wasn't covered, although that wasn't actually written in the policy! Eventually a sort of class action went to court and the policy holders won! But without lots of them pushing against the insurance companies nothing would have been paid out!!! 

I know of a hotel local to me that burnt down due to one of the faulty tumble driers before they declared they were dangerous! The insurance company refused to pay out as the owners went out and left the tumble drier running! They claimed that an appliance shouldn't be left unattended and so it was negligence!!! As far as I know they never received a payout from the insurance company or the tumble dryer manufacturer!!!

So while you can try and comply with an insurance companies policy if the payout is big enough they will find a way out!!!!

Back