Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1 week to decide

WCF

Help Support WCF:

So it's in getting system fitted? A tensioner and a new belt shouldn't be too expensive.

Glad it's a relatively easy fix.
No need to re book to get system fitted. Will be New year now. Spoke with Adam at the cleaning warehouse earlier this morning. As soon as Van is back on the road ,I'll re book for system

So ,I'll be glad when this year is over!! Van booked in 18th January now. Gives me a lot more time to sort out Bookface and can go out door knocking with view of starting up 25th January.  So a good few days knocking doors/flyer dropping as of the 4th January,  Had a few knock backs trying to start up, like the van, etc. But that's the joy of self employment I suppose! Best get used to it. Lol

So ,I'll be glad when this year is over!! Van booked in 18th January now. Gives me a lot more time to sort out Bookface and can go out door knocking with view of starting up 25th January.  So a good few days knocking doors/flyer dropping as of the 4th January,  Had a few knock backs trying to start up, like the van, etc. But that's the joy of self employment I suppose! Best get used to it. Lol
Can you not fit the system yourself? A few hours and it will be done. Look at the work you could of had to boost the santa fund 

Can you not fit the system yourself? A few hours and it will be done. Look at the work you could of had to boost the santa fund 
Probably could, but I'd prefer it fitted by someone who has done few, plus I get shown how it all works etc. Like i say, gives me time to hopefully get a few customers and a start date to look forward to.  

Probably could, but I'd prefer it fitted by someone who has done few, plus I get shown how it all works etc. Like i say, gives me time to hopefully get a few customers and a start date to look forward to.  
Plus it gives you proof of 'professional' installation. Which might help insurance.

Plus it gives you proof of 'professional' installation. Which might help insurance.
With regards to this, I’ve just been through the insurance buying process for my new van. Both Alexander Swan and A-plan have explicitly said they no longer mind if your tank is permanently installed or strapped in and don’t want any documentation proving either. 

*note- I’m not making an argument for or against strapping in or using a frame just stating that to those two insurers it is irrelevant nowadays.

Last edited by a moderator:
With regards to this, I’ve just been through the insurance buying process for my new van. Both Alexander Swan and A-plan have explicitly said they no longer mind if your tank is permanently installed or strapped in and don’t want any documentation proving either. 
Interesting. I assume you have that in writing?

For my own safety I would want a tank bolted in through the chassis on spreader plates. The tie downs are just not up to holding the weight of a tank in an accident. 

*note- I’m not making an argument for or against strapping in or using a frame just stating that to those two insurers it is irrelevant nowadays.
I have just personally changed over to Alexander Swan, a great team with incredible knowledge of the trade. 

At no point in my communication did they show any price difference with regards to the type of installation. 

I fully explained my installation and they were more than happy to supply me with an incredible policy and unbelievable cost for everything

Highly Recommended A+ service 

I wouldn't trust A Plan they will tell you owt, who ever you go with you want it in black and white on your policy documents otherwise it's just someone on the end of phone saying yes. 

I wouldn't trust A Plan they will tell you owt, who ever you go with you want it in black and white on your policy documents otherwise it's just someone on the end of phone saying yes. 
I checked the policy documents and they'd knocked 5000 miles off the mileage, put a lower mileage figure, off the speedo, in as well. Must admit they came across as dodgy as when I rang I couldn't speak to the original person.

They will ask you if its been professionally fitted. They record your conversations with them. Professional is a word that can take on many connotations.

Has the tank been fitted professionally? Does the fitter need to be professional to fit the tank? What does the fitter need to be professional in? If he is a motor mechanic he can class himself as being professional. Does that mean he is professional at fitting a tank, a job he has never done before? If he has never fitted a tank before is he still doing a professional job?

I fitted my own tank the same as @Pjj fitted his. Can we class ourselves as professional and did we do a professional job?

They will ask you if its been professionally fitted. They record your conversations with them. Professional is a word that can take on many connotations.

Has the tank been fitted professionally? Does the fitter need to be professional to fit the tank? What does the fitter need to be professional in? If he is a motor mechanic he can class himself as being professional. Does that mean he is professional at fitting a tank, a job he has never done before? If he has never fitted a tank before is he still doing a professional job?

I fitted my own tank the same as @Pjj fitted his. Can we class ourselves as professional and did we do a professional job?
I put the tank into  the van and then had an ionics approved installer bolt it in so as to get the insurance approved certificate , alexander  swan did  ask who fitted the tank and they did check with them as well , I think this Ian a very grey area , if a serious accident were to happen then the police along with VOSA will examine the vehicle and tank fittings if it is deemed to be unsafe then you will be prosecuted, having attended a lot of fatal RTC I know how the process works , if you employ and a member of staff is injured or killed you could find yourself up on corporate manslaughter charges , I don’t know of any window cleaners that this has happened to yet but I do know of a number of firms that have found themselves in this situation due to insecure loading of vehicles , according to VOSA the last time I spoke to one of there examiners his words to me were “ a ratchet strapped tank in a van is classed as an insecure load “ he went on to explaine if a delivery driver was delivering that tank to a customer it would be classed as acceptable, but a window cleaner using that van for window cleaning work especially if he had employees it would be unacceptable, but he went on to say they would advise the person to get it bolted in by a competent person/ firm , VOSA would only act after an accident or death to take enforcement action, bit late then by my way of thinking .   

Does that mean I need Grippatank to move my tank over to a new van? @Pjj
No idear check with your insurance company and see what they say , mine are 1000 ltr tanks don’t know if that makes a difference???? , give Oliver a ring and ask him would be interesting to see what he says , if it’s fitted by a “ professional company “ then any problems will be down to them not you , but if you employ you have a duty if care to employees and if you fitted it and it was deemed it wasn’t fitted right you could be found liable , for what it costs to bolt the tank in it’s never worth doing it yourself , it cost me £180 money well spent as far as Ime concerned , they also supplied the bolts and cnc cut stainless spreader plates in that price 

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. I assume you have that in writing? 
I do now yes! Worth checking though as initially even though being told over the phone on further digging it wasn’t covered. It now is. 

note I am planning on getting it framed and bolted in I just wanted to make sure I’m covered for all eventualities.

Latest Posts

Back