Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

300 t0 450 gpd?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

francie

Lads iv a 300gpd ro running nearly six years,my tap water is 80 an it brings it down to 2,tho i wanted to ask if i bought three 150gpd membranes would they fit in the ro?
An can i use a small booster pump with my ro?thanks in advance

Lads iv a 300gpd ro running nearly six years,my tap water is 80 an it brings it down to 2,tho i wanted to ask if i bought three 150gpd membranes would they fit in the ro?
An can i use a small booster pump with my ro?thanks in advance
They should do but I think there may be a tad more to it than just swapping the membranes if there is a flow restrictor that may need changing @doug atkinson is your man

Thanks for the reply irin giant yes there is a restrictor,why are they there for?
The following membranes will fit into each housing; 50, 75, 100 & 150GPD. The tap when fully open is the flush mode. When fully closed, the waste water is forced through the restrictor, which limits the amount of waste water that can pass through it. Inside the restrictor is a little 'jet' with a small hole in it. Different membranes require a different size 'jet', hence the reason why you will need to change your restrictor. A 100GPD membrane requires a different restrictor to a 150GPD membrane.

If you look at RO-Mans website, they list the various restrictors.

About 16 years ago I upgraded my 3 x 75GPD membranes to 3 x 150GPD membranes and restrictor from this company.

You will get an increase in water production, but it will be hardly noticeable to the naked eye. A fellow windie still uses his 300GPD r/o to provide his water needs. But he needs to use a booster pump. My 450 always provided me, a single operator back then with enough water without needing a booster pump.

In my opinion Yes it will be give much better volume of water theses 350 plus units are designed for fish keepers not us as window cleaners using larger volumes of water .
It depends on how much water you need and how fast you need to produce water, for me a smaller R/O works as I need to process overnight, our kitchen is at the front of the house as is the outside tap so the hose has to go across the footpath between the house and the garage which creates a trip hazard also it is very visible to anyone when there aren't any motors on the drive the waterboard could easily spot and follow up.

In all honesty for me personally, I simply can't justify the cost of a 40/40 and the needed booster pump to go with it, I use 400ltrs a day and that's a decent day for me.

I only use about 400 a day also,i currently fill my 100lt tank in trailer an ten barrels then let the 250 tank in yard fill overnight,it is very slow mind you,i might just get an ibc in yard an a wee booster pump for my ro,it works great but a bit slow.

Iv never tested my mains pressure,but it must be low,its around 500l in 12hours,i havent changed the membranes since i got it just the prefilters an it still giving me 2ppm,i think i have it nearly 6 years or so.

It depends on how much water you need and how fast you need to produce water, for me a smaller R/O works as I need to process overnight, our kitchen is at the front of the house as is the outside tap so the hose has to go across the footpath between the house and the garage which creates a trip hazard also it is very visible to anyone when there aren't any motors on the drive the waterboard could easily spot and follow up.

In all honesty for me personally, I simply can't justify the cost of a 40/40 and the needed booster pump to go with it, I use 400ltrs a day and that's a decent day for me.
I hear what you are saying but theses 350-450 Merlin type filters are designed for hobby fish keepers needing 20 gallons of water per week not window cleaners using them every day the way we do , just by the size of the filters shows you that they will need replacing very frequently especially in hard water areas .

I only use about 400 a day also,i currently fill my 100lt tank in trailer an ten barrels then let the 250 tank in yard fill overnight,it is very slow mind you,i might just get an ibc in yard an a wee booster pump for my ro,it works great but a bit slow.
Being able to store water in a 1000 liter IBC tank is a big step forward business wise. Once that ibc tank is full, the pressure is off messing on and worrying about water.
If you want to grow your business then you need a ready supply of pure water.

I managed fine on my own for 4 years processing water into my ibc tank with an upgraded r/o.
Prior to that I messed on filling 4 X 20 litre drums directly and then filling my trailer with 3 X 150 litre tanks using the original 225gpd r/o.

My son gave up work and joined me 1 month before the credit crunch of 2008. With careful planning that non boosted 450gpd r/o just got us by. But that was when I realised that we didn't have enough water to grow the business. When son in law joined us, I went the 4040 route which I should have done long before.
But had I still just been on my own all these years, I think I would still have had the 450gpd as it gave me enough water.

Another big step forward was scrapping the trailer and buying a 51 plate Citroen Relay swb van and fitting a 650 liter tank.

Imho you always need to be analyzing your business to look at making worthwhile improvements to your business structure.

Thank you spruce,i use a trailer as my work in within 1mile radius handy parking mate,im going to get a 1000l ibc an try a wee booster pump thanks

I have a 550ltr tank in my garage which fills overnight although at the moment it's never completely filled by the morning my R/O usually produces around 400ltrs overnight so I just transfer from there each morning.
I hear what you are saying but theses 350-450 Merlin type filters are designed for hobby fish keepers needing 20 gallons of water per week not window cleaners using them every day the way we do , just by the size of the filters shows you that they will need replacing very frequently especially in hard water areas .
I'm in a soft water area so no issues for me I also buy from a reputable supplier not one of these places that sells cheap Chinese ? and claims they are suitable for window cleaners.

There was a lad on Facebook the other day expecting to get 60ltrs an hour with a 450gpd and booster pump pushing the water through at 100psi because that's what he was sold at the point of sale no way is a 450gpd R/O going to do that yet Streamline have one on their website and it states the above production rates

I have a 550ltr tank in my garage which fills overnight although at the moment it's never completely filled by the morning my R/O usually produces around 400ltrs overnight so I just transfer from there each morning.

I'm in a soft water area so no issues for me I also buy from a reputable supplier not one of these places that sells cheap Chinese ? and claims they are suitable for window cleaners.

There was a lad on Facebook the other day expecting to get 60ltrs an hour with a 450gpd and booster pump pushing the water through at 100psi because that's what he was sold at the point of sale no way is a 450gpd R/O going to do that yet Streamline have one on their website and it states the above production rates
Strictly speaking 450gpd is 1700 litres so 60 litres an hour is achievable in optimum conditions

Yes I quite agree it’s false advertising, if one’s want that level of water production then a 4040 it the way to go , we have twin rod and booster pumps in all vans and an produce. 1000 ltr of our in 2 hours we only dump around 20% due to low tds but when working in higher tds areas dump up to 40-50 % and then it takes a bit longer

Back