Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

4040 ro booster pump help

WCF

Help Support WCF:

mikey0451

Thanks in advance,
Does anyone have a baileys 4040 ro system and can recommend a booster pump, I believe it is an ultra low pressure membrane.

If Baileys still sell their own booster pump don't buy it, mine failed very quickly, the company didn't answer phone, didn't return messages, and didn't respond to emails!
Their membranes are cheap, very cheap, typically an AXEON HF4 4040 would be £250 to £300 so Bailey selling one for less than half might give you a clue about how good theirs is.
Anyway back to the point I bought a Water Genie Booster Pump In A Box which works well or the same pump with pressure gauge and bypass control can be bought from Pure Freedom.
There are other pumps available - have a search - I think some people use a Clarke pump.

600psi are membranes used for water makers on yachts to make drinking water by desalination.

All they want to do is sell their product. The Chinese are good at copying other's product description and using it to describe their own, even if it isn't accurate.

Just recently Doug noted that the only true low pressure membrane is the Axeon HF5, but their pricing is no longer making it a viable solution.

600psi are membranes used for water makers on yachts to make drinking water by desalination.

All they want to do is sell their product. The Chinese are good at copying other's product description and using it to describe their own, even if it isn't accurate.

Just recently Doug noted that the only true low pressure membrane is the Axeon HF5, but their pricing is no longer making it a viable solution.
He sells low pressure membranes that are as high as high pressure. Surely if they are meant to be run at the same max pressure they shouldn't be called low and high, especially when being sold for our application

I copied this many years ago from Alex's site.

HF4 Axeon membrane.

• Commercial AXEON HF4 Low-Pressure 4040 40" Membrane
  • Optimum input pressure range 80-105psi (5.3-7 BAR)
  • Average Rejection ratio - 98% (200ppm down to 4ppm with input water at 100psi and 25°C input water temperature)
  • Recommended waste water ratios (product:waste) - 1:1 under 100ppm, 1:2 100-250ppm, 1:3 250-400ppm
  • Suitable for standard water input temperatures +10°C
  • Nominal 2,500gpd rating - Real world will produce from 2000-4500 litres per 24 hour day

HF5 Axeon membrane

· Commercial AXEON HF5 Ultra Low-Pressure 4040 40" Membrane
· Optimum Input Water Pressure range is 50-100PSI (3.4-7 BAR)
· Suitable for low water temperature inputs below 10°C & generally lower pressure than the HF4 RO Membranes
· Average Rejection ratio - 97% (200ppm down to 6ppm with input water at 100psi and 25°C input water temperature)
· Recommended waste water ratios (product:waste) - 1:1.5 under 100ppm, 1:2 100-250ppm, 1:3 250-400ppm
· Nominal 3,000gpd rating - Real world will produce from 2000-5000 litres per 24 hour day

Our water pressure has been 50psi for years until just recently where it has increased to 55psi. When my HF5 membrane was new I was getting a rejection rate of 98% without a booster pump. Now my rejection rate is 97% when I last checked a few months ago. This HF5 membrane is just a few months over 10 years old.

Before I settled on an HF5 membrane, I phoned Purefreedom. They advised that an HF4 and an HF5 would perform the same on my 50psi water pressure. Their advice just didn't make sense to me, so I went with my gut and ordered the more expensive HF5. Would the HF4 membrane performed the same as an HF5 with our water pressure? I don't know.

Baileys use the Spectrum WW-4040 membranes. These only have an output when reaching 100 PSI of 8350 litres. The Axeon HF5 range does 9450 litres at 80 PSI. So there is a huge difference in performance with average tap water at 40 PSI.

I copied this many years ago from Alex's site.

HF4 Axeon membrane.

• Commercial AXEON HF4 Low-Pressure 4040 40" Membrane
  • Optimum input pressure range 80-105psi (5.3-7 BAR)
  • Average Rejection ratio - 98% (200ppm down to 4ppm with input water at 100psi and 25°C input water temperature)
  • Recommended waste water ratios (product:waste) - 1:1 under 100ppm, 1:2 100-250ppm, 1:3 250-400ppm
  • Suitable for standard water input temperatures +10°C
  • Nominal 2,500gpd rating - Real world will produce from 2000-4500 litres per 24 hour day

HF5 Axeon membrane

· Commercial AXEON HF5 Ultra Low-Pressure 4040 40" Membrane
· Optimum Input Water Pressure range is 50-100PSI (3.4-7 BAR)
· Suitable for low water temperature inputs below 10°C & generally lower pressure than the HF4 RO Membranes
· Average Rejection ratio - 97% (200ppm down to 6ppm with input water at 100psi and 25°C input water temperature)
· Recommended waste water ratios (product:waste) - 1:1.5 under 100ppm, 1:2 100-250ppm, 1:3 250-400ppm
· Nominal 3,000gpd rating - Real world will produce from 2000-5000 litres per 24 hour day

Our water pressure has been 50psi for years until just recently where it has increased to 55psi. When my HF5 membrane was new I was getting a rejection rate of 98% without a booster pump. Now my rejection rate is 97% when I last checked a few months ago. This HF5 membrane is just a few months over 10 years old.

Before I settled on an HF5 membrane, I phoned Purefreedom. They advised that an HF4 and an HF5 would perform the same on my 50psi water pressure. Their advice just didn't make sense to me, so I went with my gut and ordered the more expensive HF5. Would the HF4 membrane performed the same as an HF5 with our water pressure? I don't know.
All very thorough as always but it still doesn't explain why they're called low and high.pressure. By the figures quoted even the "high" pressure membrane is ultra low compared to 600psi

All very thorough as always but it still doesn't explain why they're called low and high.pressure. By the figures quoted even the "high" pressure membrane is ultra low compared to 600psi
It's marketing to a target market. I can just imagine how many purchasers have been persuaded to buy an ultra low pressure membrane reading their description.

Honestly, had I not been reading the reports on the forums over the years I could well have been one of those purchasers.

Are the suppliers being honest in their description? To us with standard water pressure, no I believe they aren't. But how many adverts for others products fall into that category?

Back in the late 1980's Ford was completing against several others manufacturers in the hot hatch market in South Africa. The adverts were all about their 0 to 100kms an hour acceleration times. The Opel Kadett was the quickest and Ford, using a rebadged Mazda 323 was the slowest. So they marketed their 0 to 100 "in one deep breath."
Ford sold more cars than Opel did, until news got round that the Ford Laser 1.6i wasn't that quick.

I thought Ford's advert was brilliant. Was Ford's advert honest? No. It gave the wrong impression and sent a false message by suggestion.

@ Spruce - Ford is the biggest joke in SA now, they always break down.

My youth was spent in a Toyota Pick Up standing up in the back bouncing up and down on the dirt roads to the farm. Then you played the game who would move first when the branches were just about to hit your face ?

@ Spruce - Ford is the biggest joke in SA now, they always break down.

My youth was spent in a Toyota Pick Up standing up in the back bouncing up and down on the dirt roads to the farm. Then you played the game who would move first when the branches were just about to hit your face ?
None of us had any clue how dangerous it was standing in the back of a moving pickup (bakkie) driving down the road and screaming around corners at speed either. Those were crazy days. I'm surprised that we are still alive. Now I think twice about climbing onto a flat roof to clean a window. :ROFLMAO:

Back in 1981/2 I worked for Ames in Que Que. I was given an Alfa Sud as a company car. When I requested that front seat belts be fitted for my own safety, the CEO in Bulawayo nearly died laughing.

Last edited:
None of us had any clue how dangerous it was standing in the back of a moving pickup (bakkie) driving down the road and screaming around corners at speed either. Those were crazy days. I'm surprised that we are still alive. Now I think twice about climbing onto a flat roof to clean a window. :ROFLMAO:

Back in 1981/2 I worked for Ames in Que Que. I was given an Alfa Sud as a company car. When I requested that front seat belts be fitted for my own safety, the CEO in Bulawayo nearly died laughing.

Back then my old bokkie used to clean the windows and get people knocking on the door asking how does he get his windows to shine. Good old Windolene is inside and out.

Had some great times in Que Que at my uncles peanut farm. Que Que well known for red smoke ?

Back then my old bokkie used to clean the windows and get people knocking on the door asking how does he get his windows to shine. Good old Windolene is inside and out.

Had some great times in Que Que at my uncles peanut farm. Que Que well known for red smoke ?
If you are referring to the red dust that came from the blast furnace at Risco (later Zisco) then you are right there. The prevailing winds used take the dust away from Redcliffe residential area but deposit some of it over the township to the west. Occasionally the wind would blow in the other direction and our cars were just full of red dust. In fact everything we owned was covered in the stuff.

I used to love going out to Shabani asbestos mine on business as everything was coated with white dust. It looked like snow. Never gave it a thought about the long term affects of asbestosis - tbh didn't even know about it. Asbestos was everywhere: roof sheets and our prefab classrooms at school were made with asbestos panels, A popular building material.

I have been x-rayed for asbestosis, and thankfully I don't have a trace of it.

There was a lot of heavy industry in Que Que. Union Carbide was a big polluter in that estate, and was one of our biggest accounts. They put a 'mining continuation' stamp on every order which meant we could claim extra import currency for the applicable tariff.

When abouts was your uncle's peanut farm Doug?

Back