Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

4040 static system question

WCF

Help Support WCF:

JohnDoeWindows

Hello all,

I have just realised that I'm getting 4 litres of waste to 1.5 litres of pure with the valve fully shut on my PureFreedom system (I never thought to actually measure this before stupidly) - I imagine this is due to the fact I have low water pressure as everything is reasonably new (less than 6 months old, filters were changed after 3)

I'm not too fussed about the rate in which it produces water because it has always seemed fine to me and filters whilst I'm at work with the auto shut off but wasting so much water isn't ideal. I know the option is there to buy a booster pump, however I've been playing around today and had a question:

Is there a reason I couldn't physically reduce the amount of waste water coming out by kinking the hose or something along those lines in order to reduce waste? I tried this and filled a bucket full of pure which seemed fine, but would this cause damage?

Thank you for entertaining my stupid questions, it is all a learning curve!

It sounds like the Pure Freedom waste valve has a hole drilled in it to ensure no one could run the RO with the waste set at zero. It might be worth buying a new valve without a hole (plumbers merchant/ Screwfix) and then adjusting it to provide less waste but NEVER close it fully!

It sounds like the Pure Freedom waste valve has a hole drilled in it to ensure no one could run the RO with the waste set at zero. It might be worth buying a new valve without a hole (plumbers merchant/ Screwfix) and then adjusting it to provide less waste but NEVER close it fully!
Thanks Ched, rang PureFreedom and spoke to them today they think that the hole in the valve could of corroded and got bigger which I think is quite poor after five months of use, you'd also think that they would provide me a new one given the circumstances, wrong!!! £21.80 Inc. vat but hopefully it will solve the isuseb

Quick update @ched999uk they sent out a new tap which I've fitted, there doesn't seem to be a difference in the size of the hole but for some reason the old valve wasn't closing all the way (possibly due to corrosion) - however I'm now getting 3 litres of waste to 1 litre of pure with the new tap so it has improved but not quite solved the issue, it must be due to the size of the hole that PureFreedom drill as you say, so I think I'll get another one from Screwfix

Cheers for the update. I guess Pure Freedom err on the side of caution and ensure that the membranes have enough going to waste no matter what the input TDS is.
A Screwfix/Toolstation gate valve should be fine - you could drill a smaller hole in it to start with so you can't forget and fully close it. Remember you can always make the hole bigger but making it smaller is tricky ?

Thanks Ched, rang PureFreedom and spoke to them today they think that the hole in the valve could of corroded and got bigger which I think is quite poor after five months of use, you'd also think that they would provide me a new one given the circumstances, wrong!!! £21.80 Inc. vat but hopefully it will solve the isuseb
Will be good to hear your results with new valve installed.

Will be good to hear your results with new valve installed.
Don't know if you saw my post above, new valve arrived and was fitted but PureFreedom drill (or at least supply) a hole into the valve which let's waste water through even with the valve fully closed.

With the brand new valve from PureFreedom its now running at 66ish/34ish so I'll try with a brand new valve without the hole and see what we get then.

Don't know if you saw my post above, new valve arrived and was fitted but PureFreedom drill (or at least supply) a hole into the valve which let's waste water through even with the valve fully closed.

With the brand new valve from PureFreedom its now running at 66ish/34ish so I'll try with a brand new valve without the hole and see what we get then.
I have 2 van mount PF boosted R/O's and both have always produced pure to waste figures of 60/40 - 55/45. One of them is nearly 12 years old that actually sat dormant for 5 months. I very much doubt the problem is a drilled hole.

I have 2 van mount PF boosted R/O's and both have always produced pure to waste figures of 60/40 - 55/45. One of them is nearly 12 years old that actually sat dormant for 5 months. I very much doubt the problem is a drilled hole.
I agree. It could be that the paddle isn't screwed onto the shaft correctly, so not seating properly.

Back