Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Automatic ro system?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Mattlekim

Hello,

I know there are some systems you can get that automatically switch of the water when your static tank is full, but they don't seem that reliable, however it got me thinking is there any more complete system?

Something like you flick a switch or press a button and the system auto flushes the goes in to production and then turns off afterwords?

I know it sounds like a small think but I find calculating when I need to get my system filling and when to turn off quite stressful, and sometimes I remember when I'm going to bed and have to wait for the darn flushing to be long enough so I can swap to production.

Thanks

Ionic systems do every hour it flushes through the filters and automatically switches of .Just one press of a button to start it

Been around for years and years.

Look at static V3 or S3 controllers from Spring.

I have two sites which supply ten vans and it’s all automated.

As soon as water is taken from the tanks, it’s flushes the RO and then starts making water. Every hour it flushes for 5 minutes and gives the booster pumps a rest.

Then once it’s full it all stops.

I’m just building in some more automation for the winter. Automatic heating and more importantly a text message is sent when the TDS goes above a set number. I’ve implemented TAPO security and some of their add ons and it’s bloody brilliant. Means I can monitor a lot more when I’m not in the UK.

Hello,

I know there are some systems you can get that automatically switch of the water when your static tank is full, but they don't seem that reliable, however it got me thinking is there any more complete system?

Something like you flick a switch or press a button and the system auto flushes the goes in to production and then turns off afterwords?

I know it sounds like a small think but I find calculating when I need to get my system filling and when to turn off quite stressful, and sometimes I remember when I'm going to bed and have to wait for the darn flushing to be long enough so I can swap to production.

Thanks
It doesn't have to be that stressful or automated, to be honest. I think for a 1-2 man op it's simplistic

when I get home from work I start to flush my R/O whilst doing things I need to do in the van by the time I'm done I check my inline tds meter is reading 0ppm then I either start production straight away or do it later in the evening, sometimes my static tank isn't full on a morning so I check whilst my coffee is brewing then run my booster pump if needed,

At the moment and for the past few months the waterboard has been messing about with the water pressure on and off and they are currently on with something at the treatment plant down the road from me so it's anyone's guess how full my tank will be on a morning.

I turn mine on flushing as soon as I get back and set an alarm on my phone at the same time for 15 minutes. I then pack away run upstairs have a wee and a quick wash and get ready before the alarm goes off, by the time I'm putting my shoes on the alarm is going and I go and close the flush valve and reset the alarm for 4 hours as that's how long it usually takes to fill the barrel.

I must admit it is a bit of a pain as often I'll be watching something on the tv or eating something and the alarm will go off so I'll reset it for say 20 minutes later, that 20 minutes feels like 5 minutes though as the alarm goes off again and usually I'll be still eating something or washing up or something like that.

It's not a problem as such... just slightly irritating hearing the alarm keep going off, just like your morning wake up alarm isn't exactly a nice thing to hear.

I personally would not be able to trust an auto shut off because if for whatever reason it failed then the consequences wouldn't be good. So the alarm method is the only way I can think of. Even putting an overflow pipe would still mean I need an alarm to remind me to turn it off. Although just thought, I could have an autoshut off and overflow pipe :unsure: :unsure::unsure: yeah... wow my brains started working again lol.

Still got the flush problem though.

I tend to 'plug' my van in when I get home and flush, do a bit of tidying and check stuff then switch to fill. I don't flush for more than about 5 mins but my tap tds is only 170 ish, maybe I am doing damage to my membrane?
As for over filling you could put 2 float valves in series so if either 1 is lifted it shuts off the inlet valve. Also get a fill valve that is normally closed so in the even of say a wire breaking it shuts off the water. You could look at 'latching' relays so you then press a button to start fill, then when float valve shuts it off the relay disconnects and can't restart.
All depends on your skills or how deep your pockets are. You could build yourself an auto system with an ESP32 and a relay board but that involves a bit of electronics and coding.
I have a auto fill from Spring plus an overflow out of the top of the tank.

Brodex (dare I mention them) sell a ball valve that fits inside the tank that will switch the flow of tap water off when the tank is full. The out port of the valve goes to the r/o prefilters. The only downside is that this feed needs to go back through the tank to the outside.

I did find them cheaper somewhere else many years ago, but I can't remember where. Sorry

I turn mine on flushing as soon as I get back and set an alarm on my phone at the same time for 15 minutes. I then pack away run upstairs have a wee and a quick wash and get ready before the alarm goes off, by the time I'm putting my shoes on the alarm is going and I go and close the flush valve and reset the alarm for 4 hours as that's how long it usually takes to fill the barrel.

I must admit it is a bit of a pain as often I'll be watching something on the tv or eating something and the alarm will go off so I'll reset it for say 20 minutes later, that 20 minutes feels like 5 minutes though as the alarm goes off again and usually I'll be still eating something or washing up or something like that.

It's not a problem as such... just slightly irritating hearing the alarm keep going off, just like your morning wake up alarm isn't exactly a nice thing to hear.

I personally would not be able to trust an auto shut off because if for whatever reason it failed then the consequences wouldn't be good. So the alarm method is the only way I can think of. Even putting an overflow pipe would still mean I need an alarm to remind me to turn it off. Although just thought, I could have an autoshut off and overflow pipe :unsure: :unsure::unsure: yeah... wow my brains started working again lol.

Still got the flush problem though.
The only thing you missed out on was how long your wee lasted and what you made to eat.

Back