Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Advice on RO static setup please

WCF

Help Support WCF:

WRH

Hi Folks, I need some advice on a static RO setup please...

I currently use DI and need to go RO as cost is just too much. I use around 1800-2000L of water a week. Tap TDS is around 215ppm. Water pressure is not bad but haven't measured it lately. I aim to have all the RO system and filters inside my utility room, this will feed an IBS tank located directly outside in an insulated enclosure.
I want a system that when the storage tank is full, it turns off/stops the RO system and any booster pump if I need one. I also want a system that hopefully wont make much noise. If I need a booster pump my plumber advised a type inline booster pump used for combi boilers which do automatically switch off when not used.
I need to know the names of any components needed. Maybe there are some suppliers that could help? the 2 I contacted didn't seem too interested. Any help appreciated.

Regards
Bill

I'd ring @doug atkinson the owner of daqua.co.uk on Monday he'll talk you through the options and only sell you what you need, in the meantime get yourself to Screwfix and buy a water pressure gauge to test your water pressure.

other lads will chip in I use a 450gpd R/O without booster pump but my tap tds is only 75ppm this suits my needs and I produce 1500-2000ltrs a week

I too would say to ring @doug atkinson . I buy my filters and resin from him. Top man, really helpful. I use a 40 40 RO system. I don’t need a booster. My pressure is 80psi. So ideally measure your pressure as @Iron Giant suggests, then you will know whether you need a booster pump or not. You could do to lag the tank for winter. Mine is in the garage all piped up with John Guest, insulated roof but parts of it this year froze. So you need extra protection outside. Just a thought as I am juggling my tank around to get better protection for this winter. Where you could do it first and be fully prepared.

I'd ring @doug atkinson the owner of daqua.co.uk on Monday he'll talk you through the options and only sell you what you need, in the meantime get yourself to Screwfix and buy a water pressure gauge to test your water pressure.

other lads will chip in I use a 450gpd R/O without booster pump but my tap tds is only 75ppm this suits my needs and I produce 1500-2000ltrs a week
Tuesday :D

Hi Folks, I need some advice on a static RO setup please...

I currently use DI and need to go RO as cost is just too much. I use around 1800-2000L of water a week. Tap TDS is around 215ppm. Water pressure is not bad but haven't measured it lately. I aim to have all the RO system and filters inside my utility room, this will feed an IBS tank located directly outside in an insulated enclosure.
I want a system that when the storage tank is full, it turns off/stops the RO system and any booster pump if I need one. I also want a system that hopefully wont make much noise. If I need a booster pump my plumber advised a type inline booster pump used for combi boilers which do automatically switch off when not used.
I need to know the names of any components needed. Maybe there are some suppliers that could help? the 2 I contacted didn't seem too interested. Any help appreciated.

Regards
Bill
I don't think your plumber understands the needs of an RO. An inline combi boiler type pump wont help. A booster for an RO needs to be above 50psi - that's with a 'low pressure membrane' beware as some companies sell 'low pressure membranes' that require over 100psi!!!
A small 450GPD RO, filters and a suitable booster might be what you need as it should do about 800lts per 24 hrs. I used to run mine on a smart plug as it was supposed to cool down for 15 mins every 2 hrs. The booster pump wasn't that noisy as it was on rubber mounts and in a cupboard and you could just hear it.
As for auto shut off you need a float switch in your tank that ideally shuts off the booster pump and the water supply. You will also need to manually flush your membrane before producing pure each day.

Thanks for your help guys, I'll give him a call. The tap pressure is only 35 psi so will need a booster

If you can get away with a 450gpd R/O that will save you quite a bit bit of money on setting up an R/O my tap pressure is around 30-40psi it does fluctuate and typically takes 10 hours to produce just over 400ltrs overnight yet yesterday I ran it through the daytime and it almost managed that in 6-7 hrs no idea how this is without a booster pump

A second-hand ibc is cheap but do you need a 1000ltr storage tank? I bought one of these 500 Litre Slimline Potable Drinking Water Tank - WRAS Approved which better suits the space I need to have it in my garage and the 45cm lid means I can drop my Titan sub pump straight in, I don't have a float switch I just drilled a small hole near the top of the tank forced a female rectus fitting into the tight-fitting hole sealed with silicone and plug in a male rectus fitting attached to some old pole hose and that goes outside does the job but I have only needed it once.

This is the transfer hose you need as well https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FKWU602/?tag=wcf01-21 this is unlike any other it's more like washing machine waste hose you can bend it in half drive over it and it springs back to life the other offerings have metal inside the coils and it splits, I have had mine for around 9 years

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I buy my filters and resin from him. Top man, really helpful.
The only place to buy from, too many uneducated people think that buying cheap pre-filters is fine yet they have no idea of the service life usually on FB people say to change them every 2-3 months and are completely clueless, I know exactly what I am getting buying from Daqua.co.uk and quick phone call if needed I know I'll get the correct advice.

Thanks for your advice, I will look into those options. I will probably have a greater water requirement soon so I want to try and have extra capacity on the first setup I have. The 500l tanks are a good idea too.

Thanks for your advice, I will look into those options. I will probably have a greater water requirement soon so I want to try and have extra capacity on the first setup I have. The 500l tanks are a good idea too.
Then you might be better off with a 40/40

Back