Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Payload info on drivers door.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

BigFoot

IMG_7312.JPG This is a photo of my drivers door info but I'm at a loss as to what my payload is from this information. Does the 1&2 refer to front and back axels?

It says it on the plate

2690 laden weight

1885 unladen

That means you have 805 payload

IMG_1735.PNG Just signed up to the grippy tank website and screen shot it, it says 800kg so the sticker on the door of 805kg is right with a tolerance of 5kg between both projections, either way it's 800kg or 805kg it's more than I thought it was so bonus!

View attachment 14444 This is a photo of my drivers door info but I'm at a loss as to what my payload is from this information. Does the 1&2 refer to front and back axels?
Yes it does. These are the maximum permissible axle weights permitted in the UK. 1 = front axle; 2 = rear axle.

1885kgs is the Gross Kerb weight and 2690kg is the total train weight so would include trailer. The plate shows a max trailer weight (braked only) of 805kgs.

If your van is a sl19 1.5dci 80 then it will be an 800kg model. Edit; you got that payload from the Grippa website before I replied. /emoticons/wink.png

You can't work out payload from the axle weights. Your user manual should give you more details.

Interestingly your chassis number shows the van was manufactured in 2002. (first 2 in the vin number is the year of manufacture.) It was made in France so quite how it was registered before it was manufactured is interesting.

This is a helpful VOSA info to understanding axle weights from the Energy Trust.

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/sites/default/files/Interpreting+Weight+Plates+for+Light+Commercial+Vehicles+web.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it does. These are the maximum permissible axle weights permitted in the UK. 1 = front axle; 2 = rear axle.
1885kgs is the Gross Kerb weight and 2690kg is the total train weight so would include trailer. The plate shows a max trailer weight (braked only) of 805kgs.

If your van is a sl19 1.5dci 80 then it will be an 800kg model. Edit; you got that payload from the Grippa website before I replied. /emoticons/wink.png

You can't work out payload from the axle weights. Your user manual should give you more details.

Interestingly your chassis number shows the van was manufactured in 2002. (first 2 in the vin number is the year of manufacture.) It was made in France so quite how it was registered before it was manufactured is interesting.

This is a helpful VOSA info to understanding axle weights from the Energy Trust.

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/sites/default/files/Interpreting+Weight+Plates+for+Light+Commercial+Vehicles+web.pdf
Great document Spruce, from reading it I have a clearer idea of how to correctly spread the load. Quite how my 2001 registration is a 2002 model is a mystery!

Maybe the door as been replaced from another van.

Great document Spruce, from reading it I have a clearer idea of how to correctly spread the load. Quite how my 2001 registration is a 2002 model is a mystery!

My 06 kangoo has a payload of 620
I initially thought my van was under 600kg payload but am surprised by what I've found out today, it is a twin sliding door model and wonder if this particular model had a larger payload as 800kg is big payload for a smallish van.

Renault made 3 Kangoo vans around that time.

SL17 1.5dci, 60 with a 620kg payload: an SL17 1.5dci 70 also with a 620kg payload and then the SL19 1.5dci 80 which is an 800kg van.

The first van developed 57bhp at 5250rpm, the second 65bhp at 4000rpm, and the third 80 bhp at 4250 according to an old magazine I had from my motor trade days.

The Kangoo was a competitor to the Berlingo we sold at Citroen. PSA only offered one diesel engine, the 2.0hdi. Although it had more power than the Kangoo competition, the hdi engine was much heavier than the 1.5 the Renault used. A lighter van meant better fuel economy and meant that the 800kg payload model was still in the car derived van category and so normal speed limits applied. The 800kg PSA van was over the max kerb weight from 2003 (facelift) and was subject to reduced speed limits; ie., 50mpg on single carriage roads, 60 on dual carriage roads and 70 on motorways using the 2.0 hdi engine.

PSA trained all the mechanics in the dealerships on the new engine to be launched. It was the 1.4hdi to compete with Renault. However, it was only used in the C3 and C2 and a test run-out on the 2005 Citroen Xsara. PSA then with held fitting the 1.4 into the vans for some unpublicized reason and later (2004/2005) fitted the van with the dreadful 1.6hdi in 70 and 92hp versions.

Renault made 3 Kangoo vans around that time.SL17 1.5dci, 60 with a 620kg payload: an SL17 1.5dci 70 also with a 620kg payload and then the SL19 1.5dci 80 which is an 800kg van.

The first van developed 57bhp at 5250rpm, the second 65bhp at 4000rpm, and the third 80 bhp at 4250 according to an old magazine I had from my motor trade days.

The Kangoo was a competitor to the Berlingo we sold at Citroen. PSA only offered one diesel engine, the 2.0hdi. Although it had more power than the Kangoo competition, the hdi engine was much heavier than the 1.5 the Renault used. A lighter van meant better fuel economy and meant that the 800kg payload model was still in the car derived van category and so normal speed limits applied. The 800kg PSA van was over the max kerb weight from 2003 (facelift) and was subject to reduced speed limits; ie., 50mpg on single carriage roads, 60 on dual carriage roads and 70 on motorways using the 2.0 hdi engine.

PSA trained all the mechanics in the dealerships on the new engine to be launched. It was the 1.4hdi to compete with Renault. However, it was only used in the C3 and C2 and a test run-out on the 2005 Citroen Xsara. PSA then with held fitting the 1.4 into the vans for some unpublicized reason and later (2004/2005) fitted the van with the dreadful 1.6hdi in 70 and 92hp versions.
My van has a 1870cc engine

My van has a 1870cc engine
This was the earlier engine. I didn't have access to the details of the chassis number so guessed that the 1.5 was being fitted at that time. So it must have been slightly later the 1.5 was fitted as standard. The specs on the door jam matched up with the 1.5 as well. The only difference was the towing spec. The 1.5 shows it as a max trailer weight of 795kgs where your plate shows it as an 805kg.

This was the earlier engine. I didn't have access to the details of the chassis number so guessed that the 1.5 was being fitted at that time. So it must have been slightly later the 1.5 was fitted as standard. The specs on the door jam matched up with the 1.5 as well. The only difference was the towing spec. The 1.5 shows it as a max trailer weight of 795kgs where your plate shows it as an 805kg.
I'm guessing the 1.5 is a more fuel efficient engine than the older 1870cc as I understand the 1.5 is a sound unit.

I'm guessing the 1.5 is a more fuel efficient engine than the older 1870cc as I understand the 1.5 is a sound unit.
Time has proven that the 1.5 is a good engine. It was all about emissions and weight. It was also driven by the car side. My daughter's Nissan Micra has the same 1.5dci engine and it goes very well with 4 adults in the car.

But it wasn't easy for any of the manufacturers to take the bold step of reducing engine size. The biggest issue they had to contend with was the public's negative perception of diesels getting smaller. Who had ever heard of a 1400 diesel engine in a road vehicle before?

Citroen tried to bluff us when they took the 2.0hdi 90hp engine out of the Citroen Xsara Picasso and replaced it with the 1.6hdi 110hp engine on the MK2. The general public perceived they were getting a more powerful engine, 110 as apposed to 90hp. However, the older ones among us know that hp and torque are 2 different things. (Petrol engines are measured in bhp at Xrpm but with slower revving diesels it all about torque. And yes I accept that bhp on a diesel can be related back to torque.) The 110 hp was only achieved in 3rd gear with turbo boost, another thing they forgot to tell everyone. So the 2.0hdi was a much better driver than the 1.6 ever was. We were never told what the actual hp of the 1.6 hdi engine was without turbo boost. They wouldn't tell us as it was privileged information. Why?

But as is the case with manufactured goods, the line of acceptance keeps moving. One day the younger ones will look back at 2 liter diesel engines and be amased at how big they were./emoticons/sad.png

My brother in law has a clio the same age as my kangoo as a runaround as the m3 stays in the garage for shows

The 1.5 lump is so efficient that even for an 11 year old diesel car it is £30 a year tax

We get stung for £240 a year as it is a commercial vehicle

Latest Posts

Back