Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

60'000 solar panels to clean! i need help setting up water fed systems?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

F rom my experience you need to be cleaning 800 panels a day best I did was 1200, but it's not finanshaly worth while . We used to do huge sites with 4 vans 8 operatives I've given it up to much hassle . As for equipment a 10 foot pole with the brush of your choice ( on ground mounts ) we used Gardiner's solar panel brushes supream 35 cm I think they were called , most sites will require photos of your 'tds readings sighn paper work each day let you in lock up after you etc just not worth it for what they want to pay . Where you park and how you run out the hose will have a big impact on how many you can do each day also it's useful to have one van acting as a water shuttle so you do t run out , chemicals are not allowed neither is using unpurified water as this can leave calcium deposits , also we had the company randomly came and asked for water samples to test so just be prepared hope it works for you but a lot of people are now stoping doing this type of work I know of 6 reasonably sized company's who won't do it any more so solar steves empire will grow Evan quicker I guess

60,000 panels could be done by a good friend of mine in less then five days with his tractor system , he also as a 100,000 site that he owns himself yes I did say owns so he knows a think or two about cleaning them !

he as three systerms and four tractors where hes invested over 700k in the full set up , theres very few sites that demand hand cleaning and now that its been proven that tractor clean]ng doesn't damage the panels one bit you will see these more and more of theses

most companys charge between 15p-23p a panel and can clean them in all weathers and don't have to worrie about the ground , you need to take what people say about cleaning panels on fourms which a pinch of salt as most belive the bull people say about cleaning them

as for using chems on panels well this is even more bull spread as theres quite a lot out there that can be , we have three sites we can use cleaner on , its down to the makers of the panels and any good site forman will beable to give you a speck sheet with all you need to know about what your cleaning

I certainly haven't found a way to make anything over 1mw work for us. And that's only if it's local.

There's easier money to be made.

Good luck though!

I quite agree the tractor systems are the way to go however some sites unfortunately cannot be done that way . As regards to chemical use the company's that we used to do were adamant that nothing apart from pure water was used , it was in the contract if they had any issues with a damaged panel they said that they can test the panel to see if anything chemical wise has been used on it if it had then you would be held responsible that's a fact and I had it in writing in the contract ,as I said no money in it only hassle that's why I stoped doing big solar farms , pity really as there are dozens of them where I live

I quite agree the tractor systems are the way to go however some sites unfortunately cannot be done that way . As regards to chemical use the company's that we used to do were adamant that nothing apart from pure water was used , it was in the contract if they had any issues with a damaged panel they said that they can test the panel to see if anything chemical wise has been used on it if it had then you would be held responsible that's a fact and I had it in writing in the contract ,as I said no money in it only hassle that's why I stoped doing big solar farms , pity really as there are dozens of them where I live
the company we clean for that manage 74 sites you can use chems on however there are specks you need to follow you cant just wip out the old via-sol and carry on , they have rules on the make up of the chem you can use

your right theres much better work the solar farms and better paying stuff out there ,

Last edited by a moderator:
I never realised you needed ladders to get up and clean them! I thought it was all done from the ground. More mucking about than it's worth by the looks of it

Back