Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

All eggs in one basket?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Its still BY FAR the best job I've had but definetly feeling pressure alot more than 4 months ago when I kept everyone in check and to time .
Aye, I was never rejecting work and trying to do everything but not anymore because it leads to burnout. Its okay if you have a target to buy something but just building money is no use. I have one day off a week now but even then I'm fixing equipment. I have took an apprentice on part time now and pay him a ton a day. If I make 300 and pay him 100 then I'm still up 200 but I finish a lot earlier and have an easier day. Working out well now and will see how it continues, maybe a new van in the future or a big softwash unit if the moss clears on roofs continues.

What are you on about? So it's worked for me in the first year but not for you in yours at the time and that makes it so unbelievable to you . Maybe your first year in business you had a terrible plan.....sounds like it.
Don't take umbridge with @dazmond's comments. His comments and questions can be very blunt at times but meant with the best intentions. He sometimes asks questions that some of us wouldn't. ?

From the moment you start window cleaning you start separating the wheat from the chaff. This is usually on an individual basis. It's not common for someone to be refining his work by area when you are so new into the business. That's all Daz was saying.

We used to enjoy doing the odd job lot out in the sticks. It gives one a break from the normal boring window cleaning round locally: a chance to get out and see the country side, fresh air etc.. It also give the dpf filter a chance to activate. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Aye, I was never rejecting work and trying to do everything but not anymore because it leads to burnout. Its okay if you have a target to buy something but just building money is no use. I have one day off a week now but even then I'm fixing equipment. I have took an apprentice on part time now and pay him a ton a day. If I make 300 and pay him 100 then I'm still up 200 but I finish a lot earlier and have an easier day. Working out well now and will see how it continues, maybe a new van in the future or a big softwash unit if the moss clears on roofs continues.
Yeh from next week I'm going to start to looking into how to refine work better to try and get a full day off.....as for now it's 7am on a Sunday and going to start getting ready for work again ??. Like someone said above, maybe the most pressure is actually havening no work, so maybe I shouldn't really complain ?

Yeh from next week I'm going to start to looking into how to refine work better to try and get a full day off.....as for now it's 7am on a Sunday and going to start getting ready for work again ??. Like someone said above, maybe the most pressure is actually havening no work, so maybe I shouldn't really complain ?
Don’t know if this has previously been mentioned (because it’s 8am on a Sunday and I can’t be bothered looking through previous posts) but what about taking a lad on to work with you? 

Don’t know if this has previously been mentioned (because it’s 8am on a Sunday and I can’t be bothered looking through previous posts) but what about taking a lad on to work with you? 
This is what ive done, it means the close to home days we can take on a few more customers and the further away days are finishing earlier.

Its nice to be out 9-5 in the summer months but them days are horrible in the winter.

Im suprised nobody has mentioned that a 7/8hr day in summer is a 9/10hr day in the winter. 

This is what ive done, it means the close to home days we can take on a few more customers and the further away days are finishing earlier.

Its nice to be out 9-5 in the summer months but them days are horrible in the winter.

Im suprised nobody has mentioned that a 7/8hr day in summer is a 9/10hr day in the winter. 
That’s a nice balance. My current goal is to compact the work, know the lad that works with me is up to speed with it

I'm getting close to 50k turnover per year these days....I'm happy at this level of income and can live like a king here in the north west...ive no desire or need to work weekends or full time hours....I value my leisure/family time too much.....

Always best to employ in the long run. We have never regretted it even tho wev had our share of ropey employees you just get rid and get a fresh one , The train then keeps on rolling whereas you stay on your lonesome you risk a lot not least burnout . just our opinion 
Do you know what. I think it's got to be worth a shot if you are really busy.

I think but could be wrong that the government is giving grants or something similar to business's to take on apprentice's. If I was really busy I would definitely consider that as an option but like pjj said it can also present a lot of issues.

It would be nice to give someone the chance to work and give them a skill. 

Do you know what. I think it's got to be worth a shot if you are really busy.

I think but could be wrong that the government is giving grants or something similar to business's to take on apprentice's. If I was really busy I would definitely consider that as an option but like pjj said it can also present a lot of issues.

It would be nice to give someone the chance to work and give them a skill. 
Employing is an expensive business , training ,wages , sick pay, holiday pay , pensions , NI , public liability/employers insurance , vans ,fuel , VAT etc and so the list goes on you need  to be making some serious money to make it worth while , then there is the stress it brings as well . 

Don't take umbridge with @dazmond's comments. His comments and questions can be very blunt at times but meant with the best intentions. He sometimes asks questions that some of us wouldn't. ?
That's what we/I like about

@dazmond ?

I live in the very upmarket cosmopolitan city of Sunderland, right on the NE Riviera. Stuck inbetween the ? holes of Newcastle and Middlesbrough.
The North East is the coolest place ro livein the world ?  ?  

Latest Posts

Back