Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Any people changed their mind

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I'd decided i wasn't going out with all this going on but now I'm kind of forced into a situation of staying inside as the automatic gearbox on the car is knackered and although it does still go i can't find another set of wheels in a lockdown, I've got to preserve this one in case my son needs medical treatment.

I haven't actually texted anyone saying i've suspended service so technically i've not actually cancelled on anybody. I have a number of health woes so i'd prefer to stay indoors - the car was really the final influence. If i change my mind or find another motor (not likely with the lockdown) any delay in their normal schedule was down to a "elbow injury".

Bottom line, in this game play the game to your advantage. I spent days mulling over sending out suspended service texts but in the end decided not to - sometimes no action is better (they do say the road to hell is paved with good intentions). If you have any that you've not texted, they're still fair game to service.

For those you did text, what did the message say - exactly please, Depending on what you wrote, the situation might still be salvageable..
Dear Customer,

With the coronavirus outbreak and acting in government advice and the safety of everyone I've regrettably had to suspend Window Cleaning for the next 3 weeks until the next review. It's with heavy heart I've had to do this but commonsense has to prevail.

Thanks for your loyal customer and all being well we can back to normal when all this is over.

Take care and stay safe.

Darren.

Reading it back now, it does seem a bit overkill, but when I sent this out on the Tuesday things were very different as the government were saying " key workers only allowed to work" after which they changed their minds and even now we're still clouded in ambiguity, and will we actually ever see this money off the Treasury in June? Who knows?

Anyway, as said I'm going to give it the three weeks review, and if more Window Cleaners go back to work between now and then it'll more socially acceptable with the general public and I might go back obviously using the social distancing protocols.

Then again in 3 weeks it could be full lockdown and the guy's on here would who have worked throughout have built themselves a 3 week income.

There really is no right or wrong way.

you wont have a business to go back to if you have 6 months off mate......customers are fickle and their windows will be filthy.....hopefully you wont have to have all that time off before your back out there cleaning.....
You’ve  chosen to work. Good for you and I wish you every success in that choice. And to others who have. 
But this statement is absolute scaremongering. If it’s true of your round and customers I feel very sorry for you. 
You don’t know anything about other people’s business and customer base. 
I’ve chosen not to but fully expect to retain the vast majority of my customers. I have had tremendous support and have communicated with all customers. 
And frankly if they can’t forgive me missing a few cleans because I’ve chosen not to work during a global pandemic then I’m better off without them

some of you will have no business to go back to if you dont go back within a few weeks...ive got substantial savings (that has taken me 10 years to build up

you wont have a business to go back to if you have 6 months off mate......customers are fickle and their windows will be filthy..
With respect what you have written in last 12 hours compared to with what you have written in the past, regarding your own business and personal circumstances has taken me aback a bit. the two almost don't seem like they are coming from the same person ? what you written has got me scratching my head. 

I’m coming to grips with that if any customers do cancel due to me being late then they aren’t worth the time of day. It’s global pandemic where people across the world are losing their lives and jobs. For someone to then do damage  to me by cancelling for being late during a crisis like this they can get to clean f#ck 
I texted all mine to say I'll be off for 3 weeks and review it then, and everyone has been brilliant.

I'm sure you'll keep all your customers because you care and do a good job.

It's the insecure Window Cleaners who maybe don't care or do a poor job, that will be getting worried.

Then the customer can use this as an excuse (quite rightly) to dump them.

I'll admit, I've been one of the guys saying that I'm not going to work for the 3 weeks (and haven't yet since Boris' statement last Monday) but now im itching to get out especially as I'm convincing myself more and more that we can work providing we follow the guidelines. Also the fact that I've checked my account this morning and saw all the bills come out (mortgage, council tax etc) making me think I need to work as this little money I do have won't last very long. 

My question is... (IF I DO DECIDE TO WORK TOMORROW)

I only have the numbers of about 60% of my customers.  If I was to work I will of course text and let them know I was coming and give them that choice. But what would you guys do with thoes customers that you do not have numbers for? I don't want to just turn up and start cleaning and assume they want theirs done but at the same time I dont want to knock on their doors and ask them or post a letter to ask them as it seems to defeat the purpose. Just not sure how to deal with those customers I don't have contact details for... ?

In my eyes you have 2 options regarding them, firstly knock on the door with your knuckles, not ring bell or use letterbox, and stand well back so you're visible from the front window, as I would think most people would look out of the window. Or sit outside and toot your horn and hope they look out, you can then ask them personally. I have at least one telephone number / email address for all of my customers, this isn't some smart @rsed look at how clever I am it is based purely on experience. I won't take walk ups as a customer unless they ring, text or email agreeing to the price and frequency. The people that don't do this are, in the majority, messers.   

I'll admit, I've been one of the guys saying that I'm not going to work for the 3 weeks (and haven't yet since Boris' statement last Monday) but now im itching to get out especially as I'm convincing myself more and more that we can work providing we follow the guidelines. Also the fact that I've checked my account this morning and saw all the bills come out (mortgage, council tax etc) making me think I need to work as this little money I do have won't last very long. 

My question is... (IF I DO DECIDE TO WORK TOMORROW)

I only have the numbers of about 60% of my customers.  If I was to work I will of course text and let them know I was coming and give them that choice. But what would you guys do with thoes customers that you do not have numbers for? I don't want to just turn up and start cleaning and assume they want theirs done but at the same time I dont want to knock on their doors and ask them or post a letter to ask them as it seems to defeat the purpose. Just not sure how to deal with those customers I don't have contact details for... ?
If you were to go back I wouldn’t do the ones you don’t have contact details for. You don’t know the situation they’re currently in and it only takes 1 of them to take you turning up to work negatively to possibly put you in a really difficult position you don’t want. 

Ones who texted their customers to say the cleaning is temporarily closed to then changed their minds how did you let customers know? I bet it would be quite awkward lol

also any window cleaners still debating what to do? I’m in that boat I decided not to work but now I’m thinking I might go mad staying in, don’t know what to do
All you have to do is say your constantly reviewing the situation.  

I’m in the same boat as @YNWA1988 I texted all of my customers after the announcement to say I’ve closed down for 3 weeks but now things have calmed down a bit I want to get back out there earning some money but also don’t want to ruin my reputation by being plastered all over the FB pages. 

I’m going to put my feet up until the next big announcement is made and then decide what to do 

That’s a good point. Most of my jobs I drive to, more often than not I’ll only have the 1 house on a street. If you are regularly cleaning jobs in view of the customers you don’t have contact details for I’d try and get their attention. I’d get them to email you or text you so you have a way to contact them going forward at the same time. 

If you’re going to a specific street for one house I still wouldn’t just rock up unannounced though. 

Hello <customer>

I am texting all of my customers regarding the Covid 19 virus.

I have been in a bit of a dilemma this past week, wondering if I should be working or not. Whilst current government guidelines state that it is ok to carry on working, providing the social distancing protocol is adhered to, I have come to the decision that I cannot carry on cleaning windows until the situation improves.....I really don't want to be responsible for spreading the virus. For the time being, I must stay at home.

In the meantime, look after yourself and stay safe.

Regards

Richard
This is how I would turn it around following that very strong cancellation message:

Dear Customer,

Please accept my apologies for troubling you once more. As you are aware from my previous message I / we had intended to close down for your safety during this Covid19 crisis.

Unfortunately however, an unexpectedly large number of customers have pointed out that we are still legally able to work and have demanded that their windows be cleaned or they will consider using a different service. This is despite putting your safety first and simply staying away. The complaints have been overwhelming and unexpected.

In the interests of customer relations, I / we would like to put forward a revised plan of service. We will come and clean your windows as usual wearing <insert face mask or other PPE here> and ask that you keep your distance from us. I / we will not handle or accept any cash and will only accept money via electronic means. Properties that would normally be walked through to the rear will only see front windows serviced. If you wish to keep your service suspended, that's fine - just send a reply and we'll come to you once this is all over. Otherwise your windows will be cleaned as and when I / we can get to you in these troubling times.

Best regards,

<name>
That's literally the most delicate "i'm coming back unless you cancel" message that i can come up with given your incredibly clear previous message lol. You can probably edit that down to a few lines.. but you get the drift of what you need to put across.

Dear Customer,

With the coronavirus outbreak and acting in government advice and the safety of everyone I've regrettably had to suspend Window Cleaning for the next 3 weeks until the next review. It's with heavy heart I've had to do this but commonsense has to prevail.

Thanks for your loyal customer and all being well we can back to normal when all this is over.

Take care and stay safe.

Darren.
Dear customer,

In light of my previous message, the government have clarified that window cleaners are still permitted to work. Although it isn't ideal I have had a lot of complaints from customers pointing this out and still insisting that their windows are serviced. The demand and number of complaints has been overwhelming so (don't be offended) with sincere regret, I am having to reinstate service. If anyone wishes to remain suspended, please let me know otherwise I will assume that with the many others, you'd prefer me to return. Properties that i would normally walk through to gain access to the rear will only have their front windows serviced with the price being reduced accordingly.

Yours,

<name>

1000000% not changing my mind!!

Had a phone call tonight from mother inlaw, her uncle 86yrs old lives less than 5mins walk from my house had COPD, got chest pains, was blue lighted to hospital 5.45pm today she gets a phone call hes died in hospital and its confirmed covid-19, he died alone in hospital, his Mrs also 86 is at home grieving alone as she cant have visitors.

LESS THAN 5MINS WALK FROM MY HOUSE!!!! 

I am genuinely scared for the well being of my family!

Last edited by a moderator:
1000000% not changing my mind!!

Had a phone call tonight from mother inlaw, her uncle 86yrs old lives less than 5mins walk from my house had COPD, got chest pains, was blue lighted to hospital 5.45pm today she gets a phone call hes died in hospital and its confirmed covid-19, he died alone in hospital, his Mrs also 86 is at home grieving alone as she cant have visitors.

LESS THAN 5MINS WALK FROM MY HOUSE!!!! 
Sorry to hear this , unfortunately things will probably get worse before they get better , it’s unprecedented  times , this is why it’s important to take all the nessasary precautions that we can to protect ourselves , family’s and customers many of whose are in vulnerable groups , I have been amazed that one of our commercial clients that run very large sheltered accommodation blocks of flats want us to still continue cleaning there windows I have until the end if the month to decide wether we will be doing it or not , I have expressed my concerns to the manager , area manager and regional manager ,  but they want us to go ahead , the youngest persons living in theses blocks is 55 most are oap s , seams an unnecessary rusk to me we are contracted to 8 visits per year for  this company and have been doing work for them for   20 years . 

Dear customer,

In light of my previous message, the government have clarified that window cleaners are still permitted to work. Although it isn't ideal I have had a lot of complaints from customers pointing this out and still insisting that their windows are serviced. The demand and number of complaints has been overwhelming so (don't be offended) with sincere regret, I am having to reinstate service. If anyone wishes to remain suspended, please let me know otherwise I will assume that with the many others, you'd prefer me to return. Properties that i would normally walk through to gain access to the rear will only have their front windows serviced with the price being reduced accordingly.

Yours,

<name>
That's a terrible reply, most of the customers will just say 'don't worry yourself, leave it till you're ready to come back'.  They're not going to want you cleaning their windows if they think you're not happy.

Honestly I don't know what everyone is worrying about, everyone I'm texting seems only too happy for me to be going, in fact I'd say it's giving me a boost.  I make it clear that I'm 'working to government guidelines regarding social distancing' and also say that I'm sanitizing the doors and handles, seems to be really working.  Had one cancel on Saturday, I hadn't sent a text they contacted me, they were self employed and said that they had been badly affected, so it was fully understandable.

Honestly this virus could get a lot worse, just be careful what you say to your customers.  If you tell them there is a risk if you clean, well there is no going back on that, you've said it and it will be imprinted on their brains forever.  The reality is there is a risk in every single thing we do, some are direct some are indirect, if we drive our vans down the street, we don't know if somebody is about to jump out in front of the van.  Even if they don't jump in front of the van, well the pollution is killing people, we're contributing to that pollution.   

If you think that it's risky to be cleaning windows and passing on viruses then you might as well give up, there will always be a risk but the risks must be minimal, just walk into a shop and look at people what they're doing, hands are touching everything, trolleys, baskets, cash machines, door handles, counters, money, self service machines... what do we touch cleaning windows?  And that is the key thing, we 'clean' so we're killing bacteria and germs, it won't be 100% sterile but if you do your job properly then it will have less germs and bacteria than before you arrived, especially if you sanitize the doors and handles.

i just rock up unannounced for the majority of my work.....ive got 21 jobs to clean tomorrow...ive not even texted one customer to tell them im coming...if they want to skip or cancel theyll let me know when im there...im cleaning estate work and this will be my 3rd full day on there(it takes me 4 days to clean em all)......ive not had one job skip this week yet!

That's a terrible reply, most of the customers will just say 'don't worry yourself, leave it till you're ready to come back'.  They're not going to want you cleaning their windows if they think you're not happy.
As some of the lads here are wanting to U-turn on their previously very strongly worded "I'm not coming" messages, how would you reverse their situations then? - You may not like my reply.. but at least i've tried to give them something to work with. I never said it was perfect.

Fair play to you guys that choose not to work . Me personally , I haven’t missed a day , and had no issues . But sitting on the fence and dithering about , and sending texts and emails , I’m cleaning , I’m not cleaning , oh wait I don’t know . The only person it will affect is you . By totally doing your head in . 10% of my customers get a text , for access issues . The rest I turn up and clean . So far . I have had 2 ask to skip , pensioners with health issues . The rest have been fine . If anybody is thinking of going out there and working , go for it . I also have been asking the ones who come into the garden for a chat. What they think of me turning up . The response has been , if you are working that’s ok . But if you would have stayed home that Also  would be ok . But most have added I am glad you are here . So respect to those who are sitting it out and those working. But if you are one of those now wanting to go back , but worried what your customers will think. Do it , you might be surprised. 

Also . I never knock a door and ask permission before I clean . Again I think it’s a bit dithery . There have been a few people in gardens tidying up as I have approached there property . Not a problem . Just be positive . Say morning , most have stayed out tidying and chewing my ear off . Some have gone in, out of the way . Just as I would expect if everything was normal . In this abnormal world . 

Back