Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Anyone working in between Xmas and New year?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Adda85

Hi just wondering if anyone is working in between Christmas and New year, I usually take a week off but I can’t really afford to take time off this year, so was gonna just try and do the 27th 28th and 29th. do customers usually mind if you come then? Was gonna maybe message all jobs due next week with the option to come next week or the first week of January.

Hi just wondering if anyone is working in between Christmas and New year, I usually take a week off but I can’t really afford to take time off this year, so was gonna just try and do the 27th 28th and 29th. do customers usually mind if you come then? Was gonna maybe message all jobs due next week with the option to come next week or the first week of January.
I reckon maybe just ask them if they would like their windows cleaned but I definately wouldn`t just turn up.

@Adda85 I usually don't do much window cleaning between Christmas and New Year, but I have few jobs scheduled and I'm currently on a bit of a catch up as I'm moving house tomorrow and I was also unwell last week, so quite a few to try and squeeze in at some point as it has been so hectic at home. Same as you I don't really want to lose/delay money coming in, and if they're a good customer they won't mind you cleaning the windows then. Obviously if they'd prefer you not to go then that's fair enough. Most of my previous jobs have nearly always had me working that in-between period so I don't really mind working then anyway.

If you are that desperate just cram the days in from now until maybe Saturday at the latest. Working 8 till 4 for 5 days straight should pull you in a couple of grand.

If you are that desperate just cram the days in from now until maybe Saturday at the latest. Working 8 till 4 for 5 days straight should pull you in a couple of grand.
I'm sorry but I think the whole tone of this comment is somewhat unnecessary and unkind. For all you know some people actually are desperate, so why belittle them?
And if you're earning 100 grand a year good luck to you, but that's not a typical income in this industry

Last edited:
It's a good idea to message them, maybe pull some work forward from next week so work all day this Saturday and do so much on Sunday if not all day then that will reduce your time out next week, if really need to work then go for it no on here can judge you, if you need to work do it.

if you need to work send some texts out to let people know you’re coming.
They’ll soon let you know if they would rather you didn’t.
Don’t over think it I know loads of people working in between Xmas and NY in different industries my barber and Physio are two example.Retail and restaurants will be back in Boxing Day.

A high majority of window cleaners are part time especially on the forums.They can’t do a full week the rest of the year you won’t get them to work in between.

I ‘ll be going in.The joys of commercial window cleaning.

As has been said. Just message the customers they will let you know.
When I employed, my boys always wanted to go out in between Xmas and New Year every year. Never had a problem.
Don’t overthink it. It’s not like you’ll be spending all day at someone’s house!
It’s nice to take the time off but if you need to go in just go in mate.
Good time for tips too ?

It's a good idea to message them, maybe pull some work forward from next week so work all day this Saturday and do so much on Sunday if not all day then that will reduce your time out next week, if really need to work then go for it no on here can judge you, if you need to work do it.

Yep. Personally if you want / need to work then I’d message them and tell them it’s business as usual unless you hear otherwise. Most will just let you crack on I’m sure.

Trouble with all the suggestions of pulling work forward, work the weekend etc is that if you’re self-employed and want to earn more then you can actually do both. You might well be working 7 days a week and you’ll have loads of people telling you it’s too much and they’d never do it. They wouldn’t work more than one day a week etc, but everyone’s situation is different. ‘Needs must’ and all that. Pre government support and people’s outlook on what’s a reasonable amount of work to do, our forefathers would have just got in with it. Need more money? Do more work. Simple equation.

Yep. Personally if you want / need to work then I’d message them and tell them it’s business as usual unless you hear otherwise. Most will just let you crack on I’m sure.

Trouble with all the suggestions of pulling work forward, work the weekend etc is that if you’re self-employed and want to earn more then you can actually do both. You might well be working 7 days a week and you’ll have loads of people telling you it’s too much and they’d never do it. They wouldn’t work more than one day a week etc, but everyone’s situation is different. ‘Needs must’ and all that. Pre government support and people’s outlook on what’s a reasonable amount of work to do, our forefathers would have just got in with it. Need more money? Do more work. Simple equation.
I shall consider doing extra work while sat on my sun bed in Tenerife over Christmas ???

Latest Posts

Back