Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Are window cleaners still allowed to work during Coronavirus (Covid-19)?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I’ve decided to stay at home, it felt morally the right thing to do. Plus Most customers probably wouldn’t want us there after bozza’s evasive speech on the subject. Apparently we’ll be getting the 80% average of our monthly earnings over the last 3 years so it’s not all doom & gloom. Stay safe boys (and girls if any on here) ??
I went out yesterday and delivered some letters to today’s customers saying No cash, no coffee, no inside work, no face to face contact, and it was weird. Many were at home and in their gardens etc. I couldn’t avoid them talking to me. One even paid me for last month. After the PM speech last night I took the decision to cancel work and thought that’s it for at least 3 weeks. But in the cold light of day this morning, it appears they are saying you can go to work (if you cannot work from home). I actually think that it is a good idea for us not to go to work, and I do feel uncomfortable going to work at the moment, and I think we may risk our reputations and the wrath of some customers and their sons/daughters particularly if they are old/vulnerable. My concern is that if it isn’t illegal to go to work, will we be entitled to the 80% thing or not?

I went out yesterday and delivered some letters to today’s customers saying No cash, no coffee, no inside work, no face to face contact, and it was weird. Many were at home and in their gardens etc. I couldn’t avoid them talking to me. One even paid me for last month. After the PM speech last night I took the decision to cancel work and thought that’s it for at least 3 weeks. But in the cold light of day this morning, it appears they are saying you can go to work (if you cannot work from home). I actually think that it is a good idea for us not to go to work, and I do feel uncomfortable going to work at the moment, and I think we may risk our reputations and the wrath of some customers and their sons/daughters particularly if they are old/vulnerable. My concern is that if it isn’t illegal to go to work, will we be entitled to the 80% thing or not?
Good point...we need comprehensive clarification. Mind you, we need the financial provisions to be announced, first of all. Also, I can't see them stinging us for doing the right thing...is...not going to work

Yeah I've had text looks genuine. 

Contains a link to gov website. The same as one that was shared in screenshots earlier

One of my neighbours is a self-employed joiner who is sub contracted/self certificate and works on new build housing developments he went out to work this morning and was back in 30 minutes all the major house builders have closed their sites, I took our dog out for a walk and cross a main A road which would usually be very very busy with loads of traffic, 4 motors drove past on the way to the woods and 7 on the way back, there is hardly anyone out and about at all. 

As we will all be sat on our hands let's ramp things up and sign this https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/300336

One of my neighbours is a self-employed joiner who is sub contracted/self certificate and works on new build housing developments he went out to work this morning and was back in 30 minutes all the major house builders have closed their sites, I took our dog out for a walk and cross a main A road which would usually be very very busy with loads of traffic, 4 motors drove past on the way to the woods and 7 on the way back, there is hardly anyone out and about at all. 

As we will all be sat on our hands let's ramp things up and sign this https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/300336
Done ??

Just to put my opinion out there. 
I made the hard decision to shut down this morning. I don’t think it’s illegal to go work but I definitely think it’s immoral. I can do 99.9% contact free so it would seem ok to work but there’s always that tiny chance of contact. If people post about you on FB “working while I’m lockdown” it will ruin my business (I know we’re not in lockdown but that doesn’t mean other people don’t think we are).

Ive followed the threads and want to say thanks to everyone for posting and us all helping each other come to our own decisions. We will get through this people, we are British and we can conquer anything! Human life comes first for me and my conscience has outweighed my wallet on this one. Peace out. 

Yea I’ve been going between GMB BBC & Sky News , still bit confused but staying home is the best thing ??
Morally it's 100% the right thing to do, many of the public will not heed the what is been said and that is still been said on the news currently.

My son is a plumber on new build sites and is still expected to be at work.

Hard to know what to do which is why I'm just getting my flats done as I have no contact with anyone on those jobs and paid bacs by invoice.

Morally it's 100% the right thing to do, many of the public will not heed the what is been said and that is still been said on the news currently.
That’s the issue I have the Gov need to come out & be crystal clear so there’s now body thinking oh well I can go to work 

Back