Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Are window cleaners still allowed to work during Coronavirus (Covid-19)?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hope this comes into affect soon..then all us self employed window cleaners will earn a wage...
They are going to have to come up with a like for like payout IMHO, both how we pay tax on our earnings and paye are both government approved, so how can they they treat the two totally different and consider it fair and right, no doubt a single self employed person can pay tax a single tax bill which is many times over what some paye works might pay years. 

Managed to do a bulk email through Cleaner Planner and notify 100's of customers very easily alongside doing a post on FB

After reading this VERY long thread..

It appears that it is currently legal to go to work as long as you aren't in the hospitality, leisure, retail sector. - That's probably going to change though at some point sooner rather than later. And, even now there are official contradictions to this like with the Mayor of London saying only essential workers to travel.

Morally, I personally have no issues with it as long as you're not taking cash, not pushing things through people's doors, wearing gloves, have no cough or sneezing and are not interacting with them. If you have a slight risk of spreading the virus then definitely stay at home. I think it's currently a personal decision as you know your own situation best.

The current advice is that you are allowed to "Go to work (but work from home if possible)"

I do wonder if they are trying to limit which self employed workers will get 80% by saying only those who all legally can't work can get it. Maybe that is the reason for the ambiguity? So they can say "you're not eligible for financial assistance as you aren't in a sector that is closed" and relying on social pressure and confusion to keep them at home.

Edit: though I'd mention, I'm staying off too. Mainly because of social pressure and the fact that it's probably going to be compulsory anyway soon- if it's isn't already..

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe so but we still need & deserve a definitive answer instead of statements that can be construed in more ways than one!
We've got a definitive answer. What we need and deserve is information about the financial impact on us now that they've told us we shouldn't be leaving our homes

The Bill says the government must pay self employed people 80% of their average monthly earnings over the last three years.  As yet I believe there hasn't been a definitive order to stop working.  Being a cynical old git I'm suspicious that in the future the government could take the stand that as they hadn't actually directed us to stop, they are now only liable to pay from the (future) date that the stop directive was issued.

If you follow me?

I'm still advising my men to continue working until we get some clarity

There  is very little confirmation on who can and can't work and this is where the federation of window cleaners should be advising their members.

I have just watched the ground keepers cut the grass on the school opposite my house and there  are still plenty of people out and about.

I am full commercial and even some sites that said it was ok to work on them last week have now emailed me this morning to confirm after last nights message from Borris that all non essential and unless it is a health and safety matter that work is to stop on their sites.

I have a large block of flats to clean today and although I come in to no direct contact with people and could exercise the 2m rule going there didn't feel right.I would imagine some of the residents would not like having to walk past a contractor as they leave to pick up supplies etc as they left the building so I risk receiving complaints and damaging relationships with clients.

You also risk damaging your business image.My van is sign written and the last thing I want is some do gooder or similar taking photos of me working and slating me and my business all over social media for carrying out work in a lock down.

The news papers are all ready doing this online to some of the builders working on sites in London today asking why they are working?

Personally I will probably shut up shop now and ride it out.

just seen on other site,  Residents posting pic of Window Cleaners out and about.  Slating them on public pages.      Calling them Non essential workers. and not caring about spreading this virus.      Not good for your reputation in some estates .     especially if they cannot go to work.

Im at home  .  registered with local business  group , they will contact me with best incentitive to apply for when they hear more from government.   regarding  getting  payments .

They ain't managing to sort out the paye lot till the end of April as a priority, self employed the chancellor says is a lot more complicated to ensure only people who should get a payout get what they should rather than every self employed person getting a payout, because there will be many self-employed who aren't effected either not much or at all, unlike us and other trades people/service providers who have stopped  and just seen our income go from 100 to zero in an instant. 

We've got a definitive answer. What we need and deserve is information about the financial impact on us now that they've told us we shouldn't be leaving our homes
We haven't got a definitive answer.

There are many conflicting statements.

For instance, the directive that we shouldn't leave our houses. Seems clear. - until you see there is a list of reasons to leave your house. 

I think @Bumblebee72 may be right and pay will start from after a date when they consider we've been 'officially' told to stop work.

It's as clear as mud.

They ain't managing to sort out the paye lot till the end of April as a priority, self employed the chancellor says is a lot more complicated to ensure only people who should get a payout get what they should rather than every self employed person getting a payout, because there will be many self-employed who aren't effected either not much or at all, unlike us and other trades people/service providers who have stopped  and just seen our income go from 100 to zero in an instant. 
Unfortunately there is a lot more scope for abuse with self employed workers. So I can imagine it taking longer.

Unfortunately there is a lot more scope for abuse with self employed workers. So I can imagine it taking longer.
I think on the whole the abuse is wide open, including even those on paye, multi-million pound business letting their employees sit at home with no pay Wetherspoons told their employees to apply for a job at Tescos and Virgin looking for handout despite not paying employees and suing the NHS for millions in the past, 

I think us showing our custys that we are concerned heeding government advice also are looking to safeguard them their families and the wider public by suspending service for 3 weeks shows a great deal more about us windys than those bigger businesses that will see those business owners and directors that won't be so personally effected financially, but will no doubt see a massive pr impact that will hurt them a lot more than they will ever imagine. 

I think on the whole the abuse is wide open, including even those on paye, multi-million pound business letting their employees sit at home with no pay Wetherspoons told their employees to apply for a job at Tescos and Virgin looking for handout despite not paying employees and suing the NHS for millions in the past, 

I think us showing our custys that we are concerned heeding government advice also are looking to safeguard them their families and the wider public by suspending service for 3 weeks shows a great deal more about us windys than those bigger businesses that will see those business owners and directors that won't be so personally effected financially, but will no doubt see a massive pr impact that will hurt them a lot more than they will ever imagine.

but will it be three weeks.....? Why is three weeks the magic number 

Anyone tried to get anything from gov yet ?
Martin Lewis saying wait till about friday as of course it's all complicated for the government.

Ive had a new customer asking me to come as long as I'm well, just said I'm waiting a while till we see what is going on.

Wish it would just snow n force us to stay in. 

Yorkshire evening post last night, said large crowds   coughing & spitting at police officers when asked to move back during serious indecent, then riders on  motorbikes were throwing eggs at them, I love my hater's because I feel sorry for them, please go get some mental health help

There is absolutely no need to turn this into a handbag flinging match. 

If your not comfortable with working in the current climate, then don't work!

All I am saying; which has been confirmed as accurate is to keep a calm head, and read the statement properly.

The facts are you can work if you want to, as long as you follow the prime minister instructions. 

You  trying to call me out as being unethical? Go and do one mate, I haven't had any problems with my customers today, they have all been happy to see me and will do for the next three weeks..why's that ? I hear you ask? Because I understood accurately what the pm was saying, and my customers all want me to carry on, and if I do come across one that's uncomfortable, I will first educate that person  and or make an exception..

And don't go saying if I'm earning" such and such "I shouldn't need to work, or I should take time off... It's primarily why I'm earning as much as I do, because I think with my brain before making stupid decisions, not that it matters anyway I'm a LTD company and my salary is nothing close to the business turnover.

It's none of your business what I decide to do, all I was saying was keep a calm head, and don't panic.

Unfortunately window cleaners do tend to panic, and your a clear example of that.  
Lol you need to get a grip mate ,the advice is crystal clear STAY AT  HOME UNLESS YOU ARE A KEY WORKER YOU AND I ARNT KEY WORKERS , I accept the likelihood of us contacting or passing it on is very unlikely but with peoples attitudes like yours this is why we are in the situation we are in . I you turned up at my door when I had been sent home from work you would find yourself being instantly sacked and you details put all over social media , you need to see the bigger picture my friend there will always be windows to clean but might not be you or I tk di them if this isnt taken seriously , better to be safe than sorry , most of our customers are happy fir us to carry on but when I explain the situation to them they understand and agree it’s unwise to carry on , 

Latest Posts

Back