Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Are window cleaners still allowed to work during Coronavirus (Covid-19)?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

That's for certain, the Chancellor alluded to that when he announced the package.
Yep they will, I thought overall we self employed werent really taxed any different to paye. Ive done paye where pay was low and barely got taxed/nat.ins. Same as self employed, earn more and its roughly a third off for both us and paye I thought. 

Yep they will, I thought overall we self employed werent really taxed any different to paye. Ive done paye where pay was low and barely got taxed/nat.ins. Same as self employed, earn more and its roughly a third off for both us and paye I thought. 
We have a slight advantage on NI, but not lots, and if you consider we don't get sick pay it probably balances out. I suppose the argument would be the employer pays the sick pay, not the Government and the employers also contribute NI for people they employ. One of the easiest ways to generate more revenue would be to continue NI payments for those above £50k a year, currently you only pay 2% if you're earning over that amount.

The quotation below is from an email received from my MP's office

Work carried out in people’s homes

"Work carried out in people’s homes, for example by tradespeople carrying out repairs and maintenance, can continue, provided that the tradesperson is well and has no symptoms. This includes you as a window cleaner."

I am not working at the moment !

Was good to be out working today. Actually did a few more hours then normal as it was a relief to just be outside. All me customers were ace and pleased to see me carrying on. They even helped make the day more straightforward by opening gates, moving bins etc and 2 even said they'd disinfected the money lol. No shite from anyone again, so I've either got a nice friendly round or the abuse metered out to some ain't that widespread. Not one dirty look, but plenty of hellos from strangers. Folk seem to talk more than they did before this all kicked off which is nice. Sent all the texts out for tomorrow's work and only OK's replied, so another full days work ahead it seems. Only had 2 cancellations since the beginning but taken on 5 extra jobs so business seems steady she goes 'at the moment'. Tho I did feel like Will Smith in I am Legend wandering about lol

I'll admit, I've been one of the guys saying that I'm not going to work for the 3 weeks (and haven't yet since Boris' statement last Monday) but now im itching to get out especially as I'm convincing myself more and more that we can work providing we follow the guidelines. Also the fact that I've checked my account this morning and saw all the bills come out (mortgage, council tax etc) making me think I need to work as this little money I do have won't last very long. 

My question is... (IF I DO DECIDE TO WORK TOMORROW)

I only have the numbers of about 60% of my customers.  If I was to work I will of course text and let them know I was coming and give them that choice. But what would you guys do with thoes customers that you do not have numbers for? I don't want to just turn up and start cleaning and assume they want theirs done but at the same time I dont want to knock on their doors and ask them or post a letter to ask them as it seems to defeat the purpose. Just not sure how to deal with those customers I don't have contact details for... ?
I knock the door stand well back and say I've come to clean your windows while I still can , could u pay by bank transfer,  leave correct money on doorstep or pay next time , coustmers seem happy enough with this , last week I worked 2 and a half days and this week 1 day and hope to get out 2 days next week , most window cleaners are still working in my area, but It dosent feel rite so I'm doing as little as possibly why I still can

I have swung back and forth, 1st I was going out to work, then I wasn't, then I was and then I wasn't. 

I have changed my mind..again..?

I had so many customers ask me to clean anyway, i have decided to clean again only those whom I will not see I person, and no inside cleans. 

I am simply taking each day at a time, two customers have decided not to have them done out of 30 so far this week, so I'm confused so flipping much. 

The law says you can work, what is clear is that it depends on each individuals customer preferences.

So I'm a Hippocrate, on both sides. I said stay at home, save lives and i have had customer after customer ask me where I am and can I come anyway? So I did.

I have said go to work it's your legal right, and then stayed at home for fear of myself and my health.

It's clear there is no black and white answer. Just use your best judgement in the circumstances of the moment.

That's all i have to say

I have swung back and forth, 1st I was going out to work, then I wasn't, then I was and then I wasn't. 

I had so many customers ask me to clean anyway, i have decided to clean again only those whom I will not see I person, and no inside cleans. 

I am simply taking each day at a time, two customers have decided not to have them done out of 30 so far this week, so I'm confused so flipping much. 

The law says you can work, what is clear is that it depends on each individuals customer preferences.

So I'm a Hippocrate, on both sides. I said stay at home, save lives and i have had customer after customer ask me where I am and can I come anyway? So I did.

I have said go to work it's your legal right, and then stayed at home for fear of myself and my health.

It's clear there is no black and white answer. Just use your best judgement in the circumstances of the moment.

That's all i have to say
You are not a hypycrate mate. It`s been a confusing time for all of us. Yes use your own judgement guys and stay safe!

The quotation below is from an email received from my MP's office

Work carried out in people’s homes

"Work carried out in people’s homes, for example by tradespeople carrying out repairs and maintenance, can continue, provided that the tradesperson is well and has no symptoms. This includes you as a window cleaner."

I am not working at the moment !
So thats a bit crazy if you ask me. I also do carpet cleaning which means I could do this as well. No way Jose! thats taking it too far in my opinion.

Cleaniac it's YOUR conscience you have to reconcile to, no one else's - all the best - you'll be fine - come on in the water's lovely (now I've got that scene from Jaws in my head - sheriff on the beach shouting get out...)

Last edited by a moderator:
After  BJ's speech last Monday I wasn't going anywhere. Then I actually read what was said and was going.out. I then decided to have the 3 weeks off, which has stretched to end of April. If nothing changes I will be out in May, I think  :delusional:

The fact the majority are undecided takes hypocrisy out of the equation in this very emotive subject.

That's all i have to say
That sums it up mark to be honest there isn’t an easy answer I can see both sides of the argument , my daughter is a paramedic and has said about the cases she has been dealing with , I have been in the Fireservice for over 30 years and have seen a lot of death ,in various forms but this virus is something else ,my take on it is stay home to help the nhs so they dont become inundated with patients , I can afford to take 3-6 months off and will review things next week , take it easy don’t risk your health or others , but I wish you well . 

I am waiting until the 3 weeks is up then if it's the same as now I will go out.

Seems a lot of others working round here still in all trades so I will just be super sensible and carefull.

Already going stir crazy and only been 8 days.

Picked up 2 new customers while I've been off with them understanding I won't be round for the foreseeable and got a new pressure washing job quoted from pictures. 

That's all i have to say
I think I'm going out next week. But I might change my mind again!

We are going out after 2 weeks of deliberation 

Hi, hope all are well? We have taken the decision to continue to carry out our service for our customers with their permission, we were unsure and gave it a few days after some considerations bearing in mind there are other window cleaners out and our safety measures are more stringent than postmen bin men or delivery men. Last week we trialled some precautionary measures whilst cleaning which we have further improved to ensure the safety of our customers  and us. We are following strict Government guidelines and will have no personal contact with customers at all we will not knock doors and will not ring bells and don't want customers coming out to us it's not necessary we will send texts the evening before or call landlines as normal then a reminder to say we are on the way the morning we are coming, Go Cardless Customers just carry on as normal and just open gates if the rear of the property is to be done, for cash paying customers please leave payment in an envelope or wrapped in paper towel not plastic and leave it either under a door mat, in a recycling bin, under a stone or anything if it's left in a wheelie bin we will open and close using a fresh disinfecting wipe but please let us know where it is we will not be leaving change but instead adjusting it up or down next time. We will be using hand sanitizers at all times, wearing gloves, we will be using thick paper towels to open catches and latches with disinfectant which will be disposed of after each wipe, we realise at this time of spring many will be home or doing chores like gardening or cleaning and will be happy to keep the windows clean whilst attempting to stay in Business and continue to provide the reliable service to our customers we have previously delivered how ever that long may be, we appreciate the situation can alter at any time, thank you.

Ricky and Debra

Taken from U Gov

How can I find out if my work is essential or not?

The government is not saying only people doing “essential” work can go to work. Anyone who cannot work from home can still go to work.
Separately, there is a list of critical workers who can still take their children to school or childcare. Provision has been prioritised for these workers.

It really is an area that has no right or wrong answer. In fact the most damaging part of this is not settling on a decision for any length of time.

Keep safe, remember you have the right to put the needs of your business/family first whichever side of the fence you find yourself on, and that might change multiple times, but that's ok. The fact that we are all carefully considering our actions is a major step forward to beating the disease, so those that work keep washing your hands, follow the distance advice, and those who stay at home, your doing good by being cautious and minimising exposure, and we may swap roles some may decide to work after being at home in isolation, some may decide to isolate after extended work outside...we are all considering our options carefully...we are all in the same situation..It will get better..

Be safe.

This is meant to be a one glove fits all policy. It is paid out to all self employed people, who fit the criteria, that might or might not have lost revenue. It doesn't say anywhere only payable to those that couldn't work. See text below, basically they would have to prove that all of your customers wanted to have their windows cleaned to deny you the payment. 

You can apply if you’re a self-employed individual or a member of a partnership and you:

have submitted your Income Tax Self Assessment tax return for the tax year 2018-19

traded in the tax year 2019-20

are trading when you apply, or would be except for COVID-19

intend to continue to trade in the tax year 2020-21

have lost trading/partnership trading profits due to COVID-19

Your self-employed trading profits must also be less than £50,000 and more than half of your income come from self-employment. This is determined by at least one of the following conditions being true:

having trading profits/partnership trading profits in 2018-19 of less than £50,000 and these profits constitute more than half of your total taxable income

having average trading profits in 2016-17, 2017-18, and 2018-19 of less than £50,000 and these profits constitute more than half of your average taxable income in the same period

If you started trading between 2016-19, HMRC will only use those years for which you filed a Self-Assessment tax return.
Hi Part Timer and everyone else,

Thanks for this post but not sure if this applies to me,

Can you give me a heads up if you think this may apply to me ?

I do window cleaning part time and am also a carer for a relative

I have been doing both for 7 years and submit a tax return every year for part time window cleaning earnings.

As I am a carer I have to earn under £120 a week to get carers allowance for the 35 plus hours I care for.

I earn more from window cleaning part time than I do the carers allowance each week.

But because my earnings are low it means I pay no tax each year as after expenses taken off it leaves me with an approx £5000 to £5500 profit from my last 3 years declared on tax return for just the window cleaning side of it.

So in a nutshell I meet all requirements you state but not sure if eligible as do not pay tax.

Many thanks for any ones help with this,

Mike

Hi Part Timer and everyone else,

Thanks for this post but not sure if this applies to me,

Can you give me a heads up if you think this may apply to me ?

I do window cleaning part time and am also a carer for a relative

I have been doing both for 7 years and submit a tax return every year for part time window cleaning earnings.

As I am a carer I have to earn under £120 a week to get carers allowance for the 35 plus hours I care for.

I earn more from window cleaning part time than I do the carers allowance each week.

But because my earnings are low it means I pay no tax each year as after expenses taken off it leaves me with an approx £5000 to £5500 profit from my last 3 years declared on tax return for just the window cleaning side of it.

So in a nutshell I meet all requirements you state but not sure if eligible as do not pay tax.

Many thanks for any ones help with this,

Mike
You already receive money from the government for carer’s allowance, could you claim universal credit? to top up your payment. 
To qualify your main income must be self employment. But your main income is carers allowance, You pay no tax, I can’t imagine you qualifying but I could be wrong. 

Latest Posts

Back