Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Are window cleaners still allowed to work during Coronavirus (Covid-19)?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

You don't get it like many on here. 

Some are NOT in the position to survive until june without working.. if they have to go to work then that is that.

How else does someone in that position feed their family. 

Ideally we all should stay home but some can't. 
So if ones cannot afford to stay at home it’s ok for them to carry on working , taking a greater risk of catching/ passing on this virus to there family’s and customers ?.. that’s basically what you are saying ?. We have a welfare state hear that should be able to help them out short / medium term until they can get back on there feet , this virus doesn’t discriminate between rich and poor just beacause some are poor doesn’t mean they have to risk there safety , Ime in a lucky position and I realise that but I certainly would not be going to work at this time evan if my bank balance was zero it’s not worth the risk , I could end up dying or infecting other family members for what a few pounds life is worth more than any amount of money 

Trying to start the ball rolling with ESA this morning. Wifey works so we're not eligible for UC. Never applied for any form of benefit in my life, so I don't feel great about it. But needs must really.

Anyone else in this situation? Am I correct in thinking we have no choice but to apply by phone to start the process? It's a NIGHTMARE! There's no queue system, so you have to go through all the options just to be told 'sorry we're busy' then they hang up. Argh!

I am sure this will upset a few and this is not aimed at anyone in general or on here.I appreciate that some are new to this or the main income provider for their house or they may have been off ill and generally struggling and I feel for them.

But the  amount of so called big hitters and braggers, the £300-450 a day bunch that are struggling after 4 days and trying to justify going to a work is a joke.

I am full commercial it has hit my business like a train.

The amount of uk window cleaners even near me who are reposting videos of Nicola Sturgeon saying they can work are the exact same ones who would cry and be up in arms if a window cleaning licence was introduced down here like they have in Scotland.

You can not break the chain of a virus if you don't isolate and keep yourself away from it, it's as simple as that.Until a vaccine is found isolating and minimising contact is the only thing to slow it down.China had a complete total lock down and it took them 3-4 months.We are a very long way from ending this here.

The government aren't going to be giving money away for nothing for us to sit at home. Once this is all over the chancellor has already said they want it back so a tax increase will be very likely for the self employed.

Take care.
Totaly agree with you funny how all the high earners are the ones shouting the loudest about cannot afford to take time off !!! 

Ime sure once all this is over you will get back to normal , it’s difficult times for us all 

You don't get it like many on here. 

Some are NOT in the position to survive until june without working.. if they have to go to work then that is that.

How else does someone in that position feed their family. 

Ideally we all should stay home but some can't. 
Claim benefits that’s the advice from the government .

Me to. At least it gives us time to forget how $h!t we are and start the last 11 games fresh with sjm fit. Who knows maybe I'm delusional from fever ? but I'm convinced we can stay up utfv 
Im west ham and was kind of hoping season would be scrapped but its going through. Might go right to the wire, but we've been terrible this season. Just started to improve when season got stopped. Tough call, thought norwich were doomed but their putting up a real fight too.

I last worked Monday,  i decided to take the week of after that as I felt things were moving that fast I'd know what to do after a week.  Turns out it hasn't taken that looking at all. I don't have savings and my family will struggle.  We will still be alive in 3 months though. Anyone going to work for goodness sake be careful.  We are ahead of where Italy was 2 weeks ago.  The amount of people showing symptoms in Italy is less than the amount infected here in the uk. Think about that.  Would you feel safe going out in Italy right now? I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do just make anyone working think of the risks. I hope we all survive this and are back out in time to make a fortune this summer instead of 6 foot under

A mate of mine out working this morning saw something taking a video or pictures of him cleaning windows from a house opposite, said they shouted something unpleasant, he has gone home now, spouse it was going to happen now we can get help like the employed. 

This debate is just going round in circles - the laws as it stands is clear - that didn't just happen - but has been written to reflect the WHOLE picture Virus yes - People's freedoms yes - Economy - yes -  it's currently in the Lords - but will go thru.

So we should all stop trying to claim our position is more virtuous than another's.

Obey the law - end of (and before one and all repost - go and READ what it actually says not someone's brother's sister, neighbours thinks but what the Gov is telling you and me - read it, digest and do whatever is legal for YOU and your circumstances's
Don't forget everyone, i have created a post here that has links to the latest updated laws and is updated as things progress. https://windowcleaningforums.co.uk/topic/31794-coronavirus-covid-19-facts/

Trying to start the ball rolling with ESA this morning. Wifey works so we're not eligible for UC. Never applied for any form of benefit in my life, so I don't feel great about it. But needs must really.

Anyone else in this situation?

It's not just you don't worry, I've never applied for any kind of help from the gov in my working life, but now I'm reading about the different options just in case...

I never thought I would need to but that's just the way it is.  I can't get the new self-employed help package as I've been going for less than a year, so in some ways I'm trying to look at applying for help as our version of that deal of you know what I mean. 

If I remember rightly (I might be wrong) that is what we have been advised, kind of: 'If you don't qualify for this new help package, apply for UC/etc.'

I hope it doesn't come to that, but for my own peace of mind I'm learning about the options as at the end of the day it might be what we need to do.  To be honest, I'm grateful there's options like these available for those on hard times. 

We might not have a lavish lifestyle for a while but I'm appreciating the thought of concentrating on having the basics, house/food ?

The construction industry is a good example albeit on a massive scale. They are getting dogs abuse. They are brass necked and their get out is we are following guidelines on health etc. Ok for now. Just wait till a builder goes home and his family fall ill. The dogs abuse will get worse. The construction industry with its team of legal eagles will try and ride it but wait till a nurse gets ill or dies, it IS going to happen sadly, and it comes out she travelled on the tube with builders. Wow, the government and construction sites are walking a tightrope. From Piers Morgan to anyone with social media, radio phone ins it WILL turn very nasty. The whole countries outlook on non essential workers will change even more. 

Yes that's an extreme national example but people are the same everywhere. We all play the blame game. We blame Ford when our van breaks down even though it hasn't been serviced in years etc.  The odds scream someone on here is going to have a customer fall ill or worse with the virus. 

And once again Nicola Sturgeon has said essential workers only after her spokesperson in Westminster contradicted her in PMQs regarding essential workers only. Incidentally the Boris Johnson agreed with him. It is very frustrating. Not many politicians will put their neck on the line. When they do give a definitive answer they change to a neutral standpoint sharpish. We are talking lives and they are frightened.  The pressure on ALL of us is on a level not many have experienced before. 
 I admit that thought worried me deeply ( one of customers dies) a lot of mine are frail and elderly and even though I had no contact at all, they would go through all possibilities (who has been there etc) And even though highly unlikely it was to do with me, that wouldnt help my case. So tools down for me. Though I feel real bad for anyone who is stuffed by this, just hope the safety net somehow can keep them going.

And the sooner some wise old heads get that In their head on here the better .
I am not working, haven't worked since last Thursday, my whole input in this is to defend those that are legally working from the holy that are lecturing them that they shouldn't be.

We have traditional window cleaners on here that risk their lives everyday, I wouldn't think about lecturing them on going to WFP. 

It's not just you don't worry, I've never applied for any kind of help from the gov in my working life, but now I'm reading about the different options just in case...

I never thought I would need to but that's just the way it is.  I can't get the new self-employed help package as I've been going for less than a year, so in some ways I'm trying to look at applying for help as our version of that deal of you know what I mean. 

If I remember rightly (I might be wrong) that is what we have been advised, kind of: 'If you don't qualify for this new help package, apply for UC/etc.'

I hope it doesn't come to that, but for my own peace of mind I'm learning about the options as at the end of the day it might be what we need to do.  To be honest, I'm grateful there's options like these available for those on hard times. 

We might not have a lavish lifestyle for a while but I'm appreciating the thought of concentrating on having the basics, house/food ?
Sorry, mate. It's really harsh for people such as yourself.

If you end up applying for UC I would highly suggest you apply online. The phone lines for ESA are impossible and I'm guessing it's worse for UC.

You're right. No one prepares for a pandemic in any future financial planning. This could go on for a lot longer than any broken arm fund can handle. Can you imagine telling people before all this that you put a few quid aside for a pandemic?  They'd think you were barking mad. It's fair to say we will though in the future.  It's caught the whole world out. ( Apart from a few expert virologists who no one listened to, scaremongers etc)  
Bit like when Noah was building the ark all those years ago !

Would you go out window cleaning if you had the virus? Obviously the immediate answer would be of course not! Stupid question. 

So the next question is, why wouldn't you go out if you have it?  Obvious again, so we don't spread it.

You can have this virus without knowing. 

I think you know where I'm going here

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in two minds wether to go cleaning.ive had customers asking me to do them.i work on my own and travel on my own.what should I do.dont want people looking at me and thinking things 

Back