Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Are window cleaners still allowed to work during Coronavirus (Covid-19)?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Well, we could talk about, beer, sex and football?
Football don't get this forum started...22men kicking a bag of air about on massive wages(mostly not deserved)

obviously  at amateur level, its good to get out in the fresh air and run about, but mind no-one bumps into you or touches your ankle, you may need hospital treatment or at least and NHS professional...keep safe..

as for sex...its not xmas or birthday yet

booze...shops sold out so nicking the cooking sherry,

GOD I NEED TO GO WINSOW CLEANING

Reading through this thread is absolutely fascinating. It's almost like some people are trying to find loopholes in public statements/literature to justify them going out to clean windows. People need to see out of their windows/mental state and well being etc, I actually pmsl when I read that ffs seriously! I've been doing this for decades, it is just window cleaning plain and simple nothing more, nothing less.

We all need money, we all want to work, it's horrible staying and it's just my opinion here but what it comes down to simply two things... greed and selfishness. Don't mean to offend anyone either, I know it is a touchy subject but that's the way I see it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reading through this thread is absolutely fascinating. It's almost like some people are trying to find loopholes in public statements/literature to justify them going out to clean windows. People need to see out of their windows/mental state and well being etc, I actually pmsl when I read that ffs seriously! I've been doing this for decades, it is just window cleaning plain and simple nothing more, nothing less.

We all need money, we all want to work, it's horrible staying and it's just my opinion here but what it comes down to simply two things... greed and selfishness. Don't mean to offend anyone either, I know it is a touchy subject but that's the way I see it.
Trying to find loopholes in statements from the GOVERNMENT (the authority we should listen to) saying go to work if you can social distance and can't work from home.

I'm choosing to stay home but whatever spin you put on it I'm the one not doing as I'm told by staying home.

As for greed and selfishness have you not seen on here that some people have no chance of getting a payment in june or no savings to last until then but need to buy food etc.

Get off your soapbox .

Trying to find loopholes in statements from the GOVERNMENT (the authority we should listen to) saying go to work if you can social distance and can't work from home.

I'm choosing to stay home but whatever spin you put on it I'm the one not doing as I'm told by staying home.

As for greed and selfishness have you not seen on here that some people have no chance of getting a payment in june or no savings to last until then but need to buy food etc.

Get off your soapbox .
Firstly, I know it's a very prickly subject matter but I think we can refrain things getting heated and have an adult conversation about something very personal ?

I'm not from the UK, I have watched the same stuff you have and it was clear as day to me as a person, staying at home was common sense and is the right thing to do, our government seemed to do this a bit quicker than the UK with closing stuff down and social distancing.  We are not and never will be essential workers that is an absolute fact. I wish we were but we are not, my wife is a nurse so I know the sh*t they are going through and anyone saying a window cleaner is an essential worker is frankly insulting to the people who are. I'm off now 11 days so far, I think I could have went out to work early last week for some commercial jobs but I just thought I shouldn't & some of my customers would look at me and think "WTF is this fella doing cleaning windows", especially we they didn't even want to be there themselves.

And before you say stuff like "get off your soapbox" remember this mate, I am in exactly the same position as you are and the rest of the guys on here. I have no earnings & I don't know if I will get money from my government but my fear is the longer this goes on, the worse it will be for our business and many other businesses long term. I'm worried, very worried but I feel I am doing my bit.

The way I see it is the quicker we act now, use common sense and do what we have to do... the quicker we help this pass and get back to our normal lives. Most businesses can sustain for the short term but I fear if this is long term then the impact will be huge.

I’ve contacted about 30-40% of my customers via text, phone and social media to explain why I won’t be working for a while. I wasn’t keen on pushing letters through my customers doors as I was worried I could potentially spread it. But I’ve changed my mind. In my village of about 13,000 people, there’s roughly 15/20 window cleaners. I’ve seen at least 3 of them out working. I know the majority of the other lads/businesses aren’t working, but I got a bit worried that my customers would see other window cleaners out working still and ask them to clean their windows (I live right by the sea so windows are always filthy around here!)

So yesterday I embarked on a letter campaign that involves posting roughly 500-600 letters to my remaining customers. The response thus far has been unanimous - ‘you’re doing the right thing’. 

I had one customer contact me last night (I was actually due there yesterday) saying thanks for not coming, her stepdad died of COVID over the weekend. Can you imagine if I’d turned up there yesterday?!

Personally, I think showing my customers that I’m putting the health of others/NHS over my profit for a brief period of time is going to do A LOT more for my business/customer loyalty/relationships in the LONG TERM. Long term thinking is crucial for any business. Yes a customer may say they’re happy for us to come. But we’re the polite British, how do we know that behind closed doors they’re not saying ‘what a ******’?

I’m not having a pop at those who are still working. I just again want others to think about what is going to be best for our businesses 6,12,18 months down the line.
If you only entered yesterday on your letters how on earth can you have had everyone telling you you’re doing the right thing? ?

Anyone working today because of what Chris Choi said last night on telly?
Im not working.Been off since last monday.Ive a large round of domestic houses with a lot of elderly customers.All pay in cash on day or on my collecting nights.Dont think its safe and i think a lot of my customers would be upset/angry if i turned up.Just dosent seem right when the streets are deserted.

If you only entered yesterday on your letters how on earth can you have had everyone telling you you’re doing the right thing? ?
If you take the time to read my post you’ll notice ‘I have already contacted 30-40% of my customers via text, phone and social media.’ I did that a week ago. That’s about 300 customers. I’ve had replies from almost half. They have all said I’m doing the right thing.

You’ll also notice at no point did I say ‘everyone has told me’. I said ‘thus far the response has been unanimous’.

*drops mic*

I’ve had the past few days off but also have 4-5 jobs (window cleaning & gutter cleaning) that are happy for me to continue this week or next ...

After that I have no work to do as my other customers don’t want me there which is understandable but not helpful to my current circumstances ...

I messaged the customers that have asked me to continue, saying how I plan on working during this time, basically I’ll stay outside, they stay inside, they either put the payment in an envelope and leave it out somewhere safe or pay through BACS, I’ll sanitise my hands and be wearing gloves and possibly a mask ...

So, there is no unnecessary contact what so ever ...

I tried working from home but I’ve only got 100m of delivery hose so that didn’t work out as the customers are near to 2 miles away!

I am optimistic that once the knee jerk reactions have calmed a little then customers will realise that we (window cleaners) don’t pose too greater threat as long as we adopt strict safety measures and after seeing how many other industries are currently working they may feel a bit easier about us cleaning their windows ...

I think we all suffer that pang of guilt when we keep hearing about key workers, essential work, stay indoors & protect the NHS, which i am 100% in agreement with, but many of us haven’t earned for over a week or longer and starting to feel the affects of having no income so that catch 22 situation soon raises its head ...

Ive seen and passed dozens of people whilst walking my dog the past few days, or when I went essential shopping in Tesco, more people in fact than I normally encounter whilst window cleaning, apart from the occasional customer I don’t usually speak to many people throughout the course of my working day! I felt more unease by being around people when walking my dog and / or being in Tesco than I did window cleaning ...

In my opinion, if the customer is happy for you to carry on and so long as we adopt strict safety measures / distancing / sanitising etc then we pose no real threat ...

Stay safe, stay focused, stay optimistic and keep thinking that this will soon come to pass and we’ll be back out window cleaning full time in the summer sun earning a nice few £££.

Im not working.Been off since last monday.Ive a large round of domestic houses with a lot of elderly customers.All pay in cash on day or on my collecting nights.Dont think its safe and i think a lot of my customers would be upset/angry if i turned up.Just dosent seem right when the streets are deserted.Just been bank to pay some coins in and they refused to take them.

It really hasn't helped that the various statements and guidances from Govt have not been consistent.  I listened to the PM's Statement last Monday and thought we couldn't go to work and that I wouldn't be able to see my kids (I have shared access with the ex).  This is incorrect.

I think things are now becoming clearer over the past few days.  But I'm not taking the guidance or statements as gospel because of the poor and inconsistent messages.

The key messages are found in the legislation, which incidentally the guidances should reflect.  They are getting there though!

My wife's delighted today I cleaned our windows first time since September ?

Even did the insides . 

On a serious note I spoke to my cousin she is an ICU nurse I asked her about working and asthma she said stay in this is really about to hot up big time . 

I was always going to stay home but like some professional opinion so she has just validated my own personal choice .. I clean her windows by the way ?

My wife's delighted today I cleaned our windows first time since September ?

Even did the insides . 

On a serious note I spoke to my cousin she is an ICU nurse I asked her about working and asthma she said stay in this is really about to hot up big time . 

I was always going to stay home but like some professional opinion so she has just validated my own personal choice .. I clean her windows by the way ?
My sister's a nurse, a very intelligent one doing a PhD at the moment.

But she's the last person I speak to about advice on working.  It's all doom and gloom in the NHS - and with all respect, they don't look at the bigger picture.

If you take the time to read my post you’ll notice ‘I have already contacted 30-40% of my customers via text, phone and social media.’ I did that a week ago. That’s about 300 customers. I’ve had replies from almost half. They have all said I’m doing the right thing.

You’ll also notice at no point did I say ‘everyone has told me’. I said ‘thus far the response has been unanimous’.

*drops mic*

So yesterday I embarked on a letter campaign that involves posting roughly 500-600 letters to my remaining customers. The response thus far has been unanimous - ‘you’re doing the right thing’. 
... is what you wrote. But no biggie. 

Latest Posts

Back