Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Are window cleaners still allowed to work during Coronavirus (Covid-19)?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

You lot should search / the spectator corona virus / ,all testing is being done in hospitals to people that are already ill. So by default all the data shows the government a 5% plus death rate, multiply that through society then you have your answer shut everything down. Except healthy people are not in hospital are not even being tested for the virus, figures are actually no worse than flu. To make this even worse if you die of pneumonia( which is what all these deaths are) they test you for corona if it's positive then it's a corona death. If you die of pneumonia you are not tested for the flu virus so not recorded as flu, flu death rates are approx 0.1% without this testing. Estimates for death rates from corona virus between 0.25 and 1% but this is with testing. If everyone that has died of pneumonia in the past had been tested for the flu virus and recorded in the same way as corona is then it is undeniable, this is no worse than the flu outbreak that happens every year. World death rates will remain constant and all this is for nothing. Sweden have best idea keep all vulnerable and old at home let everyone else carry on, will be interesting to see if they fair better or worse than everyone else. Like I say google spectator corona virus

You lot should search / the spectator corona virus / ,all testing is being done in hospitals to people that are already ill. So by default all the data shows the government a 5% plus death rate, multiply that through society then you have your answer shut everything down. Except healthy people are not in hospital are not even being tested for the virus, figures are actually no worse than flu. To make this even worse if you die of pneumonia( which is what all these deaths are) they test you for corona if it's positive then it's a corona death. If you die of pneumonia you are not tested for the flu virus so not recorded as flu, flu death rates are approx 0.1% without this testing. Estimates for death rates from corona virus between 0.25 and 1% but this is with testing. If everyone that has died of pneumonia in the past had been tested for the flu virus and recorded in the same way as corona is then it is undeniable, this is no worse than the flu outbreak that happens every year. World death rates will remain constant and all this is for nothing. Sweden have best idea keep all vulnerable and old at home let everyone else carry on, will be interesting to see if they fair better or worse than everyone else. Like I say google spectator corona virus
I think they might have liked to try. But public outcry etc wins over. Right im getting out of this house, no work today but sure as hell aint sitting indoors all day

Your missing one vital fact. The UKs coronavirus numbers/stats are taken from lockdown as opposed to other stats which are not. This alone makes comparing stats seem a pointless exercise. The true figures and stats will be worked out when this thing burns itself out and vaccines are sorted.

Until then the main purpose of the lockdown is to stop the hospitals becoming overwhelmed with people needing beds and ventilators, hence the speedy converting of arenas into hospitals in case we go the way of Italy and Spain. 

Trying not to turn this question into a wether you should work or not .

But the government is giving out a grant yes im not asking if we will get it as all self employed who hit the criteria will get it .

Its how its paid out . 

O.k if you decide to carry on as normal and you have a few cancellations so basically you do 95% of your work as normal but your 5% down . Can you claim from the government the whole 80% of what you usually get but if you work still your going to have to add the grant to what you have already had as normal and will be taxed a lot more .

Or 

Or are they going to look at the ones that keep on working and say you haven't been affected and just give you 80% of the missing 5% , if you get what  I mean .

I don't get it why work when your going to get 80% of your wages for doing what there asking and keeping safe .

Aot of posts on here about trying to shame the non workers saying there lazy .What about a train of thought of a lot of people who are working are working because they have to because they haven't put proper HONEST tax returns in so if they don't work they cant survive on 80% ………….anyone thought of that angle of looking at it hmmmmmmmmmmmm instead of trying to have a go at people who have taken the decision not to work over safety issues .

If you don't get that last statement you know the ones that are shouting there on £1000  a week but really Mr Taxman has them down as £500 a week so 80% of £500 is £400 so there really in reality £600 down a week …..IS THIS WHY THERE WORKING  I wonder !!! Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm the mind boggles .

Last edited by a moderator:
O.k if you decide to carry on as normal and you have a few cancellations so basically you do 95% of your work as normal but your 5% down . Can you claim from the government the whole 80% of what you usually get but if you work still your going to have to add the grant to what you have already had as normal and will be taxed a lot more .

Or 

Or are they going to look at the ones that keep on working and say you haven't been affected and just give you 80% of the missing 5% , if you get what  I mean .
It isn't possible for the taxman to study everyone's books so I'm assuming that the grant will be 80% of your average last 3 years, no matter what you do. When they add 5% to our Class 4 NI and put tax up 2% to pay for all of this they will sharp recoup their money back  

I don't get it why work when your going to get 80% of your wages for doing what there asking and keeping safe .

Aot of posts on here about trying to shame the non workers saying there lazy .
Nobody as far as I can see is trying to shame non workers. 

In fact quite the opposite.

If you're gonna stay home do it because you feel it's the right thing to do which then is morally the right thing for you to be doing .. not because it's an easy life getting paid without working when others are out trying to support the economy which is going to suffer from this.

I am at home but am gonna get back out there next week.. used it as an excuse for a 2 week holiday but now back to it.

I can afford to stay home but somebody needs to be out working keeping things ticking over.

Thought I'd drop back on here after a few days off the internet, I was starting to be glued to me phone ! Nice to see we still chatting about the obvious. The less obvious however is how some folk catch this Corona. My wife's grandma, who lives alone and hasn't had anyone apart from the shopping being delivered once a week from a family member developed a temp and a cough. Worried for her , my wifes mum rang the ambulance as she didn't want to go in as then it affects her as well as the other household . Anyway long story short, ambulance took her in, day later phone call, she's tested positive for it, no one allowed in to see her for obvious reasons. She's in hospital in the midlands now for the foreseeable.....

My question is the ONLY contact we can see she's had in over 3 weeks is royal mail letters and the food delivery which is on doorstep. No human contact whatsoever. 

This is the exact reason they government tell us to stay indoors. It's speading without us necessary knowing. How folk can say we are no risk to anyone as we are outdoors and don't take cash etc is either plain niave or the urge to get money in the bank is too much. Those who are getting paid 80% and that are out at work are greedy, I'm getting 80% and I can live on that as its only 20% less than usual. I intend to stay away from my customers until it's safe enough to work and at the minute the figures are rocketing. Not a rant, just explaining anyone can get or give it so why would we want to risk it?? Cheers.

If you're gonna stay home do it because you feel it's the right thing to do which then is morally the right thing for you to be doing .. not because it's an easy life getting paid without working when others are out trying to support the economy which is going to suffer from this.

I am at home but am gonna get back out there next week.. used it as an excuse for a 2 week holiday but now back to it.

I can afford to stay home but somebody needs to be out working keeping things ticking over.
You just quite elegantly just did , my exact point !!

Dave don't take this the wrong way but your part of the very real problem as now I take it personally as I have a in-law infected from no wrong doing of her own. I don't blame you personally obviously as you haven't been out yet but collectively people who are moving about when we get told to stay at home and get paid to do so is beyond me. 

No one is at no risk and your about to put business before peoples lives. 

It's the fact we are being told we should go to work to help the economy.

Hard to know what to do isn't it?

Government saying if you can't work from home you should travel..

Yes it's hard to know what to do and I get that as I was 'shall I shall I not' for days last week but my van hasn't turned a key since last Tues and I can't see it doing until I can do it safely. 

The government are paying me to sit here and my customers that I have contacts for Inc businesses are fine and just expresses thanks for the contact to say I hadn't just closed the business.

End of the day it's the individuals call to make but I had to express my concern! 

It's the fact we are being told we should go to work to help the economy.

Hard to know what to do isn't it?

Government saying if you can't work from home you should travel..
They are not saying should,  on the government guidelines which we all agree is the best source legally it uses the words may/can. It's up to you,  although LParker's experience shows how we are dealing with the unknown and does bring it home. 

Yes it's hard to know what to do and I get that as I was 'shall I shall I not' for days last week but my van hasn't turned a key since last Tues and I can't see it doing until I can do it safely. 

The government are paying me to sit here and my customers that I have contacts for Inc businesses are fine and just expresses thanks for the contact to say I hadn't just closed the business.

End of the day it's the individuals call to make but I had to express my concern! 
I thought you had a lorry driving job starting last Tuesday mate?

It isn't possible for the taxman to study everyone's books so I'm assuming that the grant will be 80% of your average last 3 years, no matter what you do. When they add 5% to our Class 4 NI and put tax up 2% to pay for all of this they will sharp recoup their money back  
Im not disagreeing im just confused with all this coz for the ones that carry on working there standing to pocket a lot of money and I cant see the government allowing this to happen as the point of the grant is to STOP people working .

say if you get a £1000 a week and there is only 4 weeks In a month to make it easy as technically its 4.5 weeks .

That's £4000 yes so you keep on working and lose lets say 10%  making it £3600 for the month . So on top of that your going to get for your monthly payment a grant of £3200 if its a flat rate there dishing out so in grand total that's £6800  to which lets say you be taxed at 20% roughly giving you a whopping £5440 a month after tax deduction ………..there isn't a CAT IN HELLS CHANCE ITS GOING TO WORK LIKE THIS . That would be actively encouraging you to work .

So as I see it its not going to be a blanket grant its going to only top you up to what you should usually get if you work . So therefore you lot who are going back to work are going back to work for bloody nothing .As surely this is about encouraging you not to work .

Or am I missing something ovious here ??.

I know the max u can get a month is £2500 before I get a clever **** answer but the point is the same .

The only reason I can see to work is if you haven't been honest on your tax returns or you don't qualify for the 80% and even then there is WTC or UC or ESA ? . 

And agreed NIC is deffo going up .

Exactly my sentence to the agency, but again it's like pot kettle black for me as I'm not window cleaning but willing to jump in a wagon and deliver supplies. Suppose that is essential mind. ??

Exactly my sentence to the agency, but again it's like pot kettle black for me as I'm not window cleaning but willing to jump in a wagon and deliver supplies. Suppose that is essential mind. ??
That's the thing isn't it.

Driving will get you some money coming in and help the economy but like your in law you will still come in contact with someone or something touched by others and is not totally risk free.

Very hard to know what to do for the best.

I would be inclined to clean windows rather than drive personally as I feel I would be safer doing that with taking precautions etc.

Back