Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

At the risk of opening a can of worms.....

WCF

Help Support WCF:

We have had coal in the midlands, in fact a fantastic Mining heritage..and many pit villages, I live in one!!! Different world...I do not know.
 Maybe or maybe not, I can only go off my experiences of peoples perceptions of windys, people can be all update with fashion and tech in their house etc but still assume windows should be done trad and that somethings shouldn't move forward including prices,

my example is the village I grew up in, almost 20 years ago I set up cleaning trad and had 2 days work near enough around 50 houses or so from memory in the village, over the years I increased my prices every 2-3 years and this hadn't been done as often before so I lost work every time, I switched to wfp and quite a few dropped me because they wanted trad in the end it dwindled down to about 10 jobs, there was two other trad lads doing the work cheaper than me so they got all my work in the end as I dropped the lot and we moved, the other two lads are still cleaning there and they are both still trad. 

Some people and maybe certain generations want things not to change and aren't willing to give something new or people a bit of time and realise that somethings have to change. 

If a customer comes up to u and asks for a price and your scared to give a price because you may be "stepping on another window cleaners toes" then you are failing in business.

Concentrate on your own business and prices and stop worrying about upsetting other window cleaners

Dog eat dog
Woah, you can eat what you want but round here we eat Lamb, Chicken and Beef ??

Got rained off today but did most of them for free and it was worth it for the reaction i received. The hoppers were the worst because of the vents. I reckon wfp will be good on new estates because the vents will be nice and clean or new windows.
If you're ever in the mood for working for free Scottish you can come and do my work ?

Not the case at all, working on a developing housing estate can be almost like doing first cleans every time depending on how close the construction is and on dry windy day they can be like sandstorms the dust gets every where, I have had jobs that looked like they hadn't been cleaned in months yet were only cleaned 4 weeks previously 
Couldn't agree more. I've got one that I have to rinse the brick dust from each window before I can start cleaning. Then there's the issue of render left on the frames that the builders didn't bother with which seems to be a common theme round here.

Maybe or maybe not, I can only go off my experiences of peoples perceptions of windys, people can be all update with fashion and tech in their house etc but still assume windows should be done trad and that somethings shouldn't move forward including prices,

my example is the village I grew up in, almost 20 years ago I set up cleaning trad and had 2 days work near enough around 50 houses or so from memory in the village, over the years I increased my prices every 2-3 years and this hadn't been done as often before so I lost work every time, I switched to wfp and quite a few dropped me because they wanted trad in the end it dwindled down to about 10 jobs, there was two other trad lads doing the work cheaper than me so they got all my work in the end as I dropped the lot and we moved, the other two lads are still cleaning there and they are both still trad. 

Some people and maybe certain generations want things not to change and aren't willing to give something new or people a bit of time and realise that somethings have to change. 
When I had a Trad round in the late 70s it was normal to do fortnightly cleans. Years later people want Monthly (hopefully)

Couldn't agree more. I've got one that I have to rinse the brick dust from each window before I can start cleaning. Then there's the issue of render left on the frames that the builders didn't bother with which seems to be a common theme round here.
I wish it was only one ? I have quite a few and it can vary across the year and years, the house builder's never seem to complete one street or block of streets all close by they build a load houses in one area of a development then start up in another area then years later start building right next to houses that have being built from 2-3 years previously,

My method is the same or similar to yours, rinse the top of the frame first until the water looks to run clear then scrub and rinse the top again to rinse away that dislodged dust/dirt then a very quick rinse down the glass scrub the bottom of the frame then the sill, then onto to window #2 same again then clean the glass of window #1 and so on I have found this to be the best way after 9 years of working new build estates,

I use the same method for first cleans but do all the frames first of the front of a house then the glass and work around the house the same, it's not failed me yet and I have over 200 houses on new build estates that continue to grow and continue to be a p.i.a at times thanks to the house builders.

Wasn't happy with my wfp results so why should they pay for poor result. Remember i have the gold standard fire service pension coming in each month. When you retire you will realise how worthwhile it was paying it every month.

if you're retired on a good pension.Why invest as much as you have to set up in window cleaning if you don't have to work?

Had this last week funnily enough, chap 3 houses down from me wants me to clean their windows, has a window cleaner currently but always leaves the windows with streaks down from the top frame. Ive no problem pricing for this work because if i don't get it he'll only go and find another company!?

Had this last week funnily enough, chap 3 houses down from me wants me to clean their windows, has a window cleaner currently but always leaves the windows with streaks down from the top frame. Ive no problem pricing for this work because if i don't get it he'll only go and find another company!?

That wasn't me was it when i had my introduction to wfp. Every window i cleaned had streaks down the glass coming from the vents.?

Very entertaining read. A windie allegedly alcoholic fell off ladders near me and left 2k of work, as not enough windies around kept getting calls, picked up most of it. He was doing houses for £4-£5 I have managed to get £10 but what an arguement with some folk, I walked away from a few, they have been ringing back. Window cleaning is not about beer money and fags, its my mortgage and a business that requires funding and wages paying. Mostly older folk who want a wooden ladder, rag and bucket man who turns up when its sunny only.  Important to project a professional image which sadly some dont and keep the trade in the dark ages by not charging enough or looking smart and tidy. Who wants a scruff looking into their windows, I dont so why should we look scruffy and a mess when working.

What was this thread all about? Ive forgotten must be from working too hard and not for free for sure!!!!!!

Back