Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Best way to gain new customers ?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

rafterys2003

Hi everybody hope you are all well

I'm looking at doubling my workload and I was wondering what in your experience is the best way to draw in new customers ? In the past I have just canvassed, never really done much online advertising or any other forms. Canvassing for me seemed to work a bit but I think most of my business has actually come from word of mouth. So just curious as to what worked and didn't work so much for you guys ?

Thanks all

Local groups on Facebook have worked great for me.

Short sweet and straight to the point message that says you're taking on some regular customers, add a couple of nice photos and that'll do.

Best times to do this are between 7-9pm so expect to stay up late and reply to them all, if you do it much earlier everyone's cooking tea putting kids to bed etc and it just gets lost.

Find all the local groups in the areas you work, write them down including the days that adverts are aloud as most let you do it once a week etc.

Then set alarms for future weeks to post again. I haven't done it in a while but some groups near me I've put a post on and ended up with 20 new customers come through all at once.

I spoke to a local guy who I seen advertises for the first clean half price, but also only does GoCardless and makes them sign up before he goes round, and he said the drop off from people just wanting a one off is absolute minimal.

Obviously for someone extremely busy and not bothered for new customers I can see this is pointless, but if wanting a lot of work quick maybe it's a good idea? Be nice to see other people's opinions on it.

I spoke to a local guy who I seen advertises for the first clean half price, but also only does GoCardless and makes them sign up before he goes round, and he said the drop off from people just wanting a one off is absolute minimal.

Obviously for someone extremely busy and not bothered for new customers I can see this is pointless, but if wanting a lot of work quick maybe it's a good idea? Be nice to see other people's opinions on it.
I would do exactly the opposite charge more for the first clean you don’t suddenly want 20-30 first cleans to do at half price , but that’s just me , if ones don’t want to charge extra then I get that but doing first clean half price is shear madness and will definitely be attractive to all the one off and other pita customers that you don’t want .

Doing something like a half-price clean to me is madness, I charge double for a first clean, the thing is with GoCardless people won't go to the trouble of signing up for a direct debit if they just want a one-off.

I pay through the nose for GC the fees outweigh all chasing of debts, Squeegee does automatic card payments so that would probably be the best route to go down
Back to the OP's question canvassing is king as I know lads that have built large customer bases doing so, yes FB can work as a mate of mine who owns a carpet cleaning business posts on groups for miles around.

Last edited:
Doing something like a half-price clean to me is madness, I charge double for a first clean, the thing is with GoCardless people won't go to the trouble of signing up for a direct debit if they just want a one-off.

I pay through the nose for GC the fees outweigh all chasing of debts, Squeegee does automatic card payments so that would probably be the best route to go down
Back to the OP's question canvassing is king as I know lads that have built large customer bases doing so, yes FB can work as a mate of mine who owns a carpet cleaning business posts on groups for miles around.
I agree that people won't mess around with direct debit for a one off, but if someone is wanting to double there workload past, surely this option is viable if using GoCardless customers only.

I agree that people won't mess around with direct debit for a one off, but if someone is wanting to double there workload past, surely this option is viable if using GoCardless customers only.
It's a viable option but just like anything nothing to stop people from cancelling also it will depend on someone's location and how far they are willing to travel, but if @rafterys2003 is needing to double his workload then almost anything is worth a punt, it's just not something I'd personally do but my own situation is different

I started off cheap and doing first cleans at normal price. Fairly soon I bitterly regretted it. Now I'm twice the clean rate or even more depending on the state of the windows. Today I did two first cleans, one by mistake, I was sure the side door meant an upstairs flat. Wasn't till the lady came out and said thanks for cleaning my windows and new guy has downstairs flat. She said she would pay me so I asked for a regular clean cost and same with downstairs so both are equal. Another lesson in this game, don't assume all flats are the same setup.

I know a lot of people on here don`t rate it too highly but I got a heck of a lot of customers through checkatrade. It`s quite pricey but worked well for me. Or just get a well sorted website.
That's a fair point and I know Checkatrade is good for some people, some not all. But, I wouldn't call it "quite pricey". More like far too expensive.
The other problem with it is it's almost a search engine within a search engine and prodices another list of results. As I understand it, where you rank in those results depends on how long you've advertised with them and number of reviews.
I don't know enough about C/trade to state this as a fact but my assumption, and it is just an opinion, would be that they'll always favour their well established, longstanding advertisers over newcomers. They're going to look after their most trusted sources of income.
So why pay a grand a year just to rank on page 2 or 3 or wherever in their results?

R.E. original question I'd say a website and / or online presence. You don't need a website or incur ecpense to register with facebook, Google Business Profile, Bing Places, Yell, Yelp etc etc

That's a fair point and I know Checkatrade is good for some people, some not all. But, I wouldn't call it "quite pricey". More like far too expensive.
The other problem with it is it's almost a search engine within a search engine and prodices another list of results. As I understand it, where you rank in those results depends on how long you've advertised with them and number of reviews.
I don't know enough about C/trade to state this as a fact but my assumption, and it is just an opinion, would be that they'll always favour their well established, longstanding advertisers over newcomers. They're going to look after their most trusted sources of income.
So why pay a grand a year just to rank on page 2 or 3 or wherever in their results?

R.E. original question I'd say a website and / or online presence. You don't need a website or incur ecpense to register with facebook, Google Business Profile, Bing Places, Yell, Yelp etc etc
Checkatrade is different than a search engine, clients on it are verified. They even offer a guarantee of up to a grand now. Usually get good customers but the area is too big. I was getting customers from 10 miles away to do all sorts of cleaning. When I joined in 2018 it was great and the guy who set it up still ran it but now he has sold out to Homeserve. I feel they were just after the money and doubled the price and cut your job titles down to one. In the end, like any good thing that is bought over with multi national company it dies a slow death. I got in at right time and out at the right time. Don't spend anything now on advertising because I have 100 odd customers and gain a new one each week from walk ups.

I picked up another new customer today. The guy never came back and was using an old cloth. I have noticed customers want their doors and pvc cleaned around the windows now so the Trad is slowly dying.
I've had a few new lately who swapped because the current guy doesn't do the PVC/doors, but also mentioned that I'm more expensive ?

Just a thought, people are happy to buy a round for 3+ times the monthly value. So to you, (not the customer) you are cleaning free for 3 or more times before you get any money. Giving a half-price or even free first clean, if it brings the punters in, is very viable and in fact, quite a cheap form of marketing or business purchase. It's more the psychology of giving something away.
But, buying a round or spending on a website and marketing is ALL doing a certain number of cleans, or a percentage a clean, free of charge. It's just a different way of looking at it.

My opinion only of course.

Just a thought, people are happy to buy a round for 3+ times the monthly value. So to you, (not the customer) you are cleaning free for 3 or more times before you get any money. Giving a half-price or even free first clean, if it brings the punters in, is very viable and in fact, quite a cheap form of marketing or business purchase. It's more the psychology of giving something away.
But, buying a round or spending on a website and marketing is ALL doing a certain number of cleans, or a percentage a clean, free of charge. It's just a different way of looking at it.

My opinion only of course.
Difference is you are buying customers that want their windows cleaning regularly. Offering cheap 1st cleans will, in my opinion, yield next to non regular customers.

Ok, but I know someone who did this, offering free cleans with no obligation and built an entire round. Reckoned he got 80% retention. Takes balls to do, but he said to detach all emotion, do the cleans and 8 out of ten will be your long term customers. Said it was a rapid way to build.

Anyhow, if the opening post wants to double his work, he should try everything.

Ok, but I know someone who did this, offering free cleans with no obligation and built an entire round. Reckoned he got 80% retention. Takes balls to do, but he said to detach all emotion, do the cleans and 8 out of ten will be your long term customers. Said it was a rapid way to build.

Sounds like a very strange and non cost effect way to get good quality customers to me , but each to their own

I mean, if it works it works. I would really be hesitant to try it for the reasons others mentioned, but it may be worth a shot.

Latest Posts

Back