Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Best WFP technique

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Mattygno1

Hi everyone my names Matt been WFP’ing since June (only a couple of days a month) and then have been putting all efforts into it since September. I have had some really hard first cleans (I scrub frames first on all tops, then windows, then move to the next one, do all tops on fronts, go back, re agitate twice and then rinse using the S method - seen this on YouTube) no complaints until the other day when the person said there windows looked awful. I haven’t been back (offered to redo) and lost the customer, however, no real feedback from them. I have looked a YouTube for the best firstclean technique and maintenance techniques but, they seem to be really conflicting. Can anyone help out and advise the best way they do it and one that works well for them? I use a Gardiner SLX 25, and have a medium sill brush, and soft flocked for leaded and Georgian windows and a Supreme for everyday uPVC windows. Thanks in advance for any help and techniques. Cheers Matt. 

Hi Matt,

Good on you, keep it up! Sounds like the equipment you’re using is absolutely fine, if ppm of water is below 5 then it’s not that.

And your technique sounds ok, some people have different ways of doing first cleans.

For me it depends on how dirty they are, if they’re a first clean in the sense of ‘oh we haven’t seen our window cleaner for 3/4 months now” then I’d treat it like a normal regular window clean, just scrub it slightly more on a slightly higher flow rate than normal.

If it’s a filthy 12/18 month or even way longer, then for me it’s a light chemical & agitate. Then clean.

But if you don’t use a chemical, I didn’t for a while, then it’s high flow rate, scrub the hell out of all the frames & sill 1st, then rinse those frames (especially the top one) 

move on to the next window do the same, then by the time you’ve scrubbed & rinsed the next window frames I’d go back to scrub the glass. Keep a eye out for any running/bleeding/dripping window black seals. That’s normally the culprit of a first clean not going great. 

Ive learned to price 1st cleans better now as I’ve come to realise you can’t rush them. 

You’re still new & getting used to it, all of us have done not a great job in our early days. 

And regarding videos, I didn’t actually find them that useful, I started comparing myself & trying to work at their speed etc. Every 1st clean is different. But If you scrub every inch very thoroughly & double rinse everything then it’ll be fine. Don’t over think it. 

Thank you for the info. And it makes sense. I don’t use a chemical at the moment but, have seen (on YouTube again) a chemical called UBIX to use, is it worth using this or if not this, what do you use? What do you do if there is cement or render on the widows? I have a scraper attachment but, it seems ok for bird muck, but anything more intense it just doesn’t work! Thanks again. 

Thank you for the info. And it makes sense. I don’t use a chemical at the moment but, have seen (on YouTube again) a chemical called UBIX to use, is it worth using this or if not this, what do you use? What do you do if there is cement or render on the widows? I have a scraper attachment but, it seems ok for bird muck, but anything more intense it just doesn’t work! Thanks again. 
Yeh I use ubix now. Used to use tfr but wasn’t keen on it. Think I bought 2x 5Ls bottles for £12 or something back in May, just finishing the 1st bottle now.

cement yes is annoying, I have a metal scraper which is ok, sharp blades, but for upstairs windows I bring my long ladder and get up there annoyingly. I prefer  not doing jobs like that. 

The scraper attachment as you said is good for birds muck though yes.

I wont touch cement at all because as soon as you do any potential damage underneath which can happen instantly makes you liable in the eyes of the client

County Durham Lad

For me, it totally depends on the state of the windows when I first arrive to do a first clean. If they look relatively clean ie. No moss or heavy residue build up I simply give them a really good scrub. Maybe clean them twice. However if they are really bad, the Screwfix degreaser comes out. I'll give the window a good soaking first, then spray my brush with the degreaser and scrub the windows with it..ALL of the window including the vents. I'll then let that dwell as I do the same to the next window. Once the next one is dwelling, I'll move back to the previous window and give it a final good scrub and an even better rinse. I do that all around the house until finished. Once done, go back and check all the windows making sure the vents aren't dripping any dirty water. If not, happy days I'm done. 

Back