Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Beware whats in the conifer

WCF

Help Support WCF:

ks789

Was driving down a small country lane today, so small had to brush against a conifer hedge. Heard an almighty bang. For the life of me I was convinced someone had hurled a brick or something at my van. I parked up and had a look, heck of a dent in the connect, just on the corner above the passenger window and windscreen. I went back to this hedge and theres been work going on there and a thick branch sticking in it from a fallen/felled tree, almost hidden with evergreen conifer. So just beware really, never know whats behind that innocent looking foliage. I had a look for anyone about but no one. I think most cars would miss it, but the big 4x4s and delivery vans will get it. Lucky I hadnt got a new van yet, and its cosmetic, but wow, lucky the old connect is a tough old shell in that area.

I'd be taking a photo and sending a complaint to the Council asking for compensation due to the damage. I would stipulate how dangerous it was and they have a duty of care.
If I'd got a new van, as its me old banger wasn't overly fussed, plus knowing how insurance goes they'd probably want to load me for it?

If I'd got a new van, as its me old banger wasn't overly fussed, plus knowing how insurance goes they'd probably want to load me for it?
You shouldn't need to get your insurance involved, Just speak to the Council - I'm assuming it was council property?

You shouldn't need to get your insurance involved, Just speak to the Council - I'm assuming it was council property?
a country lane but I think the hedge was the border of a large garden. If I'd seen someone about I'd have suggested they bung me a 1er and then no more action. As it is, to be fair its not much harm when you look at my banger as a whole. Its hanging in there, 04 reg ford connect. I tell you what, as long as you keep the servicing etc done it just seems bulletproof. Bit of welding mind you, as you'd expect.

My wife’s car was damaged by council workmen using a strimmer 4 chips in the windscreen and multiple chips on the bonnet it’s a black merc so stands out like a soar thumb , the whole car was covered in grass as well . I contacted the council , they wanted 4 independent quotes for the damage to be repaired , gps location supplied of the incident on a digital map , and a full written statement stating the location , date and an exact time , and photographic evidence that the car was parked there . My wife stupidly didn’t take any pictures at the location , after 3 months of phone calls and emails back and ford they have refused the claim due to not having pictures of the car at the location with the grass on it , they have pictures of the chips after the car was washed off but wont accept them as they said it doesn’t prove ware the car was parked . Ime absolutely fuming and have spoken to our mp he has looked into it and said there is nothing he can do he suggested claiming off my own insurance!,, very helpful

My wife’s car was damaged by council workmen using a strimmer 4 chips in the windscreen and multiple chips on the bonnet it’s a black merc so stands out like a soar thumb , the whole car was covered in grass as well . I contacted the council , they wanted 4 independent quotes for the damage to be repaired , gps location supplied of the incident on a digital map , and a full written statement stating the location , date and an exact time , and photographic evidence that the car was parked there . My wife stupidly didn’t take any pictures at the location , after 3 months of phone calls and emails back and ford they have refused the claim due to not having pictures of the car at the location with the grass on it , they have pictures of the chips after the car was washed off but wont accept them as they said it doesn’t prove ware the car was parked . Ime absolutely fuming and have spoken to our mp he has looked into it and said there is nothing he can do he suggested claiming off my own insurance!,, very helpful
I would off just taken it to the main dealer and told Council that the corrosion warranty mercedes provide is not covered if paint work repairs are not conducted by main dealer. I had this issue a while back with a windscreen fitted which was not OEM.. Main dealer would not honour corrosion warranty.

This is why I love having an old banger. Theres no heartache when it gets dinged or damaged.
A lad I know operates like that. He buys old bangers dirt cheap and the money he saves means he can take time off at any given point and go buy another without being hit financially. Me personally like to have a good reliable source of transport although sometimes I wonder if he’s right?

A lad I know operates like that. He buys old bangers dirt cheap and the money he saves means he can take time off at any given point and go buy another without being hit financially. Me personally like to have a good reliable source of transport although sometimes I wonder if he’s right?
I think a lot of that can come down to luck. I bought my 2007 pug expert van 5 years ago. I only paid £2500 back then. It didn`t have any service history but came with a fresh mot and service. Admittedly I have probably spent 1000`s on maintenance and repairs but it always seems to go through the mot without much bother. All the vital parts like engine, gearbox and body are fine. I do keep saying on this forum that I will upgrade but to be honest its so much hassle and expense that I keep putting it off. I`ve heard of window cleaners who have paid 1 grand for an old van and it`s cost them naff all to maintain and has lasted many years.

I think a lot of that can come down to luck. I bought my 2007 pug expert van 5 years ago. I only paid £2500 back then. It didn`t have any service history but came with a fresh mot and service. Admittedly I have probably spent 1000`s on maintenance and repairs but it always seems to go through the mot without much bother. All the vital parts like engine, gearbox and body are fine. I do keep saying on this forum that I will upgrade but to be honest its so much hassle and expense that I keep putting it off. I`ve heard of window cleaners who have paid 1 grand for an old van and it`s cost them naff all to maintain and has lasted many years.
I agree it's a roll of the dice, my wife bought an older one last year we spent 2k on it within 12 months we had no choice but to do the timing belt etc as there was no telling if it had been done then it failed it's MOT and that cost just over 1k we will keep as it now owes us a lot it won't be getting sold for years

I agree it's a roll of the dice, my wife bought an older one last year we spent 2k on it within 12 months we had no choice but to do the timing belt etc as there was no telling if it had been done then it failed it's MOT and that cost just over 1k we will keep as it now owes us a lot it won't be getting sold for years
It is a gamble, before windows when I just drove cars I always tried to buy off an old person who had regularly looked after it and not thrashed it. Now with my van was lucky. £1200 in 2017 ford connect , ex bt van, fully serviced and 90k on clock. Started being sluggish up even slight hills now ( lucky its not too hilly here) so have had gearbox oil change as well as engine oil. Air filter just done, may try the fuel filter as yet. The 2nd hand market just went stupid so I thought i'd stick with it.

It is a gamble, before windows when I just drove cars I always tried to buy off an old person who had regularly looked after it and not thrashed it. Now with my van was lucky. £1200 in 2017 ford connect , ex bt van, fully serviced and 90k on clock. Started being sluggish up even slight hills now ( lucky its not too hilly here) so have had gearbox oil change as well as engine oil. Air filter just done, may try the fuel filter as yet. The 2nd hand market just went stupid so I thought i'd stick with it.
That sounds like a really good deal! Was it from an auction? Have you tryed putting some redex in the tank? That might help.

My wife bought hers when the market was stupid so we paid over the odds for it but she wanted it for a camper she sold her 67 plate car with 25k on the clock which I wasn't happy about at all but we have had countless weekends away and days out so defo worth it despite the cost

That sounds like a really good deal! Was it from an auction? Have you tryed putting some redex in the tank? That might help.
yes thats next, or wynns I thought? anyone know of it? my mechanic seems to think to put the redex in the tank when its nearly empty, I thought it didnt matter but will wait till ive emptied it a bit more.

yes thats next, or wynns I thought? anyone know of it? my mechanic seems to think to put the redex in the tank when its nearly empty, I thought it didnt matter but will wait till ive emptied it a bit more.
no not from auction, was just looking local and pounced as soon as saw it on gumtree. Though they were a damn lot cheaper then.

Redex is ? you want Cataclean it can be bought from Halfords add to 1/4 of a tank of fuel then drive for 20 minutes it will clean the entire fuel system

Does it whistle slightly also
Very common for rubber pipe to turbo to split and get leakage
Soon as you hit a slope it struggles

Just read what the directions say on the bottle. I`ve used redex for years and my van always flies through the mot on emissions whereas normally it would fail so definately works.
I can hear a slight whistle, will look into that mate
I had a pipe from the turbo split on mine and it was showing those symptons so definately worth looking into.

Just read what the directions say on the bottle. I`ve used redex for years and my van always flies through the mot on emissions whereas normally it would fail so definately works.

I had a pipe from the turbo split on mine and it was showing those symptons so definately worth looking into.
for sure mate

Latest Posts

Back