Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Big boy 2

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Happy home

Hi,

Starting off my own business with window cleaning as well as a list of other bits

I was looking at the big boy 2 backpack starter kit.

Anyone had any use from these or advice?

Hi,

Starting off my own business with window cleaning as well as a list of other bits

I was looking at the big boy 2 backpack starter kit.

Anyone had any use from these or advice?
Please use the search tab in the top right-hand corner. We have many posts weekly asking for advice from people wanting to start cleaning windows.

One of the things about buying a starter kit is that they don't sell you the ideal equipment.

Does the Big Boy backpack have a flow controller fitted? Some do, some don't. Could you see yourself lugging 20 litres (30kgs of total weight) around all day? What pole do they supply? The pack I googled included an Unger di vessel? Do you know what the tds of your tap water is? If it's high, then purifying with resin only is going to be very expensive. Before buying anything, buy a tds meter and check your tap water tds. That will give you direction. Buy a genuine one from a recognized wfp supplier - not from Ebay.

What about water? What about customers?

The Gardiner backpack does have a controller and I would always recommend a Gardner SLX27 carbon pole.

Window cleaning is a business that requires financial investment. If you haven't got that, then the chances of you succeeding aren't great. Sorry, but that's the reality.

Last edited:
Please use the search tab in the top right-hand corner. We have many posts weekly asking for advice from people wanting to start cleaning windows.

One of the things about buying a starter kit is that they don't sell you the ideal equipment.

Does the Big Boy backpack have a flow controller fitted? Could you see yourself lugging 20 litres (30kgs of total weight) around all day? What pole do they supply?

What about water? What about customers?

The Gardiner backpack does have a controller and I would always recommend a Gardner SLX27 carbon pole.

Window cleaning is a business that requires financial investment. If you haven't got that, then the chances of you succeeding aren't great. Sorry, but that's the reality.
Hi!

Looking at the starter kits now I was maybe thinking the trolly one and buying the uni valve flow control as well as the walnut wool brush adaptor.

In terms of water I’ll be using spotless as it’s very local to me

Customer wise, I will be starting off along side my full time job so will be happy with weekend/evening customers to start off with. I also will be doing other services as well as cleaning windows but wanted to add it to my list of jobs.

I never said I don’t have financial investment but from the negativeness from your comment about customers and investment… investing tons but still having no customers? Or having loads of customers and no investment? Unsure your reality or trying to put people off?

No business happens over night and have to start somewhere

I've literally just started out myself with the big boy backpack. Backpack is good, but awkward, get yourself a trolley to pull it round on.

If within budget, go for carbon fibre pole, I learned the hard way & had to buy twice, the one that came with the pack was too heavy.

Also, if you are making your own pure water, check it's parts per million with a tds meter first. I didn't, went down the di route with the unger hydro power & now I'm eating through resin as my tap water is well over 100ppm. Needed to go RO route.

Best of luck

Hi!

Looking at the starter kits now I was maybe thinking the trolly one and buying the uni valve flow control as well as the walnut wool brush adaptor.

Customer wise, I will be starting off along side my full time job so will be happy with weekend/evening customers to start off with. I also will be doing other services as well as cleaning windows but wanted to add it to my list of jobs.

I never said I don’t have financial investment but from the negativeness from your comment about customers and investment… investing tons but still having no customers? Or having loads of customers and no investment? Unsure your reality or trying to put people off?

In fairness to @spruce he was only pointing out some of the other things to think about and that this sort of question has been discussed many times before.
I don't think he was being deliberately negative and you've now dealt with his points. And I also agree with you that everyone has to start somewhere and with the right attitude I'm sure you'll succeed. Good luck to you

I know I always say this but, getting equipment is the easy bit.

Getting the work is the tough bit.
If you’re in an area that’s saturated with window cleaners ( highly likely) then you’ll have a good 2 -3 years of slog before you can earn a half decent living , with lots of rubbish customers along the way, unless you buy a round, which comes with different pit falls.
New estates are sought after, so competition is high and prices are low.

It’s not being negative to say that a few make a success of it, but most that start up fall by the wayside.
But good luck, if you work your socks off , and know what your doing, you should be ok??

I've literally just started out myself with the big boy backpack. Backpack is good, but awkward, get yourself a trolley to pull it round on.

If within budget, go for carbon fibre pole, I learned the hard way & had to buy twice, the one that came with the pack was too heavy.

Also, if you are making your own pure water, check it's parts per million with a tds meter first. I didn't, went down the di route with the unger hydro power & now I'm eating through resin as my tap water is well over 100ppm. Needed to go RO route.

Best of luck
Thanks for the advice with the pole! Easy mistake I was ready to make lol!

in terms of water I have a spotless local to me I’m going to use.

Any other tips or advice would be handy?

In fairness to @spruce he was only pointing out some of the other things to think about and that this sort of question has been discussed many times before.
I don't think he was being deliberately negative and you've now dealt with his points. And I also agree with you that everyone has to start somewhere and with the right attitude I'm sure you'll succeed. Good luck to you
Of course I get he might not have been, just seems to be a lot of negativity people putting ‘new’ company’s/workers down before they even start.

I like to think I have a can do attitude and willing to make this work. Let’s see if I can put it into action

I know I always say this but, getting equipment is the easy bit.

Getting the work is the tough bit.
If you’re in an area that’s saturated with window cleaners ( highly likely) then you’ll have a good 2 -3 years of slog before you can earn a half decent living , with lots of rubbish customers along the way, unless you buy a round, which comes with different pit falls.
New estates are sought after, so competition is high and prices are low.

It’s not being negative to say that a few make a success of it, but most that start up fall by the wayside.
But good luck, if you work your socks off , and know what your doing, you should be ok?
I work on new build sits as my current job so hoping to get my foot in with some of the local residences

Not looking forward to the rubbish customers ?

Thanks for the advice tho!

Hi!

I'm sorry if you took my reply negatively. :oops: That was never the intention. Unfortunately, so many people thinking of going into window cleaning look at backpacks as an economical way of starting out. I wasn't implying you had no financial backing, as I don't know you at all; I was speaking generally. I have personally seen so many come into this business with high hopes and expectations, but disappear within a few months for whatever reason. I always try to give advice that is as close to reality as possible, as I believe that is the best way, but it's my reality based on my experience. This business is tough going at the moment for someone just starting out.

Your initial post asked about a starter kit. I personally haven't the strength or health ability to carry a backpack around all day, so that was my response to backpacks will be negative. (I do have a backpack on my van, btw.)

The Unger resin vessel in the kit I googled isn't necessary if you are going to buy water in.

I wouldn't buy a 30-foot Hybrid pole. It's better than a fibreglass pole, but nowhere near the rigidity of a carbon pole.

I agree with your comment of having to start somewhere, and that business doesn't just happen overnight. 20 years ago, it was much easier to build a round from scratch than it is now. Having a job already will take some of the financial pressure off in the beginning with starting your own business. Most don't have that safety net.

I'm just going to wish you well, and I'm going to crawl back under the rock where I came out from this morning.

I'm sorry if you took my reply negatively. :oops: That was never the intention. Unfortunately, so many people thinking of going into window cleaning look at backpacks as an economical way of starting out. I wasn't implying you had no financial backing, as I don't know you at all; I was speaking generally. I have personally seen so many come into this business with high hopes and expectations, but disappear within a few months for whatever reason. I always try to give advice that is as close to reality as possible, as I believe that is the best way, but it's my reality based on my experience. This business is tough going at the moment for someone just starting out.

Your initial post asked about a starter kit. I personally haven't the strength or health ability to carry a backpack around all day, so that was my response to backpacks will be negative. (I do have a backpack on my van, btw.)

The Unger resin vessel in the kit I googled isn't necessary if you are going to buy water in.

I wouldn't buy a 30-foot Hybrid pole. It's better than a fibreglass pole, but nowhere near the rigidity of a carbon pole.

I agree with your comment of having to start somewhere, and that business doesn't just happen overnight. 20 years ago, it was much easier to build a round from scratch than it is now. Having a job already will take some of the financial pressure off in the beginning with starting your own business. Most don't have that safety net.

I'm just going to wish you well, and I'm going to crawl back under the rock where I came out from this morning.
Hahaha

Maybe my bad mate for reading the wrong way this morning, just had many people already in the business try say it’s not possible, everyone fails blah blah usual bits.

Thanks for your advice with the poles etc, massing appropriate it.

Hopefully I can make this my business for my kids to one day own, my empire for the future ??

Long term goals being realistic

Tips wise I would say read as many posts on here as you can and make notes, everyone does things differently.
Before you buy any kit ask here as it might save you making a mistake.
Do your research - i.e. google 'window cleaners near me' and see how many windys their are. Look at all of their web sites and see if you can gauge prices.
Don't be the cheapest even when you start.

Tips wise I would say read as many posts on here as you can and make notes, everyone does things differently.
Before you buy any kit ask here as it might save you making a mistake.
Do your research - i.e. google 'window cleaners near me' and see how many windys their are. Look at all of their web sites and see if you can gauge prices.
Don't be the cheapest even when you start.
Love this. Perfect and to the point

Thank you

Go to your local scotmid or coop and lift a basket what has the wheels on it and the pull up handle, I've a funny feeling that the backpack will fit into said basket and youl be able to wheel it about.

Hahaha

Maybe my bad mate for reading the wrong way this morning, just had many people already in the business try say it’s not possible, everyone fails blah blah usual bits.

Thanks for your advice with the poles etc, massing appropriate it.

Hopefully I can make this my business for my kids to one day own, my empire for the future ??

Long term goals being realistic
One of the biggest problems newbies face is people claiming to make £300 a day, every day, working 9-3. To do this you have either been established for many years or have found a pocket with no window cleaners. Do not put yourself under pressure thinking you'll be one of these.
@spruce works near my neck of the woods where we compete with people that will do 3 bed semis for £6 or £7 and knows all the 8ns and outs. He has also helped many of us with his technical knowledge.
Thos job pays very well for those that manage to become established. Unfortunately there are many that don't get there, and they don't for many reasons.

One of the biggest problems newbies face is people claiming to make £300 a day, every day, working 9-3. To do this you have either been established for many years or have found a pocket with no window cleaners. Do not put yourself under pressure thinking you'll be one of these.
@spruce works near my neck of the woods where we compete with people that will do 3 bed semis for £6 or £7 and knows all the 8ns and outs. He has also helped many of us with his technical knowledge.
Thos job pays very well for those that manage to become established. Unfortunately there are many that don't get there, and they don't for many reasons.
I understand that and am prepared not to make that for a while

What sort of reasons do people not get there?

I think people think gaining customers is easy, so they think they will be earning decent money within a couple of months. Also doing first cleans will take twice as long as a maintenance clean so at the beginning you will be working a lot for very little money.
There is a great thread on here, I think it's called something like upto 50 customers (Upto 50 customers) . It's a few years old but quite a good read. I think @HWCS started trad and quickly switched to wfp, and upped his prices fairly quickly. On the flip side there are probably 2 'new starter'/'thinking of becoming a windy' threads every week, most end up with single digit post counts and don't come back after a few days! Don't take that the wrong way, as people on here are megga helpful but have a search for stuff first then ask. I have only been going for 2 years (2 years this week I think) and I only use leaflets, plus I do have a website. I'm not full yet and I'm not aiming at earning much really as I don't have a mortgage and have low outgoings. So it does take a long time to build up a decent round and get good customers - you will get messers who will say they want regular cleaning but only want a one off or just wont pay!

I am not trying to put you off, I don't think anyone on here would, but trying to ensure you have a good overview of startup.

There's already about 10 million window cleaners, most people will have lived in there current home for years, this usually means they have a window cleaner, in 99% of these cases it doesn't matter what you offer as they won't cancel the current one even if there not happy with the current one they just stick with them.

Latest Posts

Back