Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Canvassing works!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Captnbruno

Just thought I’d spread some positivity tonight as I’ve always had a negative mentality towards canvassing, I’ve been in the game for about 5 years and I’ve always found myself working for others at a percentage etc, due to a change in circumstance my workloads dropped and I’ve been having to go out myself and find the work ( got to put food on the table somehow)

I can’t say that much because I’ve literally done it for about 4 days, 2 solid days and 2 days inbetween regular jobs, and I’ve have some really positive out comes, mind you it’s about 3/4 per day but I think it’s a good conversion rate, still not enough to go completely on my own but I’m hoping i can halfway through the year.

Another thing to note is that I keep it short and simple and then I’m on my way, I only leave a card if they’ve let me quote or if the house seems more on the “ I need a clean side” nonetheless I don’t miss a door. Yes it is nerve racking but if you’re thinking about it, go for it!

Just thought I’d spread some positivity tonight as I’ve always had a negative mentality towards canvassing, I’ve been in the game for about 5 years and I’ve always found myself working for others at a percentage etc, due to a change in circumstance my workloads dropped and I’ve been having to go out myself and find the work ( got to put food on the table somehow)

I can’t say that much because I’ve literally done it for about 4 days, 2 solid days and 2 days inbetween regular jobs, and I’ve have some really positive out comes, mind you it’s about 3/4 per day but I think it’s a good conversion rate, still not enough to go completely on my own but I’m hoping i can halfway through the year.

Another thing to note is that I keep it short and simple and then I’m on my way, I only leave a card if they’ve let me quote or if the house seems more on the “ I need a clean side” nonetheless I don’t miss a door. Yes it is nerve racking but if you’re thinking about it, go for it!
Always leave a card no matter what the house looks like. I've had people call me who are in the process of renovating the house and it's not immediately obvious, I then get a call six months to a year later from the card I've left asking for a quote and when I get there the house is unrecognisable compared to what it was.

Also, even if they have a window cleaner, things can go wrong, they might decide to pack it in. There's a fair few people who will keep your card to one side should they need you in the future.

For the price of 1.5p or whatever they cost, just leave your card. Don't try and make judgements about who might 'want' a window cleaner. I've picked up jobs where their windows are absolutely gleaming, they didn't have a window cleaner and did their own but were tired of doing them themselves so got me to do it.

Use your existing customer base to work for you.
"I'm looking to expand my customer base in the area, and am asking if any of your family and friends living nearby could benefit from my services?"

Also look for add-ons with your current customers. Fascia and gutter clear and cleans, conservatory roof cleans are add-ons you could program annually.

We often used to clean a small section of gutter, soffit and fascia to show them the results you will achieve.

You might get a new customer in an area you haven't worked before. Once completed, knock the neighbours. We gained groups of 3 or 4 houses by doing this.

Use your existing customer base to work for you.
"I'm looking to expand my customer base in the area, and am asking if any of your family and friends living nearby could benefit from my services?"

Also look for add-ons with your current customers. Fascia and gutter clear and cleans, conservatory roof cleans are add-ons you could program annually.

We often used to clean a small section of gutter, soffit and fascia to show them the results you will achieve.

You might get a new customer in an area you haven't worked before. Once completed, knock the neighbours. We gained groups of 3 or 4 houses by doing this.
Thanks I’ll be sure to start doing that!

Always leave a card no matter what the house looks like. I've had people call me who are in the process of renovating the house and it's not immediately obvious, I then get a call six months to a year later from the card I've left asking for a quote and when I get there the house is unrecognisable compared to what it was.

Also, even if they have a window cleaner, things can go wrong, they might decide to pack it in. There's a fair few people who will keep your card to one side should they need you in the future.

For the price of 1.5p or whatever they cost, just leave your card. Don't try and make judgements about who might 'want' a window cleaner. I've picked up jobs where their windows are absolutely gleaming, they didn't have a window cleaner and did their own but were tired of doing them themselves so got me to do it.
Thats a good point it has happened before too so I know thats true, thanks!

Do you do that in person on on an email/invoice etc? The vast majority of my customers I never see after the quote.

Do you do that in person on on an email/invoice etc? The vast majority of my customers I never see after the quote.

Always in person. I honestly believe that you are selling yourself when offering any service, so you need to see their reaction and get a commitment.
We also try to get the first clean agreement on the doorstep. We offer to do the clean while we are there.

When we give a price and the customer wants to think about it, I want to investigate their concerns further then and there. It's usually down to money, and hopefully I can answer their concerns which can be negotiated. For example: a longer period between cleans at a slightly higher price reduces their annual window cleaning bill.

Maybe they are also wasting my time trying to get a better window cleaning price than they are already paying. Middlesbrough is full of those types of people and I need to weed them out and not waste any further time on them.

In the motor trade, a customer who wanted to go away to think about it, never came back.

Just message me a quote is another waste of my time. The quote is £x every 6 weeks weather depending. Period. If they insist, I don't bother. They've got a verbal quotation.

Always in person. I honestly believe that you are selling yourself when offering any service, so you need to see their reaction and get a commitment.
We also try to get the first clean agreement on the doorstep. We offer to do the clean while we are there.

When we give a price and the customer wants to think about it, I want to investigate their concerns further then and there. It's usually down to money, and hopefully I can answer their concerns which can be negotiated. For example: a longer period between cleans at a slightly higher price reduces their annual window cleaning bill.

Maybe they are also wasting my time trying to get a better window cleaning price than they are already paying. Middlesbrough is full of those types of people and I need to weed them out and not waste any further time on them.

In the motor trade, a customer who wanted to go away to think about it, never came back.

Just message me a quote is another waste of my time. The quote is £x every 6 weeks weather depending. Period. If they insist, I don't bother. They've got a verbal quotation.
Never understood how window cleaners can give quotes I give estimates you can't tell how long it will take to do the job I did 2 new jobs on one day one took an hour one took 2 hours.

Latest Posts

Back