Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

CLX 18 V SLX 18

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Nick Mitton

Hi, I know the SLX is overall the better pole but when it comes to an 18ft pole is it £75+vat better? 

I currently use a CLX 22,had it a year and been fine with it. Looks like I don't need the length 98%of the time so thinking of investing in an 18ft.

Hi, I know the SLX is overall the better pole but when it comes to an 18ft pole is it £75+vat better? 

I currently use a CLX 22,had it a year and been fine with it. Looks like I don't need the length 98%of the time so thinking of investing in an 18ft.
I go with @Part Timer. I would also add an SLX27 base section to your SLX22 with a longer length of pole hose and you will now ensure you have further higher window coverage. We have numerous estates with 3 story (main bedroom in the loft space) where my SLX22 just didn't reach. My SLX27 will reach. 

I used a CLX27 for years, most underrated pole out there. Probably would still be using one if we didn't have as many jobs where we need a 35' pole. I'd buy one for the fact it's cheaper, doesn't need maintenance and you won't get black hands. 
The clx is a very good pole I have a 27 for  a spraying lance , wouldn’t want to clean windows with it though at that length I feel they are to whippy the shorter ones are better and last well and agree about the black hands ????? .

Don’t know why they’re chatting about 27’ poles ??‍♂️
SLX is a decent upgrade over the CLX. I personally would buy a 22 slx, you’ll save a good bit of weight, and gain increased rigidity over the clx.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ova8 22 

I have a CLX18 and an SLX27, I would say the CLX18 is good and wont be quite as flexible as your CLX22 although it will have same first sections so will probably not a huge difference. The SLX is 90 grams lighter and stiffer but unless you are getting tiered arms at the end of the day I'm not sure 90 gms will make much difference. 

I use my CLX for most of my work but there the odd house where reaching over an extension or conny the slx27 is required, so maybe spend the £75 on an extension for your CLX22 to enable you to reach a bit more if necessary? I do also have a CLX8 with is a great little pole for bungalows and tight access. I have a couple of days that are just bungalows and with the little CLX8 the day flies by. 

You know your round and how fit you are, but I would be inclined to save the £75 and go CLX18. 

I go with @Part Timer. I would also add an SLX27 base section to your SLX22 with a longer length of pole hose and you will now ensure you have further higher window coverage. We have numerous estates with 3 story (main bedroom in the loft space) where my SLX22 just didn't reach. My SLX27 will reach. 
Sorry. I misread your initial post @Nick Mitton

I'll crawl back under my rock now!

I used an SL-X18 for ten years, it's a real workhorse of a pole and less flexible than a CL-X, yes I think it's worth it, it's a really good value pole.

On the other hand I am now using an Extreme 18 which is lighter and stiffer than an SL-X, but quite a lot more expensive.

Horses for courses as they say.

Thanks for all your comments, as usual I can always rely on someone saying its been asked before and the group going off on a tangent ???

Maybe I should have made it more clear.... I've been cleaning windows for over 30 years, my round is the size I want it maybe a little too big, I only have 6 homes that require a 22ft pole the rest can be done with an 18ft. I don't get achy arms using a CLX 22 all day 3 days a week, I know to SLX range is better than the CLX but in an 18ft is it worth the extra £75+vat to save 90lbs in weight? 

Think I got my answer, will probably get a CLX 18 unless someone knows a good reason not too? 

Thanks for all your comments, as usual I can always rely on someone saying its been asked before and the group going off on a tangent ???

Maybe I should have made it more clear.... I've been cleaning windows for over 30 years, my round is the size I want it maybe a little too big, I only have 6 homes that require a 22ft pole the rest can be done with an 18ft. I don't get achy arms using a CLX 22 all day 3 days a week, I know to SLX range is better than the CLX but in an 18ft is it worth the extra £75+vat to save 90lbs in weight? 

Think I got my answer, will probably get a CLX 18 unless someone knows a good reason not too? 
Go for the CLX, ignore the pole snobs advice as anyone that can't swing any 18' pole all day isn't a proper windy ? 

I will just leave you with this thought, 'work smarter, not harder'. ?
Agreed if using a proper pole but when you're using a toothpick your brush weight is more important. The CLX is 90 gms heavier then the SLX and you don't need to maintain it anywhere near as much and don't get black hands. If he was after advice for a 35' pole I'd be advising an Xtreme rather than a SLX 

Agreed if using a proper pole but when you're using a toothpick your brush weight is more important. The CLX is 90 gms heavier then the SLX and you don't need to maintain it anywhere near as much and don't get black hands. If he was after advice for a 35' pole I'd be advising an Xtreme rather than a SLX 
I agree with this although I use an extream 22 as my everyday pole , the CLX is a nice pole but a bit whippy for plastic cleans for my liking , but apart from that they are a good pole last well 

Ive always used a slx 18 for 98% of my stuff, and its v good apart from the black hands when its worn in, i cant comment on the clx 18, BUT if money was tight i would go for the clx 50/50 carbon/glass fibre mix all day long. It also depends on what brush head you use, i use a heavy brush so the slx is a minimum for me, but if you use the gardiners brush, the clx would probably be ok anyway. For my small % of high stuff, i use a old slx 18 with 3 bottom clx sections, making it around 31ft. Its right bendy at that height, but i dont do that many jobs with it, for it to be to much of a problem.

Yep thats my school of thought to. I have the shortest clx and absolutely love the fact that it is maintenance free

Latest Posts

Back