Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Random van essentials

WCF

Help Support WCF:

TolishAPurd

So we all have our preferences for tools etc, but what about the random non window stuff we carry that can make a day on the job go a lot easier? Heres some things I carry that might help you, and hopefully I can gleam some ideas from you guys.

Large bulldog clip- For reciepts. Smaller and easier then using a folder and if you always put the new one on the top, they will stay in order.

Post it notes- Very useful for leaving notes for customers and the like.

Stash of pens- The more the merrier as they dry out. Quotes and everything else you use a pen for.

Notepads- Useful for quotes, and also I have a ringbound one that I use just for traffic wardens..."Window cleaning at #34 front and back".

Mints- When meeting a customer its good to freshen up. Altoids are my favourites.

Deodorant- I often quote when all the work is done, and after a hard working day I don't want to meet a customer stinking, so a quick 'shower in a can' is useful.

Toilet paper- You just never know when you might need it.

3in1 Oil (spray)- Use this on the ladder brackets every few days and it will save you a lot of time...they will spin quickly. Avoid WD40 as it is **** on moving parts as it gunks up.

First aid kit- Essential. Get a 1-10 person hse compliant one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-10-Person-HSE-First-Aid-Workplace-Kit-CE-Marked-/121483019019?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c48f3c30b It comes with a selection of plasters in it but stock up on a box of super strong ones and stick them in it as theres not that many and they are the most common used item. Stick a set of tweezers in there too for splinters.

Gerber/Leatherman multitool (plier style)- Worth keeping in the van if you for all the little emergency repairs, tinkering, bottle opening, etc.

...or even better

Tool kit- The most simplest of tool kits can get you out of trouble, and may even earn you money if you get asked for a quick canyoujust. Tool box, hammer, stanley knife, multibit screwdriver, flat pry bar, adjustable spanner, pump pliers, mole grips, putty knife, caulk gun, 19mm wood chisel, roll of duck tape, and an 18v battery hammer drill ....and you have the makings of a great tool kit for most jobs.

Glue- For when you get a visit from frank... Get a few different types and learn when and how to use them. Gorilla glue, UHU, and super glue should help you with most problems that arise. Glues like gripfill are great, but tubes have a tendancy to burst inside your van on a hot day so I don't recommend it ...I speak from experience. :rolleyes:

Bike lock- Some of the gear we use can like pressure washers etc can be expensive, and its not always practical to load things back into the van when you go to lunch. So to keep the opportunist thief away, I lock my pressure washer up, or sometimes I just lock it to the bottom of my ladder, so it will make a lot of noise if they try half inching it. Still make sure its in the back garden though as its just an extra measure, not something to be relyed on. The best prevention is to stop them seeing it in the first place.

I'm sure there are more I have missed, but hopefully this will give some folk/noobs some ideas.:thumbsup:

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
er frank er I mean I like to carry them plastic tie straps..

it never ceases to amaze me how much stuff I have in my car...

sorted my box out at xmas and took out the one thing I needed a new hozelock tap connector as frank snapped a customers..

plastic shoe covers

spare water pump /emoticons/tongue.png

spare controller

spare hoselock fittings

spare o clips

spare shirt and trousers lol

spare squeeze rubber

yeh peter r forgot about the clothes business...

winter coat still in there..hat and scarf still in there.,...and worryingly recently used...

and not taking my tuffers gloves out either often need them..

and of course...shorts....as you never know when summer may make its one day appearance..:rofl:

smurfy always carries a spare pair of man pants...:rofl:

Defo lynx for same reason, plus the missis will use all mine if it's left I the house. It's the one thing I have that's is 'mine' and not the whole family's ;-) it's not about price it's about principle ....., thinking of putting my toothpaste in the van too :-D

And yes I've got an abundance of pens!! It's like when I used to smoke everyone used to pinch my lighter ...... Now the tables have turned and I'm the thief....... The thief of pens haha!

That has got me thinking as a pull down bed for me naps might come in handy :rolleyes:

So we all have our preferences for tools etc, but what about the random non window stuff we carry that can make a day on the job go a lot easier? Heres some things I carry that might help you, and hopefully I can gleam some ideas from you guys.
Large bulldog clip- For reciepts. Smaller and easier then using a folder and if you always put the new one on the top, they will stay in order.

Post it notes- Very useful for leaving notes for customers and the like.

Stash of pens- The more the merrier as they dry out. Quotes and everything else you use a pen for.

Notepads- Useful for quotes, and also I have a ringbound one that I use just for traffic wardens..."Window cleaning at #34 front and back".

Mints- When meeting a customer its good to freshen up. Altoids are my favourites.

Deodorant- I often quote when all the work is done, and after a hard working day I don't want to meet a customer stinking, so a quick 'shower in a can' is useful.

Toilet paper- You just never know when you might need it.

3in1 Oil (spray)- Use this on the ladder brackets every few days and it will save you a lot of time...they will spin quickly. Avoid WD40 as it is **** on moving parts as it gunks up.

First aid kit- Essential. Get a 1-10 person hse compliant one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-10-Person-HSE-First-Aid-Workplace-Kit-CE-Marked-/121483019019?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c48f3c30b It comes with a selection of plasters in it but stock up on a box of super strong ones and stick them in it as theres not that many and they are the most common used item. Stick a set of tweezers in there too for splinters.

Gerber/Leatherman multitool (plier style)- Worth keeping in the van if you for all the little emergency repairs, tinkering, bottle opening, etc.

...or even better

Tool kit- The most simplest of tool kits can get you out of trouble, and may even earn you money if you get asked for a quick canyoujust. Tool box, hammer, stanley knife, multibit screwdriver, flat pry bar, adjustable spanner, pump pliers, mole grips, putty knife, caulk gun, 19mm wood chisel, roll of duck tape, and an 18v battery hammer drill ....and you have the makings of a great tool kit for most jobs.

Glue- For when you get a visit from frank... Get a few different types and learn when and how to use them. Gorilla glue, UHU, and super glue should help you with most problems that arise. Glues like gripfill are great, but tubes have a tendancy to burst inside your van on a hot day so I don't recommend it ...I speak from experience. :rolleyes:

Bike lock- Some of the gear we use can like pressure washers etc can be expensive, and its not always practical to load things back into the van when you go to lunch. So to keep the opportunist thief away, I lock my pressure washer up, or sometimes I just lock it to the bottom of my ladder, so it will make a lot of noise if they try half inching it. Still make sure its in the back garden though as its just an extra measure, not something to be relyed on. The best prevention is to stop them seeing it in the first place.

I'm sure there are more I have missed, but hopefully this will give some folk/noobs some ideas.:thumbsup:

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Smurf why not just use a campervan as your work vehicle with a 25l drum on your front seat to appropriately balance out the work / nap ratio /emoticons/biggrin.png

this a really good thread tolish . informative .

iv often thought that if i was workin solo id rig up a **** tube that exited thru van floor so can pee when drivin along.

i posted about this novel idea on the trucknet forum where i lead a sourdough life fakin im a trucker. the idea was scoffed at by the regulars ,--- "how lazy can u be??". but its a true timesaver, that 10minute pee stop adds up over the months ,probably a week saved in total over a year means im always bang on time to do my drops at Lidl

Last edited:
I've got a crate in back with duck tape, wipes, bin bags, plastic bags, small tool kit, water proof over trousers, glove selection, cable ties, bungee straps, towels and cloths.

Why wait till you work on your own BC? I'm sure a French crew wouldn't, (I used to enjoy EuroTrash /emoticons/biggrin.png, I know what they get up to on the continent)

Haha daveyboy you fake being a trucker, I mean most people pretend they are an astronaut, fighter pilot, secret agent or something 'cool', not a truckie :rofl:

As I do carpentry aswell as window cleaning my vans already full of other useful bits, but I guess I would say disposible gloves, overshoes and a dustpan and brush would be the 3 things I'd say would be most useful to a windy.

I never realised how cheap those shoe covers are. I'll definitely pick some up.

And I'll get on with my **** tube design too,great idea:D

I never realised how cheap those shoe covers are. I'll definitely pick some up.
And I'll get on with my **** tube design too,great idea:D
Yeah eBay them, I got a pack of 100 for £2.50 a while back, should last me a year...

beat me to it jim root with duck tape...and funny enough...I bloomin needed it this morning..

I found I had two duck tapes in the car so took out the bigger one...

and today when I came to use the roll I had left in it bloomin let me down as it only had an inch on it the rest was all stuck to the cardboard backing...

ahhh but what did cheapie need it for..was it a frank moment....?

nope....I needed my little step ladders for inside and on inspection two rubber feet had disappeared to be replaced with caked in mud..

and the cleaners inside are visicious...

so I scraped out all the mud and thought what can I do and then thought duck tape....

so was really ****** off when I only got an inch to do one leg...grrrrrrr

so I stuffed the cardboard tube inside the other leg...

and of I went to face the very er not er pretty cleaners..:eek:.well cheapie wouldnt want to upset them anyway.../emoticons/biggrin.png

was that duck tape or quack tape from Lidl /emoticons/biggrin.png

Good improv! Improvising should be in the job spec that's for sure.

Latest Posts

Back