Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

D.I.Y Electric hose reel conversion for less than £50

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Just a thought, our motors are rated at 13.5 amps at 24v, does that mean while using a 12v battery setup it’s running 27 amps? @spruce

Just a thought, our motors are rated at 13.5 amps at 24v, does that mean while using a 12v battery setup it’s running 27 amps? @spruce

Waterworks supply their hose reels with 30 amp fuses I'm told. A 350 watt 24v motor will draw 15 amps with a 24v power source. This fuse rating by Waterworks seems to indicate that it will draw twice the current.

A 24v motor has half the speed when powered by 12v, half the torque but I have often wondered if it consumes twice the current. According to Ohms law it doesn't if the resistance is the same in the windings, however I can't help but thinking that at lower voltage there will be less current flow because of the internal resistance of the motor. In my 350 watt motor example, the motor is rated at 350 watt at 24 volts. It won't be rated at 350 watts when driven with 12v - I would say it would be half so 175 watt.

So I just don't know TBH. I have looked for an answer on the Internet but after searching twice (today and about a year ago), I haven't found a conclusive answer. BTW the ohm's law calculator says it will consume half the current (amps) but then why would Waterworks include a 30 amp fuse?

What you could do is try it with a 15 amp fuse and see if it blows when you have it all assembled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Waterworks supply their hose reels with 30 amp fuses I'm told. A 350 watt 24v motor will draw 15 amps with a 24v power source. This fuse rating by Waterworks seems to indicate that it will draw twice the current.

A 24v motor has half the speed when powered by 12v, half the torque but I have often wondered if it consumes twice the current. According to Ohms law it doesn't if the resistance is the same in the windings, however I can't help but thinking that at lower voltage there will be less current flow because of the internal resistance of the motor. In my 350 watt motor example, the motor is rated at 350 watt at 24 volts. It won't be rated at 350 watts when driven with 12v - I would say it would be half so 175 watt.

So I just don't know TBH. I have looked for an answer on the Internet but after searching twice (today and about a year ago), I haven't found a conclusive answer. BTW the ohm's law calculator says it will consume half the current (amps) but then why would Waterworks include a 30 amp fuse?

What you could do is try it with a 15 amp fuse and see if it blows when you have it all assembled.
If they’re using a 30amp fuse then the cables must be big

Last edited:
How about using a windscreen wiper motor ? 

A windscreen wiper motor gets its power through a tiny gear on the armature/rotor onto a big gear which drives the wiper mechanism. This 'worm gear' reduces the speed of the motor by around 50 times and increases the torque of the motor by up to 50 times as well. So a windscreen motor itself isn't very powerful. It gets its power (torque) from its gearing.

Your problem is that the worm gear inside the wiper motor works well when the motor has current applied to it. It will create a problem when you are trying to pull your hose off the hose reel. It will 'lock' unless you can fit a free wheeling sprocket - eg a bicycle rear sprocket. You won't be able to operate your wipers by moving the wiper arms on your car. Chances are you will break the mechanism before the motor turns.

It the same with the electric motor that operates your power window of your car/van. To operate the windows the motor must turn each way - one for up and the other down. How easy is it to force a window down without powering the motor?

If they’re using a 30amp fuse then the cables must be big

Yes. But 30 amp cabling over a relatively short distance isn't that big. Its 2.5mm. Come to think of it, I'm sure that Squeeky Clean Dave did a video on building an electric hose reel and he under advised on cable size. Found it. See what he says from 8.30 onwards.

Having trouble sourcing a sprocket for my diy reel any links or online shops for recommendations. I’m converting the exact same reel as in the above video.

cheers

Having trouble sourcing a sprocket for my diy reel any links or online shops for recommendations. I’m converting the exact same reel as in the above video.

cheers
On eBay, there's only one ideal one but it's in China with delivery being potentially up to the end of march and £8.24. (item number 112188396059)

Amazon has the same one but more expensive and delivery is the same.

I bought this one:

Screenshot_20190303-114433.png

Not ideal as the central hole is 1mm smaller than the spindle diameter. It took about 15 mins with a rounded file to get it to the right size so can be used if no better one comes up.

The original one from PetrolScooter is still out of stock, though they said in an email that they will get more stock in eventually.

On eBay, there's only one ideal one but it's in China with delivery being potentially up to the end of march and £8.24. (item number 112188396059)

Amazon has the same one but more expensive and delivery is the same.

I bought this one:

View attachment 15853

Not ideal as the central hole is 1mm smaller than the spindle diameter. It took about 15 mins with a rounded file to get it to the right size so can be used if no better one comes up.

The original one from PetrolScooter is still out of stock, though they said in an email that they will get more stock in eventually.
Torn weather to get this or see if petrolscooter get the other one back in as I prefer the four predrilled holes.

cheers @Skxawng

It's a pity Waterworks don't sell their custom sprocket with the correct hole spacing seperately, as that would make things easier not having to drill holes either. If they did though, I don't know how much they'd charge. They don't sell the kit to upgrade your HS120 reel (clover/petal type) anymore but when they did it was £238 and you don't seem to get much for the money:

powerup_add_on_pack.jpg

It's a pity Waterworks don't sell their custom sprocket with the correct hole spacing seperately, as that would make things easier not having to drill holes either. If they did though, I don't know how much they'd charge. They don't sell the kit to upgrade your HS120 reel (clover/petal type) anymore but when they did it was £238 and you don't seem to get much for the money:

View attachment 15854
That’s crazy mark up for just that. In the wrong buisness!

I bought this one: 

Screenshot_20190308-083336.png

It's long enough to go behind the hose reel. If you want it to go under the reel like the waterworks one then you'll need a shorter chain. This one comes with a split link so you can shorten it yourself.

I bought this one: 

View attachment 15894

It's long enough to go behind the hose reel. If you want it to go under the reel like the waterworks one then you'll need a shorter chain. This one comes with a split link so you can shorten it yourself.
200.gif

https://youtu.be/d8SFoBMYEw8

My second attempt at an automatic winder so I don't have to guide it on by hand. Which is handy as I have a remote so I can wind it in while walking back to the van without it getting tangled. Gonna try it out tomorrow and see how it goes in practice.

IMG_20190804_211502.jpg

IMG_20190804_211525.jpg

IMG_20190804_211511.jpg

The black rollers I find, aren't particularly good as they don't have bearings so have a lot of friction with the 90° bend. So I've made my own rollers using wardrobe rail end brackets, 6000rs bearings and the rollers from the common garden hose guides.

Ive seen some D.I.Y contraptions in my time, but that is by far the best 
Thanks ? It doesn't exactly scream sophistication ? but it's the best I could do on a very tight budget and little free time, plus it's a lot more fun than window cleaning!

I'm wrestling with a better way to route the hose out of the van at the moment...

IMG_20190806_183530.jpg

Back