Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Di Vessel - fill with pure or tap water?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Chris34

Just watched a gardiners video and they stated that you fill the vessel with the resin to 3/4 and then fill it up with pure water.  Is there any reason for filling it with pure water rather than tap water?  I don't have any pure water to fill the vessel up with, I can purchase it locally but it's going to cost me £5 and I can't see any reason why it would need to be filled with pure water?

I think it'd to help improve the life of the resin, if your TDs is high using tap water would mean that you'd hammer the resin and reduce life. My TDs is in the 70s, I use tap and it's fine, I'd imaging if it was in the 300s it would be half spent before you start producing pure.

As above don't see the point if your tap water tds ain't that high if you are running an R/O and di then just fill the di vessel with water from the R/O and it will be fine. 

Just watched a gardiners video and they stated that you fill the vessel with the resin to 3/4 and then fill it up with pure water.  Is there any reason for filling it with pure water rather than tap water?  I don't have any pure water to fill the vessel up with, I can purchase it locally but it's going to cost me £5 and I can't see any reason why it would need to be filled with pure water?
Don't worry about it, just fill it with tap water. I had the same thought when I started. As the guys say above it is just to preserve the life of the resin.

Cool, cheers guys, I didn't think it would be a problem but it just threw me a bit, I thought I might have overlooked something.  My TDS is 65 to 70 so all is good.  Now to start making pure and get this baby going.  

How strange, I was about to ask this very same question. 

My TDS is 179, I am going to use 2 Di vessel's, to bring the TDS down 

I was also thinking of using a water butt to havest the rain water 

I filled mine up earlier today with the resin (which looks like gold dust, ha ha) and tap water.  I measured the TDS and it was 60.  I was sceptical that it would work straight away, I thought that there must be a waiting period to allow the resin to work, anyway I put the water flow through and immediately took a sample and it was '0' , It's magic.  Almost set up now and will hopefully be doing my first clean tomorrow.

As @Part Timer says an Ro would be a wise investment, this summer just gone my tds went up from around the 50/60  mark to 140+ and i was going through it almost weekly , im going to buy an Ro myself just for these hot dry summers im praying we have every year ?

How strange, I was about to ask this very same question. 

My TDS is 179, I am going to use 2 Di vessel's, to bring the TDS down 

I was also thinking of using a water butt to havest the rain water 
thats way too high for using DI only mate......if you must then you dont use twin DI vessels until the single vessel tds starts to creep up then you put another one in front of it (going into your tank)to get the most out of your resin until the original one reaches your tap tds....then discard and the process starts all over again......

Agree with the other lads with a tap tds of 60-70ppm it is too high for just a di you will have to only fill your containers with a low flow from the tap otherwise you will eat through it in no time at all, If you have a van tank then I would suggest filling your van tank with tap water and putting the di in the van, but long term you will need an R/O otherwise you will spend £100's a year just on resin. 

Agree with the other lads with a tap tds of 60-70ppm it is too high for just a di you will have to only fill your containers with a low flow from the tap otherwise you will eat through it in no time at all, If you have a van tank then I would suggest filling your van tank with tap water and putting the di in the van, but long term you will need an R/O otherwise you will spend £100's a year just on resin. 
his tds is 179 NOT 60-70!!EVEN WORSE!itll cost him a lot more in resin......by the way its a myth that running water through resin slowly makes the resin last longer,from my own experiments its not made a difference at all.......it still lasts the same amount of time either way....

his tds is 179 NOT 60-70!!EVEN WORSE!itll cost him a lot more in resin......by the way its a myth that running water through resin slowly makes the resin last longer,from my own experiments its not made a difference at all.......it still lasts the same amount of time either way....
I was replying to the original post and totally  @Iain jones reply ? who definitely needs an R/O  

Is any one from the Staffordshire area on here to test there as I tested mine out the top and it's showing over 300ppm

Last edited by a moderator:
I have managed to get my TDS down to 0 from a TDS of 179 via 2 DI vessel's. 

With just 1 vessel got it down to TDS of 10 but adding the 2nd vessel got it down 0

I used pure water in both vessel's and not tap 

With just 1 vessel got it down to TDS of 10 but adding the 2nd vessel got it down 0

There is doubt you will get a reading off 000ppm but you will go through resin in no time at all, depending on how much water you are processing each day https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/Resin_Calculator.htm not sure what you are using but using this calculator and I assumed you had two 7 litre di vessels and used 4000 litres a month you would spend £104.15 a month on resin better off with a R/O 

Last edited by a moderator:
but you will go through resin in no time at all,
To give an idea, I experimented with this and a small 700ml resin bottle. Water here is about 430TDS. Hooking it up to the hose to wash the car it started at about 25TDS. By the time I had finished (maybe 30-40litres??) the resin had no effect on the TDS! Back up to 400 odd. Going on that ratio, you'll need to refill your DI vessel about every or every second tank, thats what I'd call pricey :1f602:

my tap tds is 024 at the moment but its usually 029,very low indeed and i use roughly three 25kg resin bags a year and purify around 2000L a week most weeks of the year...£270 a year.....you will use a hell of a lot more if you stay DI only,youll be changing your resin every week......

I’m having this problem now mine is between 5-10 with one vessel so I have ordered another vessel and hope it brings it down to 0.

It doesn’t last longer in theory but what you will find is that as the resin starts to get a bit old the faster you pump it through it doesn’t do it’s job properly and you will find your TDS not at 0 anymore where as if you slow your pressure down it can work it’s magic again and you will have 0 TDS again. 

Back