Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Family and friends

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Davidpatrick1978

Hi guys went out cleaning for family and friends yesterday did around 5 cleans when I said how much which I already told them a while ago there were that’s a lot our old window cleaner use to only charge £5 ( this is 2021 ) I’ve just spent 10 grand on van and full system and need to feed 2 kids and Morgage etc I said the going rate for wfp for terrace is £8-£10 semi £10-£15 and detached from £12-£20 other friends said when I said £18 first clean then £14 a month they couldn’t understand why they looked puzzled and there windows were so bad round the front took best part of half an hour like I said they may be friends and family but I’m new hungry and I’m a business not a charity what do you guys think mrs said just stick to strangers door knocking etc 

Hi guys went out cleaning for family and friends yesterday did around 5 cleans when I said how much which I already told them a while ago there were that’s a lot our old window cleaner use to only charge £5 ( this is 2021 ) I’ve just spent 10 grand on van and full system and need to feed 2 kids and Morgage etc I said the going rate for wfp for terrace is £8-£10 semi £10-£15 and detached from £12-£20 other friends said when I said £18 first clean then £14 a month they couldn’t understand why they looked puzzled and there windows were so bad round the front took best part of half an hour like I said they may be friends and family but I’m new hungry and I’m a business not a charity what do you guys think mrs said just stick to strangers door knocking etc 
Aye, been there when I started up 4 years ago. Quickly realised that it's easier to reduce prices than raise them. I went in to cheap and regretted it because I was working for peanuts. After a year I was going to give up of raise prices. I raised prices and haven't looked back. Too many good customers now to arm wrestle with new ones, they either accept the price or find someone else. Good luck

I agree with @scottish cleaning services. It's generally best to stay away from family and friends with business. They usually expect very heavily discounted mates rates and they can expect the low prices to never or rarely increase. It can get quite uncomfortable trying to make it clear that we are in business to profit, build and thrive.

I'm all for total independence and a degree of anonymity.

Family and friends are difficult as they are not real customers, they are very handy at the beginning to learn on but after that then I would be inclined to avoid them. I would be inclined to do friends and family first cleans for free just for the experience and say if you want a quote let me know. 

Stick to getting decent new customers who are willing to pay what you want to charge. I work out my charges by having a flat rate for an appointment, a fee per 'standard' window, a higher fee for large windows or difficult to reach ones. That way I should be charging correctly when comparing properties and can easily justify prices. As for first clean fees, I understand them but when starting out I haven't charged any more for a first clean even though it takes significantly longer. If the windows were very bad - green frames etc then I would include a first clean fee. 

Always easier to reduce your pricing scheme if you are getting too many saying too expensive but difficult to increase prices if your too low.

Welcome to the real world, it will take you time to find good areas and good customers. You will bump into many "my old window cleaner charged £5". I now smile and reply that's why he's your old window cleaner and he's probably stacking shelves in the local supermarket as he earns more money doing so.

Head down and battle on, with hard work you'll get there, good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
i never charge a fee for cleaning family or friends,same for a few of my neighbours which get cleaned ad hoc when my own need cleaning......

i only charge the general public.....

None of my family or friends get discount. I'm a business not a hobbyist. The more you give away the less you get back 

Be strict and firm or drop them 

My brother inlaws a butcher with his own shop, his home is a £15/17 clean i do it for £10 6wkly @ xmas my meat bill is well over £100 he charges me £30-50

My mother inlaws windows are £15 i do it for free 6wkly, she has our kids couple of times a year for the weekend and babysits 3-4 times a year for an evening.

My other Brother inlaw is no use nor ornament, i dont have time to squeeze him in 

My neighbours are £15 houses, i do them for £10 we all borrow tools, give lifts, beers in summer etc etc

Im happy to scratch a few backs that can scratch mine if needed!

Aye, been there when I started up 4 years ago. Quickly realised that it's easier to reduce prices than raise them. I went in to cheap and regretted it because I was working for peanuts. After a year I was going to give up of raise prices. I raised prices and haven't looked back. Too many good customers now to arm wrestle with new ones, they either accept the price or find someone else. Good luck
Thanks buddy 

Thanks buddy 
Your first year will be hard, I think I have only heard of one person doing well gaining customers. If you can afford to advertise in the local paper or on the internet. I spend a few grand each year on advertising. I got a customer 8 miles away and ended up picking up another 7 good paying customers. Its now happening 6 miles in the opposite direction. You only need one customer in a street and when folk see your van then you have the chance to pick up more. I joined a church forum because I do the maintenance in it. Never thought much about it but I slowly picked up most of the old folk to clean their windows and handyman stuff. Sometimes it all comes together but now I realise that I had many irons in the fire. Had to leave my van at B & Q last week because we were working in Glasgow and only took one van. Never realised how many folk saw it with all the texts I received asking if I was working in B & Q. Quickly found out the human brain doesn't like mysteries. ?

Your first year will be hard, I think I have only heard of one person doing well gaining customers. If you can afford to advertise in the local paper or on the internet. I spend a few grand each year on advertising. I got a customer 8 miles away and ended up picking up another 7 good paying customers. Its now happening 6 miles in the opposite direction. You only need one customer in a street and when folk see your van then you have the chance to pick up more. I joined a church forum because I do the maintenance in it. Never thought much about it but I slowly picked up most of the old folk to clean their windows and handyman stuff. Sometimes it all comes together but now I realise that I had many irons in the fire. Had to leave my van at B & Q last week because we were working in Glasgow and only took one van. Never realised how many folk saw it with all the texts I received asking if I was working in B & Q. Quickly found out the human brain doesn't like mysteries. ?
One of my very first customers was a walk up to the newly sign-written van outside b&q seven years ago. I only ever met her that day (she leaves the payment out the back for me) and I've been cleaning her windows since. She's been as good as gold from day one. They don't always turn out that way, as we probably all know.

One of my very first customers was a walk up to the newly sign-written van outside b&q seven years ago. I only ever met her that day (she leaves the payment out the back for me) and I've been cleaning her windows since. She's been as good as gold from day one. They don't always turn out that way, as we probably all know.
Aye, its paid for the sign writing ?, all I got was a ticket for staying more than 3hrs. ?

Family and friends? It took my wife ages and ages to understand why I charged her for cleaning our windows. It's still a touchy subject even now, so we just don't discuss it any more, and I discreetly take it out of the house keeping. The trouble with family, is they take liberties! Rant over.......

I clean mates windows at the going rate just as they charge me the going rate for any work they do at our house they don't expect mates rates and neither do I, if a barter can be done for a small job we do that best to keep business as business but only business owners know and appreciate that

Friends and family don't get it at at all and the ones that don't I don't clean, people I grew up with in the same village expected lower prices it never happened and they never liked increases they are now a distant memory

I Charge friends slightly less ask them to ask all they’re neighbours if they need a window cleaner, this tactic has done me very well

Tell them what the price should be and not tell them what they’re paying!

family generally for free but aren’t included on the monthly round and are done as and when

neighbours discount slightly as it’s convenient when filling up or flat tyre etc!!

theres no way i would charge any of my friends or family .....ever......never have,never would
I don't see any issue in charging them, a mate of mine wasn't going to fit a our new bathroom for free plus the other work he's done in our house and has done at other houses we lived in.

neighbours discount slightly as it’s convenient when filling up or flat tyre etc!!
I just charge them the same and will do a free clean if one has helped me out, one neighbour is heating engineer he came across and got our boiler back on it was a quick simple fix back in January so definitely worth a free clean.

Family and friends? It took my wife ages and ages to understand why I charged her for cleaning our windows. It's still a touchy subject even now, so we just don't discuss it any more, and I discreetly take it out of the house keeping. The trouble with family, is they take liberties! Rant over.......
So you charge yourself just to gift some of it to the taxman? ?

The issues isn’t so much doing something cheap or free as a favour as a one off, the issue is regular work at discounted or free is taking up time you could be spending at full paying customers. 
For instance, a mate of mine wanted his pvc cleaned. Wasn’t too bad, I did it on a weekend and I refused payment but he got dinner. Someone else wanted me to provide a regular clean. I declined as I knew they would expect a discount & that would take up time each month I could be spending at proper customers. 

Of course there are exceptions. Maybe the best rule is no rule. Just judge each one accordingly when they come up. 

Back