Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Fear of ladders?...

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Did anyone have a fear of ladders when they first started out? If so..how did you overcome this? Did the type of ladder make a difference at all? Do pointer ladders feel safer in your opinion? I saw a local window cleaner today on a bog standard/diy ladder, up and down without a care in the world! I was nervous for him!! I'd be grateful for any experiences/knowledge etc. apologies for all the questions...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hey wink, we use double 11s. I personally hate a frame type ladders and only use them for downs.

it is good to invest in a decent pair of ladders as you are on them most of your day.

you will get quicker and more confident the more you are on them.

a good point to watch with ladders is the plastic feet on the bottom wearing out. Change them when they start to wear.

a good pair of ladders should cost between £75-£100

I also "D" lock them to the Rhino Roof Rack at night as they will go walk abouts.

I use a pointer ladder made for the wc trade (standard ladders i wouldnt even bother), i only go as high as my ladder that 6 meters / 24 rungs.

The first months was horrible, then got the hang of it then because the pace was high in the company i worked for so no Time for BS. Once rushed too much, felt flat down on top of ladder that hurt. Was for a long time a bit scared of ladders but gained lot of confidence again so now just flying up n down.

A good tip is only look up when climbing up and down and not look down when at the windows then you will be just fine

A great tip for climbing ladders is to move the same side hand and foot while going up and down, as in right hand, right foot at the same time and then the left (sorry if that's totally dumbed down) this is the best way to reduce bounce, being a firefighter I have no fear of ladders and can get up one like a racing snake, we go at serious height and have to take a leg lock and lean as far back as possible with no hands as part of our training. Give it a try, don't want to teach anyone to suck eggs but it's the perfect way to ascend and descend a ladder. It takes a a few goes to get your brain in the right gear for it as your natural movement is left/right right/left

A great tip for climbing ladders is to move the same side hand and foot while going up and down, as in right hand, right foot at the same time and then the left (sorry if that's totally dumbed down) this is the best way to reduce bounce, being a firefighter I have no fear of ladders and can get up one like a racing snake, we go at serious height and have to take a leg lock and lean as far back as possible with no hands as part of our training. Give it a try, don't want to teach anyone to suck eggs but it's the perfect way to ascend and descend a ladder. It takes a a few goes to get your brain in the right gear for it as your natural movement is left/right right/left
Have they done away with the tunnel training now Skul ? Combatting the fear of confinement?

Have they done away with the tunnel training now Skul ? Combatting the fear of confinement?
Nah mate still there, we had a unit where it was called the rat run, some parts you had to take you tank off your back and push it through as it was too tight otherwise, even had a bit in it that was just wider than an A4 folder haha, thank god I'm a short ****!

Nah mate still there, we had a unit where it was called the rat run, some parts you had to take you tank off your back and push it through as it was too tight otherwise, even had a bit in it that was just wider than an A4 folder haha, thank god I'm a short ****!
I've had many friends in the Brigade, unfortunately, i don't drink that much anymore /emoticons/smile.png Fine lads you are sir ! Take good care big man./emoticons/wink.png

I was. You just have to be safe and go for the it. The more you do it the more the comfortable you will get.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Window Cleaning Forums

Latest Posts

Back