Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

My electric GrippaTank Reel review

WCF

Help Support WCF:

My Grippatank ones are fine now as I have the new brass block swivel connection that doesn't leak. Then Oliver fitted the new more powerful electric motors with remote control which works well and makes life a lot easier.

Never had an issue with Pure Freedom Reelmaster chain.
It looked like a really nice reel and I was very tempted, I bought mine at the cleaning show and whilst everyone offered a reasonable discount, pure freedom offered something like £15 off a very expensive reel. Grippa’s discount made it an easy decision.

Pure freedom are great engineers, not so great businessmen though.

I have the first waterworks reel, there 18months old, wouldn't rate them at all! 

Chains come off easily, and they seem slow, spindles are all twisted or bent. 

They squeak so loud! 

These reels have been looked after too! 
I have had mine since September 2019 and it's worked without issue, my only current negative is the heads on the bolts are showing signs of rust so clearly not decent or fully stainless steel other.

the disc on one side is slightly bent which meant when I bought the rubber trim for the edges of the discs it couldn't be fitted at that time the customer service was shocking and got no replies to my messages for weeks and not even an apology. I have had further dealings with Waterworks and the customer service was excellent. 

I’ve had the waterworks hd reel for 2 years and it’s been mechanically faultless. Yes if your winding in and not paying attention you can spill the hose down the side but only once have I knocked the chain off which only took a couple of mins to put back on. 

I’m tempted to buy the newer one they make but as this one never lets me down what’s the point

How long have people generally had to wait for a grippa reel after ordering? I'm currently waiting for one I have ordered

How long have people generally had to wait for a grippa reel after ordering? I'm currently waiting for one I have ordered
Give them a ring and find out I would say, as stock levels of things differ,

I needed to order hose and some other bit's last November and the had wait times on stuff I wanted so had to order my extras elsewhere but I was contacted by phone to let me know this so they could amend my online order accordingly. 

Chains are the reason I went with the grippa reel, no chain, all the others did. Mine looks and works as well as the day it was fitted.
Thanks for doing the review.

I'm looking around at electric reels and the grippa reel being chainless intrigues me.

Do you know where the motor is located on the reel and how easy it would be to replace in case it failed? 

Thanks for doing the review.

I'm looking around at electric reels and the grippa reel being chainless intrigues me.

Do you know where the motor is located on the reel and how easy it would be to replace in case it failed? 
I believe it’s located within the reel barrel, that’s held in with nuts each end so it should be easy to replace, gippatank state they are all repairable in the field so I can’t see it being too tricky. 

So the motor rotates with the drum? That sounds like a right pain maintaining good electrical connections? Plus that must be a pain to support the motor end of the drum bearing wise?
I was just wondering how the wires don't get twisted up with the rotation ?

I was just wondering how the wires don't get twisted up with the rotation ?
They could use a slip rings to provide electrical contacts but with all the moisture kicking about I would be surprised if they used that method. Does seem a strange design choice of having the motor revolve. It would be interesting to find out more about how it's constructed. 

Back