Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Flow control for water

WCF

Help Support WCF:

darryn71

Hi 

Currently have da components

Flow controller and pump 

Just over the last few weeks finding water flow is very poor 

I usually run my pump control at 35 

But had to turn controller up 50 t 55 

Just to get a good flow 

Like a decent flow as I can work quicker 

Battery is charged to full max so it's not that !

Is it down to cold weather !

Finding I am using a lot more water with higher flow 

Thanks

Most probably cold weather. Make sure the hose isn't kinked that's still on the hose reel if not fully extended 

Hi 

Currently have da components

Flow controller and pump 

Just over the last few weeks finding water flow is very poor 

I usually run my pump control at 35 

But had to turn controller up 50 t 55 

Just to get a good flow 

Like a decent flow as I can work quicker 

Battery is charged to full max so it's not that !

Is it down to cold weather !

Finding I am using a lot more water with higher flow 

Thanks
Ensure you are using a good diameter reinforced hose from your tank to pump.

Preferably not cheap 11mm Garden hose that can cave in and kink.

Also check your pump strainer and ensure all hose connectors are tight.

You can also check your flow volume easily using the method illustrated in my video 

People are saying cold weather but the temps have barely dropped in fact the are going up 11c two days this week nearly put my shorts on..

A flow of 35 is to low anyway to be cracking on with work, better to have it about 60 and you shouldn't be using more water as you should be working a decent pace, I'd be checking all jubilee clips etc are fully tightened as these can loosen of a little over time and allow some air into the system and cause issues with flow

People are saying cold weather but the temps have barely dropped in fact the are going up 11c two days this week nearly put my shorts on..

A flow of 35 is to low anyway to be cracking on with work, better to have it about 60 and you shouldn't be using more water as you should be working a decent pace, I'd be checking all jubilee clips etc are fully tightened as these can loosen of a little over time and allow some air into the system and cause issues with flow
But the temperature of the water from the tap hasn't risen much even with it being a little warmer. I was cold out working yesterday with the wind chill factor. Even my lad was complaining with his cap and gloves on.

And yes @darryn71, you are going to use more water using a higher flow. You will be rinsing quicker with a higher flow, but you will also be using more water during the washing and scrubbing phase especially if you have to attend to hardened bird strikes on the windows.

If the water is stored overnight it is regularly dropping to around zero. I personally don't recall many double digit days. -3 at 8am the other day in Cambridge. We have the same questions every year about slow R/O's and slow water.

But the temperature of the water from the tap hasn't risen much even with it being a little warmer. I was cold out working yesterday with the wind chill factor. Even my lad was complaining with his cap and gloves on.

And yes @darryn71, you are going to use more water using a higher flow. You will be rinsing quicker with a higher flow, but you will also be using more water during the washing and scrubbing phase especially if you have to attend to hardened bird strikes on the windows.
I agree it hasn't risen much at all, water temp for us in the North East of England has been around 5.6c on average despite some nights of freezing temps, it was a bit fresh yesterday with that wind but not too bad

As you know I have a 350ltr tank and in the years gone by had a nickname for the jets I used they used to IG jets which where 1.2mm pencils I could smash out 25-30 houses a day with a flow rate of 35, since using 100 degree fans I have a flow of 60 these days and still smash out the same number of houses, 

But the Author has left out some details, yet he has been a member on here since 2017 so I assume he should be able to work at a good pace like myself and any other wfper on here who has been going a while.

If the water is stored overnight it is regularly dropping to around zero. I personally don't recall many double digit days. -3 at 8am the other day in Cambridge. We have the same questions every year about slow R/O's and slow water.
That has been the case for us up here as well as you know yourself, but it's sharped warmed up on a morning and with the average cold water temp as mentioned above the last few weeks of trouble @darryn71 has been experiencing can't just be down to lower air temps overnight here and there, which is why I think it's something else 

I agree it hasn't risen much at all, water temp for us in the North East of England has been around 5.6c on average despite some nights of freezing temps, it was a bit fresh yesterday with that wind but not too bad

As you know I have a 350ltr tank and in the years gone by had a nickname for the jets I used they used to IG jets which where 1.2mm pencils I could smash out 25-30 houses a day with a flow rate of 35, since using 100 degree fans I have a flow of 60 these days and still smash out the same number of houses, 

But the Author has left out some details, yet he has been a member on here since 2017 so I assume he should be able to work at a good pace like myself and any other wfper on here who has been going a while.

That has been the case for us up here as well as you know yourself, but it's sharped warmed up on a morning and with the average cold water temp as mentioned above the last few weeks of trouble @darryn71 has been experiencing can't just be down to lower air temps overnight here and there, which is why I think it's something else 
"so I assume he should be able to work at a good pace like myself and any other wfper on here who has been going a while."

Unless you he is like me. Me son says I'm the only one he has ever seen who can slip into a coma and remain standing on his feet. When I do I tend to use a lot of water but don't do much cleaning. ?

It's been colder down south, for the last 2 weeks, then in the North. It must be easier to recalibrate first then go through checking everything. A 2 minute calibration will tell him if it's cold water or he needs to look elsewhere.

It's been colder down south, for the last 2 weeks, then in the North. It must be easier to recalibrate first then go through checking everything. A 2 minute calibration will tell him if it's cold water or he needs to look elsewhere.
It will only take an extra 2 minutes to check everything is tightened up ?

Colder down South than up North, surprised it hasn't made national news ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for late thank yous 

Had a bit of a cold on Friday 

Feeling rotten only turns out I have COVID 

Felt like shite all weekend 

So a big shout for every body's 

Advice truly apologize ?

Back