Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gardiner back pack hose fitting

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I think you need to elaborate, the hose in the pic above looks like pole hose and I have no idea what fantail fittings are, when you bought the backpack you will have had an option as to which fitting you wanted on the orange hose pre-fitted to the back pack did you select ez-snap or hozelock style fitting maybe uploading pics of your fittings will get you faster answer to resolve the issue you are having.  
If this is a photo that Tango has shared then he has purchased and selected a backpack with a Gardiner fitting fitting and it has the generic Chinese manufacturers sprayer lance trigger collar on it

Hi again Alex

Well this is what i measured yesterday:

View attachment 16002

As you can see, it kinda looks like 6mm. I can get out the calipers.. but that seems overkill. The problem I've had is that the orange pipe is literally so stiff and small that .. well.. I might as well try lifting a mountain lol.

I did try after your staff replied and haven't yet tried the boil but just before i sent my email in yesterday, this was the best i could do - and it's the same again after trying with hot (but not boiling) water:

View attachment 16003

Despite looking like it'll drop off any second, it actually seems to hold rather well like that so I'm starting to think i'll be best just leaving it like that and carrying on with life.

Yes I'll send you the email, but i must point out that i was originally advised the inner diameter of the hose pipe was 8mm - not 6ish hence my concerns because from my POV it looked like someone had made a bit of a blunder - it's certainly caused me some confusion until you cleared it up. 

Anyway half seated in the pipe it works and feels secure enough so rather than trying to break my arms again and risking a visit to A&E from boiling water, I think i might just leave it as-is. Reason being that each attempt i make see's my back pack hose grow slightly shorter by 1cm and frankly, having lost 5cm odd already, i'm not really wanting to cut it down any further! Obviously if the connector does work its way out i'll give the boil a try..

Tango
What do mean by trying not to break your arms and a trip to A&E from boiling water? I'm confused as to what you have been doing, it's a simple task as @Alex GardinerMyself and others have advised you on. 

The image of your fitting and hose is incorrect and will only cause you issues 

here is a video for you to follow and an image of how your hose and fitting should look when fitted correctly without being in A&E with broken arms and serious 1st degree burns 

20201003_113115.jpg

So its a lance sprayer fitting that comes when you choose "No fitting" From Gardiner!

Thanks APW. I have 6 and 8mm Rectus 21 Fittings.

Ill cut the existing connector off and fit the 8 mm?

Hi Pete MC

The end you have photographed is the standard thread end if using directly to a trigger or lance. For window cleaning use this can be cut off.

Then you can use a barbed fitting of your choice. The latest backpack hose is now a little smaller in ID so you can successfully use a 6mm barbed fitting with a Microbore O clip - https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/oetiker-stepless-o-clip-hose-clamp-10-3-12-8mm-microbore.html or you can use 8mm barbed fittings with the next size up clip, but you would need to heat up the hose first.

Last edited by a moderator:
So its a lance sprayer fitting that comes when you choose "No fitting" From Gardiner!

Thanks APW. I have 6 and 8mm Rectus 21 Fittings.

Ill cut the existing connector off and fit the 8 mm?
Yes that's correct. Ensure you cut the bulged piece off also and make sure you only have straight hose before adding your fitting.

Most or all Chinese backpack sprayer manufacturers add a sprayer lance and cheap Chinesium sprayer heads with the backpack hence why you have a collar fitting remaining.

Yeah it's good, functional and does the job. I had expected the pump to be noisy like a 12V car tyre pump but it's actually quiet which was a rather nice surprise. I'm pleased with my BP but fascinated by the pole - no idea why, i just find it cool.

I still need to hack my trolley a bit more to get the maximum efficiency out of it though lol. 

Some ideas I have for my trolley:

• Must remain foldable / collapsible so it can still be used for other things at short notice (plus i'm using a small car that also has a kiddy seat in the back)
  • Nothing permanently attached (except pole holder - but that can be unbolted)
  • Pole holder - complete - used 50mm gutter down pipe from B&Q - it's way cool!!! It's got a bend at the bottom to hold the pole and then i used one of my boys play-doh lids on that to stop water dripping out in unwanted places - photos to follow in DIY thread at some point.
  • Small toolbox & holder - to keep paperwork / pen / gloves / misc bits in
  • Small folding platform / clipboard holder so i can write quotes / invoices without having to try and do it on the back of my hand
  • Secondary water supply - mostly complete - done by turning the BP sideways and fitting a barrel next to it. I been mulling over putting the BP and barrel in a box / crate so they they aren't reliant on bungee cords as separate items but instead are contained as one item. Need to prowl round B&Q to see what they have..
  • Air hose reel like Den uses - again not permanently bolted on but on some sort of bracket so it's easy to remove / fit.
  •  

You reckon i could also hack one of them hot water heaters onto it somehow? lol

Need to get myself one of those uni / flow valve things too as i've been wasting water switching between windows without one. When i hit the back pack switch each time between windows i saved so much water that it convinced me i do need something at pole / hand height to stop the water.

Where in Kent are you?

EDIT some bits removed as i realised they were already covered above in this thread
When you mention water heater what are your ideas? I think you are over cooking ideas and picking information from different threads and thinking they are backpack related. 

If you want a folding sack truck then there are plenty available. 

Don't buy a £5 luggage trolley because you'll snap it in half

If you want some sound advice ask @spruceor myself 

Do not start playing with your backpack as you'll kill it. Also read up on maximum hose length when using a backpack 

When you mention water heater what are your ideas? I think you are over cooking ideas and picking information from different threads and thinking they are backpack related. 

If you want a folding sack truck then there are plenty available. 

Don't buy a £5 luggage trolley because you'll snap it in half

If you want some sound advice ask @spruceor myself 

Do not start playing with your backpack as you'll kill it. Also read up on maximum hose length when using a backpack 
If he was playing with his backpack it's well and truly destroyed now as that post is over 18 months old! ? 

I have a ez-snap/rectus fitting fail on my pole hose when I am out working or can't be bothered to boil the kettle a spray of wd40 on the barbed end and the new rectus fitting is easily fitted to hose.

If this is a photo that Tango has shared then he has purchased and selected a backpack with a Gardiner fitting fitting and it has the generic Chinese manufacturers sprayer lance trigger collar on it

Nope, that was shared by Pete MC (as it says in the quote - and the post with the image)..

If he was playing with his backpack it's well and truly destroyed now as that post is over 18 months old! ? 
Yeah must admit i'm surprised by the resurrection of this thread myself. Back pack is fine, still fully functional. Although i'm not so good with water and pipe work / tubing i'm reasonable with mechanicals and electronics.

As for the trolley that's also fine though i've taken it apart twice to make improvements to the original Clarke design. No idea why Apw is all over this thread though - Alex solved my teething problems ages ago.

I have a ez-snap/rectus fitting fail on my pole hose when I am out working or can't be bothered to boil the kettle a spray of wd40 on the barbed end and the new rectus fitting is easily fitted to hose.
Just switching my orange pole hoses over to rectus 26. Absolute b@stard to get the 6mm barb on all the way. Its passed the barbs but wont shift any further down the shaft even with hot water. Going to try your trick of WD40. Feels like it needs lubing up just to get that extra slip.

Just switching my orange pole hoses over to rectus 26. Absolute b@stard to get the 6mm barb on all the way. Its passed the barbs but wont shift any further down the shaft even with hot water. Going to try your trick of WD40. Feels like it needs lubing up just to get that extra slip.
Hot water or hot air gun and a bit of soap , wd40 , silicon spray on the barn and it will slip on easily 

Orange pole hose as an ID of 5mm so the 6mm fittings will be very tight.

We do supply these with a 5mm barb and these are easier to fit - https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/pro-26-hose-male-plug-5mm-hose-barb.html

Hot water or hot air gun and a bit of soap , wd40 , silicon spray on the barn and it will slip on easily 
You my friend are THE man! Hot air gun did it. Thanks mate.

Orange pole hose as an ID of 5mm so the 6mm fittings will be very tight.

We do supply these with a 5mm barb and these are easier to fit - https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/pro-26-hose-male-plug-5mm-hose-barb.html
Bugger - wish i would of known that. Hot air gun did the trick and seems to have kept the hose intact. Next time I shall remember that! Just out of interest- when will the Gardiner phone lines be re-opening again? email call back is great but just wondered when I can be less patient ?

Lubing up always does the trick ?

Just out of interest- when will the Gardiner phone lines be re-opening again? email call back is great but just wondered when I can be less patient ?
Hi Woody86

Good question - to be honest I do not know. This year has been manic on a scale we have never known. Managing the Customer Service Team from remote locations, tying in the IT systems access and coupled with our busiest year ever has stretched everything at a time when it is not simple to bring extra staff on board.

Whilst we have all got used to Covid -  the restrictions we are working under with our Staff and premises have not changed in the last few months. If anything we are looking at things tightening up again over the winter, if reports are to be believed.

It would be good to allow customers to leave an answer phone message again asking for a call-back and as soon as we feel this can be successfully handled we will do this.

Stick in some boiling hot water or use washing up liquid is so simple mate. A bit of manly muscle 

Same principle as a 21 fitting 

Back