Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

GARDINERS BACKPACK INVERETER CHARGING

WCF

Help Support WCF:

ppads52

has anyone charged a gardiners backpack via a 100w inverter, is it possible say from a halfords 6 in 1 power pack, which has a 100 watt inverter built in?

I've not tried it but first thing is look at the charger and see what wattage it says it is. If it's less than 100watts you should be fine.
One thing to note is how big the battery is in the power pack. i.e. the Gardiners back pack battery is 12 Amp Hr. So the one in the power pack needs to be significantly bigger as converting 12vdc to 240vac via the inverter isn't that efficient so you lose power pack Amp Hrs. Ideally I would say the power pack needs to have a 24 Amp Hr battery in it to charge the back pack.

I've not tried it but first thing is look at the charger and see what wattage it says it is. If it's less than 100watts you should be fine.
One thing to note is how big the battery is in the power pack. i.e. the Gardiners back pack battery is 12 Amp Hr. So the one in the power pack needs to be significantly bigger as converting 12vdc to 240vac via the inverter isn't that efficient so you lose power pack Amp Hrs. Ideally I would say the power pack needs to have a 24 Amp Hr battery in it to charge the back pack.
Thank you for that, I’ll do some digging now

I was thinking of getting an inverter fitted inside my van. Reason being is my 1.5Kw Festool power station gave up a cell and that's the third one in a year so I'm getting my money back. Might buy another make for charging my batteries overnight or stick with the extension lead. As I have two batteries, I was wondering about fitting two chargers so I could cut my charging time in half. Any help welcome.

I was thinking of getting an inverter fitted inside my van. Reason being is my 1.5Kw Festool power station gave up a cell and that's the third one in a year so I'm getting my money back. Might buy another make for charging my batteries overnight or stick with the extension lead. As I have two batteries, I was wondering about fitting two chargers so I could cut my charging time in half. Any help welcome.
If your batteries are connected in parallel then 2 chargers isn't a good idea. To reduce time get a charger with twice as much current output.

Personally, I would look at a basic pure sine wave inverter rather than a modified sine wave. A Gardiner backpack charger is rated at 240v 1.7amp. Our Gardener backpack charges very slowly, so I doubt that adding an inverter is going to fully charge that backpack on short journeys. However, an inverter can be left on to charge up any battery operated power tool batteries while you are busy with other things.

A 600/1200 watt inverter should be fine, but If you use a customer's electric, then I would rather use an extension cord to the van. Drawing 600 watt isn't going to power many 230 power tools, but 600 watt will consume a lot from your leisure battery.

A 600W inverter draws 50 amps running from a 12V battery. Divide the inverter watt load by the voltage and you get the amps drawn per hour. Most standard leisure batteries won't handle that. Granted, this is the inverter running at 'full throttle', so power consumption will be much less recharging a Gardener backpack. But using the inverter to power a 500 watt drill will be a 'different kettle of fish.'

Personally, I would look at a basic pure sine wave inverter rather than a modified sine wave. A Gardiner backpack charger is rated at 240v 1.7amp. Our Gardener backpack charges very slowly, so I doubt that adding an inverter is going to fully charge that backpack on short journeys. However, an inverter can be left on to charge up any battery operated power tool batteries while you are busy with other things.

A 600/1200 watt inverter should be fine, but If you use a customer's electric, then I would rather use an extension cord to the van. Drawing 600 watt isn't going to power many 230 power tools, but 600 watt will consume a lot from your leisure battery.

A 600W inverter draws 50 amps running from a 12V battery. Divide the inverter watt load by the voltage and you get the amps drawn per hour. Most standard leisure batteries won't handle that. Granted, this is the inverter running at 'full throttle', so power consumption will be much less recharging a Gardener backpack. But using the inverter to power a 500 watt drill will be a 'different kettle of fish.'
thank you, very informative

Back