Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gardiner Backpack Start Up Kit advice

WCF

Help Support WCF:

goddie182

Good afternoon everyone.
So after 26 years serving in the RAF I have always wanted a little business to call my own, and I love the idea of being a Window Cleaner and embracing everything such a challenge Offers.
I have put together a little pack on the Gardiner Backpack website and was wondering if this would be a good spec to start with. I would like to expand/grow to a van but I have to convince the wife that I can make any money first as she is a bit sceptical. Happy for any advice, I would say be gentle but you can be as brutal as you like ?

Attachments

• image001 (1).png
    image001 (1).png
    121.7 KB · Views: 29
When you say a 'little business to call my own' you do realise that being self employed is quite a difference from being employed let alone being in the services. You are responsible for everything, marketing, accounting, procurement, time management,

I would say you might be spending more on brushes than you need to.
I would say a flocked is good for leaded windows ( I do like my flocked sill brush) and the supreme you have on the pole is a great brush.
I would say to get brush bumpers and a super scraper.
I would get either an 10m extension for your pole hose (with male and female rectus 21 plus clamps) or a longer pole hose. Reason being is then you don't need to keep moving the backpack closer to each window you are cleaning, Gardiner recommends no more than 20m of extension hose on a backpack.
As for your pole, I bought a slx27 to start as it's a shorter collapsed length than a slx25 (so fits in car easier) a slx30 might be a bit heavy and long (collapsed length) as your 'daily' pole. I was not used to manual work and not as fit as I should be so I found it quite tiring using the slx27 all day, after a couple of months I bought a clx18.
Do you know the types of houses you intend to target i.e. modern or Victorian (taller).
There is a guy on youtube that served in the RAF and then became a window cleaner 'Crystal Clean Windows' he has some good info and is helpful. He does a live on youtube at about 8pm on fridays.

I assume you have a source of pure water?

Hope that gives you some info to get you thinking.

Too many brushes, we are all different but I prefer one brush only for every one of my jobs which is an Xtreme sill brush I have the flocked version but only use it on two jobs that's out of over 400 jobs.

A SLX-30 is too heavy a pole as a daily pole even when starting out I'd opt for an SLX-22 with a Number #6 extension to add as required, I'm 5ft tall and can do most of my jobs even some 3-storey modern townhouses without dormers then have a SLX-25 then add a Number #7 extension as required as that's as high as I go these days,

It can be daunting trying to work out exactly what kit you need to cover all the potential jobs, but there many more standard 2 storey houses than 3 storey houses so target those,

A 22ft pole with one extension will also enable you to reach above conservatories and most extensions

Last edited:
When you say a 'little business to call my own' you do realise that being self employed is quite a difference from being employed let alone being in the services. You are responsible for everything, marketing, accounting, procurement, time management,

I would say a flocked is good for leaded windows ( I do like my flocked sill brush) and the supreme you have on the pole is a great brush.
I would get either an 10m extension for your pole hose (with male and female rectus 21 plus clamps) or a longer pole hose. Reason being is then you don't need to keep moving the backpack closer to each window you are cleaning, Gardiner recommends no more than 20m of extension hose on a backpack.
As for your pole, I bought a slx27 to start as it's a shorter collapsed length than a slx25 (so fits in car easier) a slx30 might be a bit heavy and long (collapsed length) as your 'daily' pole. I was not used to manual work and not as fit as I should be so I found it quite tiring using the slx27 all day, after a couple of months I bought a clx18.
Do you know the types of houses you intend to target i.e. modern or Victorian (taller).
There is a guy on youtube that served in the RAF and then became a window cleaner 'Crystal Clean Windows' he has some good info and is helpful. He does a live on youtube at about 8pm on fridays.

Wow, what a great response, thank you for taking the time out of your day to give me so much expert advice, I will certainly be taking advantage of this to help get me started. In no way do I underestimate what it takes to go self employed, this is one of the reasons I have taken so long to rise to the challenge (imposter syndrome) But with amazing people like you giving me such great advice how can I possibly go wrong. I am targeting new builds predominantly, there is a spotless water fill station near me, so I will utilise their services as it is so much easier
I will make sure I get smaller poles to fit in my car like you mentioned and I am going to watch Crystal Clean Windows as you mentioned, thank you.

Too many brushes, we are all different but I prefer one brush only for every one of my jobs which is an Xtreme sill brush I have the flocked version but only use it on two jobs that's out of over 400 jobs.

A SLX-30 is too heavy a pole as a daily pole even when starting out I'd opt for an SLX-22 with a Number #6 extension to add as required, I'm 5ft tall and can do most of my jobs even some 3-storey modern townhouses without dormers then have a SLX-25 then add a Number #7 extension as required as that's as high as I go these days,

It can be daunting trying to work out exactly what kit you need to cover all the potential jobs, but there many more standard 2 storey houses than 3 storey houses so target those,

A 22ft pole with one extension will also enable you to reach above conservatories and most extensions
Wow this community is so helpful, thank you for the advice, you having given me a much clearer idea of what I require and more importantly what I need going forward, plus you have saved me money on stuff I don't necessarily require, thank you.

Wow this community is so helpful, thank you for the advice, you having given me a much clearer idea of what I require and more importantly what I need going forward, plus you have saved me money on stuff I don't necessarily require, thank you.
If I was you I'd order one brush from the drop-down options with the pole, the ultimate brush is a good brush for a newbie because of that extra thick edging, if you added a swivel gooseneck this allows you to change the position of the brush, great for awkward windows down the sides of houses but also on leaded windows I change the position a bit so the bristles of my brush don't catch on the lead and lift it

1701170032757.png

Attachment a bit tricky to see. If you select the brush bumpers on the same page as when you spec the brush sometimes there is an option to add bumpers at a reduced rate.
Not sure I would get the gutter tool unless you are going to be using ladders.
As for 35cm brushes, while I started out on the 23 and 26cm brushes I recently switched to a 35cm brush and found it so much quicker but it does take a bit more skill to handle, I would stick to the smaller ones at first, you don't need to be fast at the beginning as all your cleans will be 'first cleans' that take more water and more scrubbing plus you won't be full. Speed comes over time, you need to get a routine and quality first, by routine I mean an order to clean the window, like openers first. top header first, work left to right or right to left (where possible).
I can't make out what connectors you have for your backpack and pole. I would say most people use Rectus 21 (Gardiners call EZ-snap). You need a female on the backpack outlet, a male on the pole hose, then if you want an extension you need a male at one end and a female at the other with appropriate O clips.

That reinforced hose isn't great to work with, far better to get the ultraflex hose as it's much more supple and can easily nipped to stop the water flow in between windows.

You've added a gutter scoop but need extra parts for it to work as intended, I don't do gutters so can't comment on its usability.

You also added a 35cm sill brush and brush bumpers, the brush bumpers only fit the Xtreme sill brushes and the brush itself in my opinion is too big for residential work and most likely too big for a newbie to use

Gardiner are talking rubbish I use Rhino Tube with slick connectors 50 metres of hose still works well.

Gardiner are talking rubbish I use Rhino Tube with slick connectors 50 metres of hose still works well.
Gardiners don't say their backpack won't work with 50m of hose just they won't warranty it if used with anything over 20m. The pump is only quite small and not that powerful plus the speed controller will have a max current before it blows. Using 50m of hose will put more strain on the pump and draw more current.
If you are using a Gardiner backpack with 50m of hose and it's working well for you then carry on. I was merely pointing out, to a noob, that it's best to stay within the warranty as they probably will be relying on it for their income.

I'm back pack only I have 4 the oldest ones are 10 years old never replaced the batteries or pumps I join hoses up to 50 meters Gardiner don't give warranty for using chemicals either never had an issue.

Good afternoon everyone.
So after 26 years serving in the RAF I have always wanted a little business to call my own, and I love the idea of being a Window Cleaner and embracing everything such a challenge Offers.
I have put together a little pack on the Gardiner Backpack website and was wondering if this would be a good spec to start with. I would like to expand/grow to a van but I have to convince the wife that I can make any money first as she is a bit sceptical. Happy for any advice, I would say be gentle but you can be as brutal as you like ?
Thanks for your loyal service mate and welcome to a new family

Latest Posts

Back