Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gear Check - Advice Please

WCF

Help Support WCF:

MikeC4444

Hi Guys (& Gals?!),

Just looking for a nod if I have the right idea on my new start in the Window Cleaning world - Domestic to begin with.

Bit of a Background - Who doesn't love a good story.

I grew up helping my dad window clean for years and years and dabbled after leaving school before getting a office job chasing the big title and pay pack. Now I have achieved a flashy title and an average pay pack it's totally not worth the stress, pressure and quite frankly hideous human beings that are following this path (hope im not in that category!) and want to come away from bosses and 'drama' other than what I get at home from my better half.

I'm looking to head back to my roots but never used a water fed pole system before but definetly seems a huge step up over the traditional way I used to do it. My intention is to canvas and build up work at weekends until I have a steady round going for my Saturdays then reduce my current job down to 4 days a week and up my round to 2 full days each week and so on until I can throw my current job off a very large metaphorical cliff.

I am looking at the backpack setups to begin with and throwing a few 25 Litre canisters in the back of my car to fill it up. All going well this would move onto the van based 500 Litre setup etc etc.

I can see you guys recommend Gardiner systems left, right and centre but they seem to be out of stock everywhere I look?

I did find: https://www.windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/facelift-bigboy-2-backpack-phoenix-deal.html

This seemed to cover all bases to start with. I'd buy a couple of batteries to keep ready incase it runs dry mid way through.

Purification I was looking at : https://www.windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/filterplus-ro-system.html

the 600 specifically. I'd run this into a big tank that I'd then use to fill my 25 litre containers to throw in the car.

Any of you guys work solely with Backpacks and manage okay? Definetly want a van setup in the end but this would need to be viable to begin with.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum?

First thing you need to do BEFORE you do anything else is get a TDs meter. If it's low enough you can go Di only. I run a backpack from a car like you are thinking of doing, and if your TDs is under 100 it'll save you a fortune. I managed it Di only for about £450. Window cleaning warehouse backpacks are not the best, although heard good things about the Nigel. I personally use water genie backpack from the cleaning warehouse, and a water genie pole, both extremely good bits of kit.

Thanks for the water genie tip, I'll take a look at them.

I'm from Somerset, wells bath Bristol area ?. 

TD Meter ordered - arriving tomorrow.?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good advice about the TDS/di only setup. However...I would still highly recommend you go with an RO if you have the cash and can afford it. When I first started my TDS out the tap was 80ppm, a few months later it shot up to 400ppm! If I hadn't of went RO I would of been screwed. Just my 2p.

Back