Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

GoCardles overpayment

WCF

Help Support WCF:

BigFoot

Just noticed a Gocardles customer has stopped the mandate at the bank, only on closer inspection I realise it is a customer that stopped me cleaning over two years ago due to building work. The customer was set up like a direct debit to pay out on a set day. she failed to cancel the mandate ( as did I ) They have transferred £390 into My account over that time. Even though I have a number of customers on the same street I have no idea how only now I have realised. It’s not My money so it will be going back to them but It’s a an unexpected pay out.
Anyone els had a situation like this, legaly if they fail to cancel who’s ultimately responsible?

I have had a few customers whose bill is £25 pay me £250 by mistake and an ex commercial client paid me £1200 for a clean around a year after we stoped doing the job they paid me instead of there current window cleaner , it wasn’t a problem I paid them back but just some else to have to sort out ???? this was a BACS payment not gocardless though

If someone has over paid you, then you need to speak to them in person. If a customer has had their bank account hacked and gives you an account number to return the money over the phone, you could be being scammed.

If they failed to cancel then i guess it would be up to them to prove you havent carried out the work that they have paid for.

Just noticed a Gocardles customer has stopped the mandate at the bank, only on closer inspection I realise it is a customer that stopped me cleaning over two years ago due to building work. The customer was set up like a direct debit to pay out on a set day. she failed to cancel the mandate ( as did I ) They have transferred £390 into My account over that time. Even though I have a number of customers on the same street I have no idea how only now I have realised. It’s not My money so it will be going back to them but It’s a an unexpected pay out.
Anyone els had a situation like this, legaly if they fail to cancel who’s ultimately responsible?
This sounds very much like a Standing Order, not a Direct Debit. With Direct Debit (GoCardless) you are requesting the money each time. That is unless you setup a recurring payment. However, if you cancelled the Direct Debit on your end this would stop, regardless if they cancelled it or not.

More likely this customer has setup a Standing Order. They have told their bank to pay you a set amount at a set frequency. It is completely down to them to stop this, you have no control over this. I would reach out to the customer to request it is stopped and then take it from there. In the meantime you could make sure you put aside any funds they pay you so as not to get them mixed up.

Legally I have no idea where you stand. But morally it is still their money, as frustrating as it is.

You could arguably charge a admin fee for the time it will take you to sort this out and lower the repayment you need to make. However I doubt this will go down well.

This is one of the reasons I only request payment after each completed window clean, I've had customers who wanted to set up a standing order which I point blank refuse more so on the grounds that at some point I'd end up owing them money.

You'll have their contact details, Email them this morning and explain what you've discovered and let them know that you'll be reimbursing them via whatever payment method they prefer.

This is one of the reasons I only request payment after each completed window clean, I've had customers who wanted to set up a standing order which I point blank refuse more so on the grounds that at some point I'd end up owing them money.

You'll have their contact details, Email them this morning and explain what you've discovered and let them know that you'll be reimbursing them via whatever payment method they prefer.
I like how you use Gocardless and remember reading your posts years ago and deciding I wanted it for my buisness, Im doing my best to automate as much as possible, this has highlighted a blind spot to how I’m running things though.

Dropped this email to the customer

“Hi ######
I’ve just been electronically notified by GoCardles the payment service used for the window cleaning services that your payment has been Canceled. It is My understanding from My records that you stopped using the cleaning service a little over two years ago, it seams the payments were not canceled?
Please contact Me in order to address this issue.

tel ############

Kind regards”

Had a call within the hour, had her send over bank transfer details and returned her overpayment £390 ?
Very happy lady.
Now the building work is over has booked Me back to clean her windows regularly again.
Lesson learned!

Back