Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Got some RO gear at last..

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Tango

Decided to prowl on ebay. Got spotless in this area now so really was just prowling ebay for used "window cleaning" when a RO system, water tank and barrels turned up in the results.

So.. put my bid in.. didn't expect to win - thought it would shoot up.. got it for less than fifty quid. I was utterly stunned. Picked up yesterday, seller and family were lovely people, they seemed quite happy that it was going to a windy who needed it - and even threw in a TDS meter - Result! Oh yea.. also came with a tub of resin too which feels quite heavy...

So.. got the stuff home.. 100L tank actually turned out to be 250L - another result. Means i can store spare water just in case spotless go down the tubes for maintenance.. (that said i saw the engineer yesterday, he said they got multiple pumps etc in there in case of failure - i digress). Anyhow.. the tank has no tap.. so need to find one of those (and hope the previous one wasn't over tightened etc or i'll have to fix that. Lid also has a hole in it where the vent should be.. So.. got some questions please fellas.

The RO system is the streamline 300GPD one. It seems to have an extra 5th filter though? - not sure what i'm doing with that but i'm thinking it goes after the top membrane filter?

The top (resin?) filter has two outlet pipes. One goes into a 4 way terminal block AV filter thing? - Whats that all about?

Also the tank lid with the missing vent / open hole -  does it need to be vented? IE does the water need air / oxygen or can i just glue a plastic sheet over the hole and be done with it?

Oh and i think my water pressure is not up to scratch... not overly phased at present as i'm not actually planning to use the RO but for backup i kinda need a plan there too.

Thanks for the advice guys

Tango

Decided to prowl on ebay. Got spotless in this area now so really was just prowling ebay for used "window cleaning" when a RO system, water tank and barrels turned up in the results.

So.. put my bid in.. didn't expect to win - thought it would shoot up.. got it for less than fifty quid. I was utterly stunned. Picked up yesterday, seller and family were lovely people, they seemed quite happy that it was going to a windy who needed it - and even threw in a TDS meter - Result! Oh yea.. also came with a tub of resin too which feels quite heavy...

So.. got the stuff home.. 100L tank actually turned out to be 250L - another result. Means i can store spare water just in case spotless go down the tubes for maintenance.. (that said i saw the engineer yesterday, he said they got multiple pumps etc in there in case of failure - i digress). Anyhow.. the tank has no tap.. so need to find one of those (and hope the previous one wasn't over tightened etc or i'll have to fix that. Lid also has a hole in it where the vent should be.. So.. got some questions please fellas.

The RO system is the streamline 300GPD one. It seems to have an extra 5th filter though? - not sure what i'm doing with that but i'm thinking it goes after the top membrane filter?

The top (resin?) filter has two outlet pipes. One goes into a 4 way terminal block AV filter thing? - Whats that all about?

Also the tank lid with the missing vent / open hole -  does it need to be vented? IE does the water need air / oxygen or can i just glue a plastic sheet over the hole and be done with it?

Oh and i think my water pressure is not up to scratch... not overly phased at present as i'm not actually planning to use the RO but for backup i kinda need a plan there too.

Thanks for the advice guys

Tango

I think we need to see a photo of it to help us reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure thing.. So this is the tank and lid:

screenshot_990.jpg screenshot_989.jpg

I've worked out from the wydale site that it had a vent of sorts there. Is it mandatory or can I glue some plastic over it and reseal it? - Does the RO need oxygen?

Next up is the RO setup:

screenshot_991.jpg  screenshot_992.jpg

Spoke to the previous owner who says that seperate filter is the resin and needs to be last on the pipe - final stage. That's great.. managed to eventually open up the damn thing (it was proper tight) and sure enough, there was the resin bottle. One snag though.. it's missing the plastic nut - can they be bought seperately?

Snag is i'm getting a really low output - pressure gauge doesn't go up much either. Now I'm not planning on using this as my main supply but if spotless goes down the pan for whatever reason I do need a backup so need to get this output up just in case.

Also whats this 4 way block / AV filter all about? - Streamline's video calls it an AV filter (if memory serves) but makes no mention of what it actually does. Any ideas? - Is it necessary? - Can i scrap it and nick a plastic nut from it? lol

screenshot_993.jpg

Thanks,

Tango

View attachment 17001 View attachment 17002

I've worked out from the wydale site that it had a vent of sorts there. Is it mandatory or can I glue some plastic over it and reseal it? - Does the RO need oxygen?

Next up is the RO setup:

View attachment 17003  View attachment 17004

Spoke to the previous owner who says that seperate filter is the resin and needs to be last on the pipe - final stage. That's great.. managed to eventually open up the damn thing (it was proper tight) and sure enough, there was the resin bottle. One snag though.. it's missing the plastic nut - can they be bought seperately?

Snag is i'm getting a really low output - pressure gauge doesn't go up much either. Now I'm not planning on using this as my main supply but if spotless goes down the pan for whatever reason I do need a backup so need to get this output up just in case.

Also whats this 4 way block / AV filter all about? - Streamline's video calls it an AV filter (if memory serves) but makes no mention of what it actually does. Any ideas? - Is it necessary? - Can i scrap it and nick a plastic nut from it? lol

View attachment 17005

Thanks,

Tango

It looks similar to my Pure Freedom RO system.

The pure water output is slow. Mine takes about 36 hours to fill a 1000L IBC tank. So, if it seems slow, then that's what the output is. It trickles. 

View attachment 17001 View attachment 17002

Next up is the RO setup:

View attachment 17003  View attachment 17004

View attachment 17005

Thanks,

Tango
You need a vent in the cap/lid to let air out when the tank fills up and let air in when you empty the tank.

I think Wydale sell the lid as a complete assembly

http://www.wydaleplastics.co.uk/Products/206/8-External-Vented-Lid.html

I'm guessing that the previous guy just removed the vent cap so he could use the hole to fill the tank.

The 4 way block is a r/o switch off valve. I have never used one but I think one side goes on the pure pipe and the other on the waste. When the ball valve closes the pure off when the tank is full, the waste also stops so effectively stopping the r/o from producing water.

You need to find out what your water pressure is. These r/o don't produce water very quickly.

You also need to work out what your pure to waste ratio is. In other words how many liters of pure do you produce against how much water goes down the drain in the same time.

Latest Posts

Back